Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Aspergers Appreciation Station (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=105487)

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:40 PM

Aspergers Appreciation Station

Greetings fellow Star Trek Fans!

Since people will generally put down or mock that which they do not understand, persons with Aspergers are often ridiculed in the online community. Star Trek fans have, IMO, always been a cut above the rest of humanity and I feel an accepting place for persons such as myself to integrate and co-mingle.

That said, I urge other "aspies" to show their pride, as well as their enjoyment of this fine game and Star Trek in general.

Any norms are free to post as well, as this thread seeks to be inclusive!

Ad Infinitum,

-RikersMailbox

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:45 PM

What are you going to do when the DSM V comes out and Asperger's isn't a special and unique disorder?

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:47 PM

Aspies. That's a clever name for it. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedonbaker (Post 1952928)
What are you going to do when the DSM V comes out and Asperger's isn't a special and unique disorder?

Well it's not... Very many have but very few actually get the diagnose.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedonbaker (Post 1952928)

Regardless of the classification, I will remain the same. However you are most probably referring to the reclassification of Apsergers under Functional Autism. While there are similarities, they are not the same condition.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RikersMailbox
Regardless of the classification, I will remain the same. However you are most probably referring to the reclassification of Apsergers under Functional Autism. While there are similarities, they are not the same condition.

No matter where you fall under the DSM, you're still a loser in the genetic lottery.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:11 PM

It's ironic. A post about people who struggle with the nuances of social interaction being insulted by someone whose only social ability is to insult other people on the internet.

Another aspie here.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedonbaker (Post 1953381)
No matter where you fall under the DSM, you're still a loser in the genetic lottery.

This is an interesting statement. You are attacking someone who you know absolutely nothing about. Regardless of Asperger's, the original poster may live an incredibly fulfilling life. Now, I assume you do not have Asperger's, but yet you and the OP share a common interest. For all we know you're a short, weak man with a small ****.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echko
This is an interesting statement. You are attacking someone who you know absolutely nothing about. Regardless of Asperger's, the original poster may live an incredibly fulfilling life. Now, I assume you do not have Asperger's, but yet you and the OP share a common interest. For all we know you're a short, weak man with a small ****.

And you are sooooooooo not helping the ones with Asperger's.

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:24 PM

Who even came up with the name Aspergers? Are they going to name a disease Butaeco or Bogermaet?

Archived Post 02-05-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olathe
Who even came up with the name Aspergers? Are they going to name a disease Butaeco or Bogermaet?

Since you are apparently unable to do it yourself.