Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Graphical and Sound Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   New game card? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=100221)

Archived Post 02-03-2010 06:52 AM

New game card?
 
I have an HP Pavilion with amd phenom II x4 820 quadcore processor comp with nvidia geforce 9100 integrated graphics card, and this game runs poorly on my comp. Do I need a new game/video card, and if so, what would you recomend?

Archived Post 02-03-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpoo
I have an HP Pavilion with amd phenom II x4 820 quadcore processor comp with nvidia geforce 9100 integrated graphics card, and this game runs poorly on my comp. Do I need a new game/video card, and if so, what would you recomend?


Usualy intergrated graphics arn't what you want to use for games. They are more for those who want HD video and things like that.

If money is no a concern they you want to be looking for mid to upper range nvidia 3xx series card like say a 360 or 380. If you need to save some cash then buying a used 8800 or 9800 would let you run the game with flying colors. Just make sure if you buy one of those upper end cards you have the pcie power connector to plug into those cards.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 09:16 AM

I have the same set up. The beta worked fine. Now not so much

Archived Post 02-03-2010 01:06 PM

Yeah, I have an Nvidia 260 GTX and during closed and open beta, I got around 60 FPS during all of space combat, but now I tend to get around 25 fps... it makes no sense to me... I am using the new beta nvidia drivers, but I was still getting 60 fps in space before the last patch.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 01:37 PM

Sweet
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by THeBaka
Usualy intergrated graphics arn't what you want to use for games. They are more for those who want HD video and things like that.

If money is no a concern they you want to be looking for mid to upper range nvidia 3xx series card like say a 360 or 380. If you need to save some cash then buying a used 8800 or 9800 would let you run the game with flying colors. Just make sure if you buy one of those upper end cards you have the pcie power connector to plug into those cards.

Thank you for your imput, I appreciate it.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 01:57 PM

dont get a ati HD 4870.. awesome card but STO is having low FPS issues with ATI cards.
I guess some NVIDIA cards also..

Archived Post 02-03-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grajin (Post 1900906)
dont get a ati HD 4870.. awesome card but STO is having low FPS issues with ATI cards.
I guess some NVIDIA cards also..

It's both ATI and Nvidia cards that are having some problems with the game right now, but thats to be expected. The servers haven't even been live for a week.

At the moment, ATI cards will give you the biggest bang for your buck but there are some decent Nvidia cards out there as well if you are devoted fan.

OP: How big is your power supply? This is fairly critical before deciding on a new card.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefrayl (Post 1901419)
It's both ATI and Nvidia cards that are having some problems with the game right now, but thats to be expected. The servers haven't even been live for a week.

At the moment, ATI cards will give you the biggest bang for your buck but there are some decent Nvidia cards out there as well if you are devoted fan.

OP: How big is your power supply? This is fairly critical before deciding on a new card.

Good advice to check on the power supply, or your PC will have a 2nd power supply next to it rigged to a power strip as the power on button for your pc...1 300watt 1 340 watt for vid card (overkill)

... like me :D

Archived Post 02-03-2010 06:48 PM

What about this?
 
What about this game card, it's $79.99:
Galaxy - Nvidia GT 220 1gb ddr2 PCI express graphics card

or this one which is $89.99:
Galaxy - Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1g ddr2 PCI express graphics card

Anyone know what the difference between the two would be? and also would the 10 dollars more be worth it, and would either of those be good for playing this game?

Archived Post 02-03-2010 06:55 PM

If you want honest advice then post your full pc specs includimg the PSU.

Just for pity sake the 2 cards you just posted are not worth the money and stay well clear.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 AM.