Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Let ours Sensorís Sense something. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=104130)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:28 AM

Let ours Sensorís Sense something.
 
This is supposed to be the future, today I can whip out my gps and it will give me coordinates of where something is, it does not just tell me there is something here Ďgo look for ití. So why donít the highly advanced ship sensors do the same? What I would like to see is after you engage your sensors they actually show you on the area map where the anomaly, base, etc. is actually located. There could be a finite range of these sensors tied to a skill or piece of equipment. This would still promote exploring a system while at the same time feel more realistic and less frustrating.

That is all!

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trof (Post 1936822)
This is supposed to be the future, today I can whip out my gps and it will give me coordinates of where something is, it does not just tell me there is something here Ďgo look for ití. So why donít the highly advanced ship sensors do the same? What I would like to see is after you engage your sensors they actually show you on the area map where the anomaly, base, etc. is actually located. There could be a finite range of these sensors tied to a skill or piece of equipment. This would still promote exploring a system while at the same time feel more realistic and less frustrating.

That is all!

Oh yes please - i've had a couple of threads on this myself. No idea why the sensors are so limited in their application. They are basically anomoly hunters. Why cant they point me in the direction of the nearest Klingon lifer sign or Gorn warp signature?

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wd_harding
Oh yes please - i've had a couple of threads on this myself. No idea why the sensors are so limited in their application. They are basically anomoly hunters. Why cant they point me in the direction of the nearest Klingon lifer sign or Gorn warp signature?

Yes exactly, we are in the future and all they can pick up is an anomoly and then they cant tell where it is, just that there is one out there....

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trof (Post 1936822)
This is supposed to be the future, today I can whip out my gps and it will give me coordinates of where something is, it does not just tell me there is something here Ďgo look for ití. So why donít the highly advanced ship sensors do the same? What I would like to see is after you engage your sensors they actually show you on the area map where the anomaly, base, etc. is actually located. There could be a finite range of these sensors tied to a skill or piece of equipment. This would still promote exploring a system while at the same time feel more realistic and less frustrating.

That is all!

There are some missions, where this does actually happen. Oddly though, not most.

I'd love to see scensors and tricorders fleshed out. Let us select what we want to scan for (i.e. lifeforms, energy signatures, etc). Other than that, I quite like the actuall way the scanning functions (i.e. the beam rotates, finally but briefly pointing the way).

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:42 PM

The sensors do point you toward the next objective usually if you have to interact with something, not just to anomalies. But I would like to see the role of sensors expanded to other things, especially for science ships.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:51 PM

Exactly. There is even a scan button on the local map. It would make sense if those anon items were marked on the map based on what is in.... sensor range!

So all ships and capt classes should have a base sensor and mark to map process. This goes for everything, targets, resources, mission target location etc. Cant find your mission item... do a sensor sweep!


Alternative suggestion:

Make it a skill or tied to your specialization and related to helping with crafting.

Example of Rank Science, Engeering, then Tactical. Science folks can see the farthest and locate the most resources on a map. Throw them a bone for not being able to keep up with the jones on the damage charts :)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dryan
There are some missions, where this does actually happen. Oddly though, not most.

I'd love to see scensors and tricorders fleshed out. Let us select what we want to scan for (i.e. lifeforms, energy signatures, etc). Other than that, I quite like the actuall way the scanning functions (i.e. the beam rotates, finally but briefly pointing the way).

That is a good idea. Have it where are doing Star Trek things. How many episodes are led in with someone picking something up on the ships sensors... or scanning with a tricorder...

There are so many possibilities to add flavor and fun.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phasetran9
Exactly. There is even a scan button on the local map. It would make sense if those anon items were marked on the map based on what is in.... sensor range!

So all ships and capt classes should have a base sensor and mark to map process. This goes for everything, targets, resources, mission target location etc. Cant find your mission item... do a sensor sweep!


Alternative suggestion:

Make it a skill or tied to your specialization and related to helping with crafting.

Example of Rank Science, Engeering, then Tactical. Science folks can see the farthest and locate the most resources on a map. Throw them a bone for not being able to keep up with the jones on the damage charts :)

Not that it might make much sense but maybe science vessels are able to loot more anomalies or something because of their scientific nature.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:04 PM

I was doing an explore mission (one where you had to scan the plants and those Orion tools jump in) and my scan pointed me towards the plants, and also towards anomalies. I didn't notice any particular reason how it decided to either point me towards an objective or anomaly. Maybe it pointed to whatever was closest?

I'll try and see if I can figure it out next time.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM.