Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   T2: 3 cruisers 2 science vessels: someone know what to do? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=100645)

Archived Post 02-03-2010 10:12 AM

T2: 3 cruisers 2 science vessels: someone know what to do?

One question to the experienced Klingons: last few hours the most fed groups I saw was 3 cruisers and 2 science vessels. 90% of this matches were lost. Someone of you have an idea how handle this ship combination?

For me it seems as it' s combination T2 after all is very unbalanced isn' t it?

Archived Post 02-03-2010 10:23 AM

Well, what are their levels and captains? Hybrids can be a bit of a mixed bag. Some go hybrid for better survivability (engi->anything or anything->cruiser), others for damage and debuff. Find the weakest links, or ways to disable ships more thoroughly. Draining power is a viable tactic against most, unless they're Engies or stacking EPS consoles.

After the first assault check to see who was doing the most damage, and who was healing the most. Only hit the damage dealers if you're sure they're really pumping DPS out, or if your previous order wasn't very expedient. Knock those healers down if you notice they're saving too many skins.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 10:23 AM

Played entire Tier 2 with my Fleet's pre-made and we lost a single battle to a single Fed Fleet pre-made. They used the 3 cruiser 2 sci ship combo and rocked our world. Are you just running into the same very well organzied group?

Archived Post 02-03-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheepishOne (Post 1897802)
Draining power is a viable tactic against most, unless they're Engies or stacking EPS consoles.

Horrible idea. The only science skills that should be used are healing and crowd control, drain power is neither.

Sceince Vessels should be going down first since they most likely do not have Reverse Shield Polarity and they will posses significant crowd control skill in T2. They are more of a threat then the lumbering cruisers. Once they are down and you move on to cruiser make sure to switch focus fire every time they use RSP, keep track of the green glow to see when RSP is down and switch back your FF to the target.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 10:30 AM

When facing this, I find which ships I can peel shields off of the quickest. Not every cruiser/sci is the same, and some are far squishier than others. Find the weak spot, find the healers.

Reprioritize targets if your initial target has RSP. Pick a different target.
Got enemy healers? Move them up on the priority target list.

Make faster engagement/disengagement strikes(don't stick around and dogfight) until you've identified the weak links and the healers, then focus your effortson them.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 10:37 AM

My feeling is we Klingons probably need to invest in more survival skills -- Medical Team, Engineering Team, Hazard Emitters, etc.

The problem with these heavy Fed fleets is that they're holding together better than we are. Even if we successfully flee from combat with Evasive and Battle Cloak, that's not helping get kills.

I swapped out my T2 Tactical with Rapid Fire for a T2 Engineer with Reverse Shield Polarity. I can't instantly blast down someone's shields but now at least when they throw out a Reverse Shield Poliarty and start repairs, I can do the same thing and keep in the fight longer and get back quicker.

So my T2 BOP loadout right now is:
Science -> Medical Team
Tactical -> High Yield Torpedo
Engineer -> Engineering Team I + Reverse Shield Polarity

Not only can I do some tanking but I can help out teammates in trouble, too.

I don't think EVERY Klingon should do this, because we do still need DPS, but I think engineers and science officer Klingons in particular should ponder a build like this. If we're all DPS we just don't last long enough against a well played defensive Fed team.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 10:43 AM

The problem is Science vessels and Cruisers have huge reset buttons for hull and shields. All BoP and Raptors can do is run and cloak, while not regenerating shields. Auto-Fire almost completely negates the surprise from cloak, and mines get shot at by turrets. If you take more survival skills as a klingon, you won't break the ball and there is no point in playing. If you take more dps skills, mouth breathers using auto fire will kill the first 2 or 3 ships that uncloak before 1 fed's shields are down because we have paper thin hulls.

T2 is the end of casual fun pvp. You simply grind it and wonder wtf cryptic was thinking.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lx31
The problem is Science vessels and Cruisers have huge reset buttons for hull and shields.

Huh? What do you mean? I only briefly played a Fed cruiser in beta but I don't recall any kind of "huge reset button for hull and shields".

If you're referring to things like Engineering Team and Reverse Shield Polarity, we can do that stuff too.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lx31
The problem is Science vessels and Cruisers have huge reset buttons for hull and shields. All BoP and Raptors can do is run and cloak, while not regenerating shields. Auto-Fire almost completely negates the surprise from cloak, and mines get shot at by turrets. If you take more survival skills as a klingon, you won't break the ball and there is no point in playing. If you take more dps skills, mouth breathers using auto fire will kill the first 2 or 3 ships that uncloak before 1 fed's shields are down because we have paper thin hulls.

T2 is the end of casual fun pvp. You simply grind it and wonder wtf cryptic was thinking.

Personally, I'm a DPS BoP pilot...I think they should take all dps all the time. Once we get the T2 cruiser, I think it'd be worthwhile to have some of the buff/defense type skills...but not until then. I agree that if we don't go full DPS right now, the Feds will just blast us into tiny pieces with their mighty spacebar.

But you know, Fed players are crying that Klinks are massively OP and need to be nerfed. *eyeroll*

Archived Post 02-03-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt.Renak (Post 1897605)
One question to the experienced Klingons: last few hours the most fed groups I saw was 3 cruisers and 2 science vessels. 90% of this matches were lost. Someone of you have an idea how handle this ship combination?

For me it seems as it' s combination T2 after all is very unbalanced isn' t it?

You're going to have to disrupt their ability to support one another.

This is where feds are truly strong. They -could- be almost this strong in t1, but they don't try because they don't know what to do.

You are beginning to witness what the balance between feds and KDF really is. The KDF are predator and feds are prey. If the feds really work together, it creates a situation where -each one- of them is as strong as the whole.

This is what the pvp is intended to teach them, and it's good to see them learning to play together.

Now you get to learn to play better too.

In beta, in t2 the best kdf we had against the best feds we had, the feds won most of the time. Only if the feds screw up do they lose the initial encounter.

Once kdf gets a cruiser in t2, this may swing back.