Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   STO Gold Spam (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102260)

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:03 AM

STO Gold Spam

To Cryptic:
Every day since the official launch, I've been getting STOGold spam. I've reported each message as spam in the game client, but I'm getting more. It's always from a new user once you block the old one. Any way we can get a custom filter to screen out subject names like "stogold"? Also, it's all from the same website - it should be possible to make an effective filter for everyone against this.

To Players:
Please do not buy from STOGold or any other gold farming group. This encourages a parasitic company to make money off of you for something you can do in-game yourself. They also require your username/password, this is dangerous to give out as you could lose your account. Especially if you have a Lifetime Sub, as that makes your account worth at least $300 to someone on eBay. Hopefully Cryptic can come up with a creative solution. Until then, beware of spam like STOGold.

This ends my PSA:
Now go back and explore new worlds (or fight for glory if you're playing Klingon).
:D

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:05 AM

What I am wondering is:

How the hell do they even to this spam?

They need an account to spam people ingame.
And since there is no free trial (yet), they would have to buy a full version of the game for that (which gets banned anyway).

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:07 AM

Could you just add a filter to autodelete mails and flag accounts if he subject is "one" or "stogold"

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:10 AM

Filters wont do any good. theyd just use other characters to get around it. just wait till you are required to have a full retail key to access the game. You wont see any gold spam, and if you do, then it would be the players fault for letting their comp get keylogged.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalerra
What I am wondering is:

How the hell do they even to this spam?

They need an account to spam people ingame.
And since there is no free trial (yet), they would have to buy a full version of the game for that (which gets banned anyway).

they may have obtained free beta keys

Also less scrupulous RMT will actually use credit card details of customers to purchase accounts of the game to spam and then simply claim a chargeback against the game before the transaction is correctly deducted.

Also I am not sure Forum accounts are tied to game accounts? ( i could be wrong but with names like fsgdsa and gsddfs I am guessing not)

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:12 AM

I got 2 from them now in my box, I am going to wait and see how many I can get in a day. It has to be a player because there was someone in game spamming about it in the chatbox, way i got it figured is he got in game and started just making a list of people and started spamming. I blocked him ingame and I havent seen it again since I did that, but my mail still get hit on a regular basis.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgp123 (Post 1915791)
Filters wont do any good. theyd just use other characters to get around it. just wait till you are required to have a full retail key to access the game. You wont see any gold spam, and if you do, then it would be the players fault for letting their comp get keylogged.

Uh...you were required to have a retail key yesterday. So the spam in my in-game mail box from today is from paying accounts.

And just FYI, you don't need a keylogger to get in-game or forum spam.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:27 AM

I have this is same problem. It's getting really annoying.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantisa
Uh...you were required to have a retail key yesterday. So the spam in my in-game mail box from today is from paying accounts.

And just FYI, you don't need a keylogger to get in-game or forum spam.

No, now you don't need a retail key. Cryptic said days ago that when headstart finished, all players will have some days to put their retail keys. I don't remember exactly the number but is around a week.

Archived Post 02-04-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalveen (Post 1916149)
No, now you don't need a retail key. Cryptic said days ago that when headstart finished, all players will have some days to put their retail keys. I don't remember exactly the number but is around a week.

Yes, you do. I procrastinated in picking up my retail copy and yesterday I couldn't play without first entering a retail key.