Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Duty Officer negative traits (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1049771)

shireknight 03-12-2014 03:12 PM

Duty Officer negative traits

I've been using the Duty Officer system for a few weeks now and some of my officers are definitely picking up negative traits, is it because they have taken part in failed missions or is the system totally random and officers will just pick up negative traits for no particular reason please?

bendalek 03-12-2014 03:19 PM

AFAIK, the traits are set from the start ... I'm pretty sure they are randomly generated, so you can have several DoFF's with the same name and proffession, but with different traits.

The 'bad' or 'negative' traits are only useful on a very small number of missions though, so I usually dump them into Fleet Projects or "trade them in" for a DoFF of a higher Tier.

shireknight 03-12-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendalek (Post 15646121)
AFAIK, the traits are set from the start ... I'm pretty sure they are randomly generated, so you can have several DoFF's with the same name and proffession, but with different traits.

The 'bad' or 'negative' traits are only useful on a very small number of missions though, so I usually dump them into Fleet Projects or "trade them in" for a DoFF of a higher Tier.

So my Officers are not gaining bad traits over time then? I swear blind half of them have picked up bad traits over the last couple of weeks lol.

I'll have to make a notes of all the ones with no bad traits and watch them carefully.

solemkof 03-12-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shireknight (Post 15646401)
So my Officers are not gaining bad traits over time then? I swear blind half of them have picked up bad traits over the last couple of weeks lol.

I'll have to make a notes of all the ones with no bad traits and watch them carefully.

Take note of the assignments you send them on. Different assignments consider different traits as 'bad'.

organicmanfred 03-12-2014 06:22 PM

This is what I have reported a few month ago to.

I have doffed for like a year with my main character on the same place, the same missions, the same Doffs. Never bought or received additional Doffs. Always having at least green Level Awards.

And then of a sudden, missions started to fail, always about 2-5/6 missions. Doffs suddenly had negative traits too.

crm14916 03-12-2014 06:26 PM

Its the missions you're sending them on that are changing your requirements... the doff traits don't change once generated...

CM

organicmanfred 03-12-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crm14916 (Post 15648881)
Its the missions you're sending them on that are changing your requirements... the doff traits don't change once generated...

CM

But why now suddenly? I did nothing else for a year just standing at ESD, and starting the same Doff missions over and over, with the same Doffs, even putting the same Doffs to the same missions cause I knew they are a higher reward Level.

And after almost a year, I saw red trait Doffs in my List.

ceekayzero 03-12-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shireknight (Post 15646401)

The only traits that are never bad are "efficient", "resolve", and I think "Eidetic Memory". Maaaaybe founders of the federation. Everything else can be a crit success trait to a disaster trait.

Doffs don't grow new traits - I've gone through several thousand Doffs over the past couple of years, and haven't had one spontaneously grow a new trait. But the doff that may be fantastic for "Sieze Alien Artifacts in the Risa Sector" may be absolutely awful for "Infiltrate Orion Syndicate".

organicmanfred 03-12-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceekayzero (Post 15649461)
The only traits that are never bad are "efficient", "resolve", and I think "Eidetic Memory". Maaaaybe founders of the federation. Everything else can be a crit success trait to a disaster trait.

Doffs don't grow new traits - I've gone through several thousand Doffs over the past couple of years, and haven't had one spontaneously grow a new trait. But the doff that may be fantastic for "Sieze Alien Artifacts in the Risa Sector" may be absolutely awful for "Infiltrate Orion Syndicate".

I know Doffs can't create new traits by themselves. So for me, Devs "could" have done balance changes and weren't aware of this problem

It started to happen around end of November I think. I was not able to play because of this 1-month graphic Bug when S8 started.

bendalek 03-13-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organicmanfred (Post 15649831)
I know Doffs can't create new traits by themselves. So for me, Devs "could" have done balance changes and weren't aware of this problem

It started to happen around end of November I think. I was not able to play because of this 1-month graphic Bug when S8 started.

As mentioned DoFF traits DO NOT CHANGE and have not been changed by the Devs AFAIK ...

What MAY have changed is the 'requirements' for success/Critical success on certain missions. So a mission that you've done 200 times with the same DoFF, may now need a different DoFF ...

However seeing as how the OP is a relatively new player, I doubt this is the case.

I'd say ithe most likely reason is mistaken identity, where having multiple copies of the same DoFF, i.e. the same name and profession, has been generated with different traits, hence the confusion.