Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Combat practice - where? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=101453)

Archived Post 02-03-2010 07:47 PM

Combat practice - where?

Does anyone know an area where a person can go and practice ground combat against respawning foes, to practice strategies, and to collect loot and gear? I am finding it difficult to get enough loot to sell off of regular missions, and I feel very panicked when I don't have enough practice trying things out before being presented with a mission to solve.

Also, what if any, is the death penalty? What happens when your character dies or the bridge crew dies?

Archived Post 02-03-2010 07:52 PM

there isnt any designated free zone to p[ractice... you really should have NO trouble in the starting missions or any up untill well after lvl 15...

there is no penalty for dieing in the game so far so feal free to rambo everything. your away team will automatically revive u

Archived Post 02-03-2010 07:58 PM

If you die and your team wins that skirmish, they will revive you once the fighting is done. If a away team member dies, you can revive them using a skill. If everyone dies, you can revive everyone, reappearing at the respawn point.

If you want to practice ground fighting, and are around LtC 2, you can go to the Laurentian system and do the ground fleet action there. it is 'broken' in the sense that it is sometimes unbeatable, but that just means you'll be able to sit there and kill baddies ad infinitum, or until you get real tired and decide to beam out.

Otherwise, exploration missions sometimes have ground components, and those are repeatable.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 08:00 PM

Awesome, thanks you guys!

Archived Post 02-03-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaMHC
If you die and your team wins that skirmish, they will revive you once the fighting is done. If a away team member dies, you can revive them using a skill. If everyone dies, you can revive everyone, reappearing at the respawn point.

If you want to practice ground fighting, and are around LtC 2, you can go to the Laurentian system and do the ground fleet action there. it is 'broken' in the sense that it is sometimes unbeatable, but that just means you'll be able to sit there and kill baddies ad infinitum, or until you get real tired and decide to beam out.

Otherwise, exploration missions sometimes have ground components, and those are repeatable.

I would not recommend doing that, for if you get caught exploiting bugs, bad things are known to happen.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metl (Post 1906228)
I would not recommend doing that, for if you get caught exploiting bugs, bad things are known to happen.

or another way is just go into one of the clusters where you do explore missions. those are where the random mission show up . and scan anomalies and chances are high you'll get a combat one.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metl (Post 1906228)

This isn't really exploiting the bug... Even under circumstances where the mission is working, you could still kill boatloads of dudes without completing the mission objectives. This person wants practice, which doesn't give any tangible material benefit beyond their own satisfaction, so this isn't really exploitation.

Exploitation is what people do to the crystalline entity.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 09:40 PM

A couple of times I had to beam out in the middle of a ground mission, and when I beamed back down to continue the mission, it put me back at the start with everything respawned. I'm assuming you can keep doing that as much as you want, in which case it'd be perfect because you don't have to rely on randomness at all, plus you can pick a mission you like.