Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Any hard facts on what Boarding Party does? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=103992)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 06:29 AM

Any hard facts on what Boarding Party does?

Not when you get boarded by NPC's - I'd guess that is a different version. I just got it to goof around with it. I know from reading its suppose to basically send some of your guys over there (I don't know if they can get thru shields, I assumed they could), and your BP's muck things up effectively. No fixed action taken, they try to do whatever. In short it randomizes stuff like killing some crew, lowering power levels, and rarely disabling systems.

Course... thats all theory - cause from what I have read, and little I have seen, there really is zero feedback on what your BPs are doing. I'm sure they suck compared to just blowing someone up (unless you get a lucky roll on what they do), but I'd still like to use them for the coolness factor! I'd just like to know do they suck sooooo badly that they effectively do nothing, or are they even slightly worth it.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 06:31 AM

Basically, its supposed to be a damage over time effect... I used it during beta, but have no hard numbers.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 07:43 AM

Ok, I didn't think it did damage, I thought it was suppose to do a debuff. I'll still give it a shot more in game, but its rough when you don't even get an indication if they made it onboard! :)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 07:51 AM

well, on several occasions i disabled every system on my opponent using an away team... its really useful against hose damn d'Deridex and scimitars.... i send over a boarding party right before they hit me with Viral MAtrix, their systems get taken offline as well its like a "hahaha." moment

Archived Post 02-05-2010 07:56 AM

Yea I used boarding party during beta as well. Effects I have seen and can attest to:

1) Decreaed rate of hull integrity regeneration

2) Loss of all shields for 10-15 seconds

3) Loss of all weapons for 10-15 seconds

4) Very very rare--- warp core breach (ok this is what i am calling it when my BP beams back and 5 secnods later the ship explodes for 18k damage and I didn't fire a weapon at it)

They have thier uses and I will have 1 BOF that has this ability.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:36 AM

5) loss of all power engins (forced all stop) for 10-15 seconds
basicly they disable subsystems, kill crew, and generally stur **** up

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:50 AM

Things that happen with Boarding Party

1. Enemy crew dies. This results in lower hull repair ability, lower ability to bring damaged systems back online, and slight decreases in overall system efficiency.

2. Systems go down. Sometimes one, sometimes more I love it when weapons and/or shields go down. I think this based off the opposing ship's ability to fight the boarders off and some random luck. Could be engines, weapons, shields, or auxiliary.

3. Catastrophic sabotage, what I call the sudden space explosion after the boarders come back. Usually happens on smaller vessels that have less crew. I guess it represents my boarders taking out most of the crew and blowing the ship up.

I just wish my boarders could capture the enemy ship and I could keep it...

Anyway I love this ability.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:13 AM

I have seen it take down shields
Lower crew numbers on ships
Make shields flicker on and off for few seconds

have not seen the systems shutdown (woulda been nice )

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:49 AM

Ok, so all cool stuff, albeit pretty random what actually happens... Enough for me to keep playing with it for a while (I'm actually playing to have fun, instead of level, which to be honest is something new for me in MMOs!). I just wish there was some good feedback, even just a communications from them in text.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:08 AM

You know what wold be really cool ... if Crytpic ever decides to ad this extra contect. BPs actually capturing enemy ships. Something like in "ST DS9 - Dominion wars". I'll let your imagination go further. ...