Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Is there a point to being a science officer for the KDF? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=105218)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 07:42 PM

Is there a point to being a science officer for the KDF?

Or should I just go all out tactical?

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:29 PM

Check out the effects of sensor scan....

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:48 PM

My DPS built sci officer comes top of the damage charts 9 out of 10 times totally slapping most tac officers. Not to mention the awesome career kills. -80% damage res for 30 seconds or add 15 seconds onto all cooldowns of a target anyone?

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:51 PM

Sci Officers are pimp, sort of makes me sad at times I rolled an Engineer, lol.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:55 PM

I went sci KDF; am loving it. You lack a dedicated ship until T5, which means you don't get all the target subs, or the console slots, or the bonus to detecting cloak or the boost to your aux and shield power levels. Still, that sensor scan and SNB are sexy, plus you can even fit cannons if you don't plan on going Vo'Quv. There isn't a real abundance of Sci Klinks, so you fill a much needed niche and make friends fast.

On an overall note, you have the largest ship in the game waiting for you at the end of the road.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:58 PM

Some of the best most important players are Sci . A truely good team cna't win without them.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiggum11 (Post 1949123)
Is there a point to being a science officer for the KDF?

Of course. Science has some extremely awesome and fun abilitys.

Just imagine:
Tier5: Sitting in your Carrier, spawning Attack Fighters and Bird of Paper's and using Photonic Fleet - basically being a one man ship squadron of huge awesome.

Also, Bird of Paper's themselves make for some decent Science Ships if used right, they can last you until you reach t5, or you could even stay with them.

And lastly:
At least 75% of the STO playerbase are tactical guys, which is disturbing. I'd prefer to guide as many people into the two other directions so that it won't get worse.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:18 PM

I will echo all the other posters. I am a Klingon Science Officer, currently Cmdr3, and I'm enjoying it. Subnucleonic Beam is just so great, many people still have no clue what it is. Sensor scan rules, and if you go ground, there's some great things you can do with the right kits.

I fly in a BoP, and I do just fine damage-wise, and I heal too.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:24 PM

Hello,

I play a Science lvl 29 in a cruiser with tetryon beams (2x250 arch and 2 torps front , and 1x250 and 1 torp aft)

and i do alot of damage , have lots of heals and buffs, pretty much always come in first place in damage as far as cruisers go , only BopS out dps me..

i have a blast as science.. and the sensor scan debuff is really nice!!

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vuk (Post 1950230)
Some of the best most important players are Sci . A truely good team cna't win without them.

Yar had some realy good sci dude yesterday with me was awesome we owned people:)