PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Federation Melee weapon?

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 12:24 PM
I am playing with a pretty casual group of people, and for the ground missions make my character a melee dmg dealer, or at least have the option... I am more into space combat personally, but thought it might be fun to try.

Any general advice for STO melee? and of course what weapon should I get?

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 12:26 PM
you only have 2 options, martial arts or batleth, there both ok but you won't be doing anything like the damage of ranged weapons.

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Can you equip a bat'leth if you also have 2 ranged weapons equipped or does it take one of those slots?

I dont suppose it would be useful either way, but it could be fun to play with.

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Yes: don't do it. We have guns now; you don't need to slap someone around, shoot them in the face instead. (well back of the head preferable, but you get the idea)

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
it takes a weapon slot (as does martial arts) their fun but not THAT effective.

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Can you equip a bat'leth if you also have 2 ranged weapons equipped or does it take one of those slots?

I dont suppose it would be useful either way, but it could be fun to play with.

Yeah I am just doing it for fun ground missions are quite a bit on the easy side anyways.

Will get a batleth, is there any particular skills that help with that weapon?

Anyone know which is better, martial arts or using a batleth?

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Does the skill "close combat training" improve use with the batleth?

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Some places/pvp matches should force a special 'hands only' fight.

Which would, quite frankly, ROCK!
The hand-to-hand combat anims are quite spiffy, and well-deserving of a little use now and again.

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Where do you go to get the bat'leth?

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
The best melee weapon is the butt of the best ranged weapon. :cool:

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I am playing with a pretty casual group of people, and for the ground missions make my character a melee dmg dealer, or at least have the option... I am more into space combat personally, but thought it might be fun to try.

Not tried much melee, but this looks like it might help:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=97085

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 05:36 PM
The best melee weapon is the butt of the best ranged weapon. :cool:

true story?

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Not tried much melee, but this looks like it might help:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=97085

Thank you, that is tons of great info.

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 06:19 PM
That guide is fantastic! Thanks for linking it.

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I had one last question on the subject, for federation tactical officers what skills would you put points into to increase the Bat'leth effectiveness?

Archived Post
02-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I find martial arts to be a very effective alternative to ranged weapons. It works especially well against enemies that heal shields. The lunge attack from the Tactical kit is also an exploit attack. If you use melee combos, you can do good singletarget and AE damage.

The best part about it is that melee attacks ignore shields.

Archived Post
02-04-2010, 12:16 AM
The Batleth will actually do a lot of damage, both of the exploit attacks will give you two chances to expose the target while performing the combo plus the added bleed damage is based on how much the attack does.

At commander 1 to commander 5ish i would see 200-300 hits jumping up to 400-600 if the target was exposed. a quick and dirty guess would put the bleed damage at about 50% of the initial attack.

All this is on a fed char with no physical strength traits, i do have all the melee skills maxed and a 7.5% physical strength piece of body armour.

Archived Post
02-04-2010, 12:23 AM
The Batleth will actually do a lot of damage, both of the exploit attacks will give you two chances to expose the target while performing the combo plus the added bleed damage is based on how much the attack does.

At commander 1 to commander 5ish i would see 200-300 hits jumping up to 400-600 if the target was exposed. a quick and dirty guess would put the bleed damage at about 50% of the initial attack.

All this is on a fed char with no physical strength traits, i do have all the melee skills maxed and a 7.5% physical strength piece of body armour.

meh, batleths are fun but after a while they get boring.

Archived Post
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey all. Just so you know, Bat'leths are exceptionally powerful in PvE and can be deadly in PvP as well, especially if combined with an "Operative" tactical kit. For PvE I usually prefer the "Close Combat" tactical kit. If you're not a tactical officer... see my guide for more info (see link previous in this thread).

About the only place that I don't use them is large-scale PvE fights because I get stunned too much at close range.

While my guide has more info, just keep in mind that Bat'leths are incredible combo weapons - their basic attacks all expose and their finishing moves exploit. Also, all melee damage ignores shields. Very very effective vs. Borg especially.

Unarmed combat is also nice, especially since it can disable the enemy and spin kick is an AoE exploit attack. No kidding. I usually use Bat'leths, but hey, I *am* a Klingon ;)

As to the skills relevant to it, it's these:

Close Combat Training
Special Forces
Martial Arts

PM me if you have questions!

Archived Post
05-06-2010, 04:59 PM
In addition, on your Skills menu, there's a drop-down in the upper-right corner were you can select your powers, including attacks for equipped weapons like a bat'leth. When you select an attack/power, the Skills menu will display the Skills relevant to that attack/power.

The More You Know!