Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Blue screen? O.o? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=105311)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 07:52 PM

Blue screen? O.o?

Was wondering if someone could help me on this...after just getting past the white "loading please wait" box on the desktop I got to the login screen and eventualy got to click the engage button, though not 5 seconds passed when I recieved a swift kick to you know where with a blue screen "physical memory dump" thing

Code: 0x00000050 (0xE4673000, 0x00000000, 0x8653B902, 0x00000001)
Least thats what I could make out

Can someone help me fix this problem please? As I too would like to enjoy the game I've paid for.

My system is new and was just delivered yesterday..though I have been updated the drivers with the newest ones I could find.

System specs:
OP: Ms XP Home Edition 32bit (5.1 Build 2600) Service pack 3
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM (though doesn't show as that on dxdiag...I'm told because I only have windows 32bit)
Direct X: 9.0c
Audio: Realtec HD Audio Output
Graphics: 2x NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB

DxDiag is available.

Cheers!

Archived Post 02-05-2010 07:55 PM

Probably an overheating issue. Do you know what temp your GPUs are running at while in game? Mine was hitting temps of 80c plus... which is really terrible. Kicked up the fan speed to keep her in the 50c range.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 12:02 AM

Why did you get XP when windows 7 is out? (Yes, I still run XP too)
I don't think XP would even recognize 8GBs of RAM.
You could try taking all the RAM out except for 1 stick, and see if you still have an issue.
Does it only happen with this game?
I don't think this is Cryptic's problem.
Sounds like a problems with the computer.
For example if I pay for cable, and my TV breaks.
Is the cable company suppose to help me fix my TV?
I could be wrong.
I guess what I said is of no help.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 04:01 AM

My GPU's run at around 40-45oC, my main CPU runs around the same and the motherboard runs around 32-36. These temps are what it sits at on the log in screen from the launcher....i've never got past the stage when you click the engage button =(

I didn't get XP instead of 7...the computer never came with an operating system in it so I installed my XP disc I had from my last system...going to upgrade it to 7pro when I get the disc from college on Monday though.
To be honest I don't feel very comfortable going inside a pc and fiddling with things as it's only this game that I have the problem with...I mean I run eve-online on high end graphics without any trouble.
I'm not saying "Hey Cryptic you broke my computer help me fix it" I'm asking for advice on what to do so I can try fix it =)

Archived Post 02-06-2010 04:33 AM

grab a windows 7 disc or whatever OS you use, wipe that computer and reinstall.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 04:40 AM

I would highly reccomend you updating you operating system for two reasons:

1. A 32bit system won't recognize or use more than roughly 3.4 mb's or ram or so.
2. XP can't run DirectX 10 or highers. That is a huge deal right now. Not so much when Vista first came out with now with more games using it its for sure worth it.

I'd start there and see. I know it seems like an expense for just one game and it the comp runs fine for other games then finding a different solution is the answer.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 04:53 AM

Will try a fresh install just now and will upgrade to win7 pro on Monday :)

Archived Post 02-06-2010 04:59 AM

if your running XP then stop code 0x00000050 should mean PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA the text bellow will say. it may also name a device or file name thats also causing the problem.

if it names a device or file name chances are the device drivers are causing problems installing the latest driver or in some cases with ATI\nVidia graphics card older drivers may solve the issue. let us know more details from the BSOD will help us help you identify what is causing the problem

being as youve got more than 4gb in your PC im going to take a huge shot in the dark here and say your problem is most likely caused by the the extra 4gb of ram you have in your PC, winXP 32bit will only use arround 3.5-4gb and the rest will not be fully accessable to windows.

first you should install XP SP3 if its not already installed
next theres a few tweaks to windows which may improve the issue these could cause problems if not carried out correctly but from the sounds of it you know how to reinstall windows, hopefuly your familiar with runnig a repair if it goes pear shaped

open your c: drive and makesure you can see all files and hidden system files and extensions- tools menu - folder options - view

find the boot.ini - back it up
remove the read only from the orriginal file
open in note pad and edit so it looks like
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S [do not touch this line its where your install of windows lives if its wrong windows wont load]
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional"=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /usepmtimer [you should see a line like this copy it, do not change anything. paste it to create a new line and edit the text between the quotes it can say what ever you like, next add /USERVA=2048 next add /MAXMEM=4096to the end of the line, save and close]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Limited Memory" /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /USERVA=2048 /MAXMEM=4096 /usepmtimer /NoExecute=OptIn

dont forget to change the boot.ini back to read only

reboot your machine and select the new line you just created

basicly you have now limited windows to use only 4gb of your system ram the rest should just sit doing noting. with 2gb being used by windows itself this can be lowered to 1024 if you prefer but amy space not used by windows will be free to other appliactions

ooooook if that dosent work take a look here for more help
http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html#0x00000050
and here for how to read BSOD :p
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1647&page=2

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maduri (Post 1959497)
Will try a fresh install just now and will upgrade to win7 pro on Monday :)

to access more than 4gb you will need to use the 64bit version of win7 (or XP) ;)

Archived Post 02-06-2010 05:54 AM

Got Windows 7 64bit atm it's awesome, make sure you get it!

Archived Post 02-06-2010 09:04 AM

Oddly enough my system doesn't have a boot.ini file, serached the folders plus typed it into a search...still nothing. Prob my fault for using home edition xp *shudders*

Anyways bought a copy of windows 7 pro 64bit online no more than 5 minutes ago so hopefully it'll arrive early next week and I can get into some STO :D

Anyways, think I'll call it a day with this enquiry until I get Win 7 through th door then I'll try it again.

Thank you to everyone who responded to the thread your comments were most appreciated :)