Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Contact Info - noc@crypticstudios.com (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=105312)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:52 PM

Contact Info - noc@crypticstudios.com

This is the address that cryptic publishes on certain pages on their web server. I'm wondering if it would be helpful to email them and ask them to either a) hire some halfway competent professionals, b) become aware of the fact that their product just wigged the hell out again, or c), ask them if they can forward our requests for an active reliable product on to management.

Again, the email address cryptic publishes for server difficulties is noc@crypticstudios.com. - I'm sure you'll see it when the forums web server starts crapping all over itself in about five minutes.

Do post here if you contact them, especially if you get a response!

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:58 PM

You know what... I work in a noc.

It stands for Network Operations Center. And let me tell you... they f'ing KNOW the server is down. I guarantee that there's alarms going off all over the place.

Don't bombard them with a bunch of stupid e-mails. That is NOT what they need right now.

Jeeez...some people are just idiots.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:59 PM

Id bet the response you get is a thread deletion if not a ban for trolling
but thats me

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khabok

It stands for Network Operations Center. And let me tell you... they f'ing KNOW the server is down. I guarantee that there's alarms going off all over the place.

Don't bombard them with a bunch of stupid e-mails. That is NOT what they need right now.

^ I wonder if the local state attorney general or something might be better...wondering if Cryptic sold something they knew was bunk and didn't live up to what they promised or what...

I honestly don't know, and with EULAs and such, it's pretty much caveat emptor no matter what.

Never mind me, just ranting.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:05 PM

Hey, I totally agree. I think it's utter BS that the game was released in the state that it's currently in.

Blame Atari for pushing the release, regardless of application readiness. They're the publishers, they're the ones that say "this is when it ships".

But sending a bunch of crappy emails to the network guys who are poor schmoes that are doing the best they can with the crap-tastic code and release date that they've been given isn't going to do anything but make them NOT want to do their jobs.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:06 PM

^ I'll play a violin for them. And their managers. And the engineers and whatnot.

Wish Cryptic would hire some outsource guys or some of those laid off folks on unemployment who know what the hell they're doing with the pile of cash they've made in the last few days, though.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khabok

No kidding.

I'm a NOC guy as well. I do edge security and forensics. If one of my servers goes down at least two of my people are awakened from sleep and the on duty staff goes nuts.

For gods sake- there's actually a klaxon on site which goes off. Sounds like a air raid.

But the real fun starts during RCA meeting (That's "Root Cause Analysis"). That's when heads roll. That's when the guy who decided to bounce the mail server gets fired.

Oh... they know. At least 30 of them. and prolly 7 of them are running for their vehicles with sleep in their eyes and no coffee.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Caligula
No kidding.

I'm a NOC guy as well. I do edge security and forensics. If one of my servers goes down at least two of my people are awakened from sleep and the on duty staff goes nuts.

For gods sake- there's actually a klaxon on site which goes off. Sounds like a air raid.

But the real fun starts during RCA meeting (That's "Root Cause Analysis"). That's when heads roll. That's when the guy who decided to bounce the mail server gets fired.

Oh... they know. At least 30 of them. and prolly 7 of them are running for their vehicles with sleep in their eyes and no coffee.

God, the 4am calls because nobody knows how to disable a certain system without causing a cascade of outages all because a cooling fan vibrated a cable loose and started intermittent power loss to a rack and the monitoring system is telling you it's failing when it's not so the on-duty is desperately trying to route around it when all it needs is a zip-tie and a new fan, but you don't know that for three days because it's not reproducible even though it keeps happening occasionally and nobody noticed the loose cable until AFTER you ordered a $20,000 new rack.

And that's a hardware problem....those are the EASY ones to fix.

NOC guys at Cryptic? Good luck to you guys, and ignore the idiots that have no idea what you're going through right now.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:20 PM

But networking is powered by magic black boxes that never malfunction and the information is transmitted by pixie dust. Any outtage is the fault of the unqualified idiots running the system who certainly don't have more qualifications and experience than forum whiners.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:20 PM

Yes, spamming the bug reports and forums weren't enough -- let's start flooding their emails. That'll surely get things remedied quicker.

Bloody 'ell...