Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Rubber Banding Whilst Playing - what causes this? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=101807)

Archived Post 02-04-2010 02:29 AM

Rubber Banding Whilst Playing - what causes this?

Okay, this might seem like an ignorant question to some, but I'd really like to know why it's nearly impossible for me to play the game due to this "rubber banding" effect?

For those of you who have never experienced it, ship movement is impossible as it only seems to jump forward and then snaps back to the starting position. I'll jump into the instance on missions where you have to work as a group, start out fine, but two minutes in everything goes to crap. Boing-boing!

What causes this? Is there anything that can be done?

Archived Post 02-04-2010 02:32 AM

I get this problem if downloading anything whilst playing. But if I don't, then the game works fine. So i'd say it's down to your internet connection, and not the game itself.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 02:33 AM

Packet Losses during the Connection.

You didn't sent your actual position to the server AND/OR the server didn't receive your actual position coordinates, thus sending you back to your last, to the server known , coordinates i.e. causing this so called "rubber-banding" effect.

Now what causes the packet losses is an entirely different matter. It can be you, it can be your ISP, it can be blocked ports, it can be Cryptic servers are overloaded, etc. etc. etc.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 02:40 AM

Ah ha . . .

My machine is fairly high spec and I'm not downloading anything whilst playing. Could it be server over-load?

The thing is, I woke up early this morning 5am GMT and managed to squeak in few missions before I had to go to work. The game performed as should - smooth flight, no delay in messages, etc. When playing last night between 7 - 10 pm GMT it took at least 4 minutes between the time I would type a message unitl it was displayed in the chat box.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch (Post 1909990)
Ah ha . . .

My machine is fairly high spec and I'm not downloading anything whilst playing. Could it be server over-load?

The thing is, I woke up early this morning 5am GMT and managed to squeak in few missions before I had to go to work. The game performed as should - smooth flight, no delay in messages, etc. When playing last night between 7 - 10 pm GMT it took at least 4 minutes between the time I would type a message unitl it was displayed in the chat box.

Wouldn't be your machine, would be strain on your internet connection- and 7-10pm would mean more people on the internet... but I thought broadband didn't have that problem...
Do many other people share the connection at home? Might be that?

Archived Post 02-04-2010 02:48 AM

Your machine can be a super computer for all you could care. Not downloading is no indicator at all. There's more to internet connection than downloading or not. Lots of factor play a role whether your connection is stable or not.

But yes, I'm personally guessing it's faulty on Cryptic's end, since they announced they're getting new server capacity this week(end?).

Archived Post 02-04-2010 02:58 AM

Unless you are getting it constantly it is from being on an overloaded machine in the cluster (you can often fix this by switching what instance # you are in). If you are getting it constantly check your ISP's site for any reports of errors and if that shows nothing run a trace route (tracert) because it might be an ISP upstream or downstream from the ISP you pay your bills too.

When a router gets overloaded it can drop packets to ease the load. This normally isn't much of a problem for browsing or downloading as your software will detect the packet loss and resend/request the lost packet again. But for gaming or VOIP the packet loss is noticeable because the data needs to be sent in a small time frame or the effects (rubberbanding in gaming, skipping and dropouts in VOIP) are noticeable.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 03:11 AM

Thanks for all of the good info!

In response to some of the things mentioned:
no one else was on the home network at the time
changing instances (when I finally manage to escape!) only temporarily solved the issue
this condition has never been experienced with other MMOs I've particapated in (SWG, WOW, Vanguard, Conan, PotBS, etc.)

However, I will check the connection when I get home tonight. BT is usually pretty relaible.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 03:18 AM

Use the in game command /netgraph 1

Lets you keep a little track of the traffic between you and server.

If it stays with high ping and/or packet loss, close game relaunch game, in the launcher under settings, try using the proxy option given there...
Since it might be your ISP who send your packets the long way around

Archived Post 02-04-2010 03:19 AM

Probably just the cluster then. They are bringing more servers online but at US/Euro cross over time it is very obviously over loaded.