Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Feedback on upcoming Ground Kit Revamp (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1004571)

majortiraomega 01-31-2014 06:19 PM

Feedback on upcoming Ground Kit Revamp

The new Priority One Podcast with CaptainGeko revealed that Season 9 will feature a new kit revamp. (Listen to Interview, jump to 25:10 for Kit Revamp)

Apparently, all kits will be broken up into individual abilities. It will then be possible to slot five kit abilities into the kit slot at level 50. However, they also plan to convert non-consumable devices, such as the Shard of Possibilities, Ophidian Cane, and the Frosted Boots into Universal kit powers. As a result, players would be forced to decide between existing class kit abilities and non-consumable devices. Geko did ask for feedback, thus I decided to start a thread on the subject.

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.

duncanidaho11 01-31-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortiraomega (Post 14877401)

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Non-consumables are not a supplement for kit powers, they are a compliment. The shard of possibilities on my three-purple-security-doff tac officer allows for the development of a distinct "horde" playstyle. If I had to choose between that and something more basic like Ambush or Motion Acceleration I'd probably loose out on that extreme gameplay pathway (unless other options were also made available.)

kjwashington 01-31-2014 06:28 PM

I agree with everything said before this point.

hevach 01-31-2014 06:31 PM

I would hope if they do that, they'd also expand how many ability slots we have to chose from. Otherwise, yeah, that is a pretty hefty reduction in deck space. Ground's already really ability-light, and hasn't been hit by power creep nearly as hard as space.

majortiraomega 01-31-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevach (Post 14877541)
I would hope if they do that, they'd also expand how many ability slots we have to chose from.

Personally, I want the kit slots to remain at 5, otherwise you will further decrease build variance because everyone will have enough slots to use the majority of the kit abilities. 5 kit slots and 4 device slots is perfect, splitting kits into separate abilities is great, but I don't want to see them go overboard on it by turning all non-consumable devices into kit abilities. You know what would come next, universal lockbox kit abilities with superior stats to existing kit abilities. I personally don't want to see that kind of thing added to the game.

sparhawk 01-31-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Completely agree. I would only agree to the "conversion" mentioned by Geko if they added more slots to the kits (3 more?) specifically dedicated to these types of items.

szerontzur 01-31-2014 06:40 PM

You know, moving some devices into kit powers certainly a controversial choice, but I do think it is the right one. Keep in mind that he mentioned kits would be 5-slot items that would potentially allow you to fill it with fully upgraded abilities(rather than having a mix of high and low tier abilities).

There are still some details like how a borg modulation device or combat pets will factor into that. Overall though, I think it will be a good change for the game that embraces player choice and customization.

My only concern is feature/power creep with lockboxes like we have for space equipment. Space gear is a super-convoluted mess right now(doffs, reputations, lobi gear, etc.), and this change may very well open the door for it to happen to ground combat as well. The question that remains to be seen is whether greed will (once again) win out over solid gameplay design.

f2pdrakron 01-31-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Geko did ask for feedback, thus I decided to start a thread on the subject.

Well sucks to be you them since its abundant clear he doesnt even read the forums and of course I never seen Cryptic taking feedback in account unless is in support of their decisions.

noblet 01-31-2014 06:43 PM

Gemmick devices just aren't as powerful as most kit abilities, and isn't worth a slot. It's like when they convert gemmick consoles, like saucer separation, from innate ability into consoles - few people wanted to gimp their fit by wasting a slot on it. It's a waste, these things offer flavor.

hevach 01-31-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortiraomega (Post 14877581)
Personally, I want the kit slots to remain at 5, otherwise you will further decrease build variance because everyone will have enough slots to use the majority of the kit abilities.

That could quickly become the case if devices remained where they are, but with devices moved the pool of available kit abilities almost doubles (and will presumably only grow with time).

The bigger issue I think is that over time devices would overrun kit powers to the point that rather than everybody having room for most kit abilities, nobody has room for much of any kit abilities, having them choked out by better things from lockboxes or FEs. It's not a problem you run into with space powers, as they occupy incompatible spaces.