Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Ground combat - More of a chore than any fun (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=106368)

Archived Post 02-06-2010 09:45 AM

Ground combat - More of a chore than any fun
 
At the moment I dread ground missions, they drag on and on for ages and now I am fighting Romulans they take even longer than before. THe Romulan Commanders are the msot annoying, taking around 5 minutes to kill just one of them since they keep recharging their shields every 8 seconds or so which is barely enough time to get any hits on them.

I also find that msot of them just involve killing legions of enemies to get to an objective, I find this very boring and just stray off the road and find my own way to the objectives, even with this work around I still spend just as long trying to get all my BOs successfully through all the plants and rocks without getting stuck.

Some of the non-combat ground missions can be quite interesting but they are very rare and instead I always end up with these missions where I have to go through so many groups of enemies that it just gets extremely boring and repetitive, espeically with these Romulan Commanders and such that appear and take forever to take down.

Sure you can say that some of these things are meant to add a challenge, but to be honest it's just the same challenge over and over again but with a few tiny differences.

This is just my personal view on Ground Combat at the moment. Improvements I, personally, would like to see is more non-combat missions that arn't just 5 minutes long and more ground combat missions that don't take me up to half an hour and beyond to complete.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 09:47 AM

Completely agree. I try to avoid ground combat as much as possible...which is difficult to say the least.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 09:51 AM

My opinion is that this game has always had too many enemies. I would much prefer to be fighting harder and fewer enemies. Away missions feel like rambo because I have to slay dozens upon dozens to achieve my missions, and half the time the missions are non-sensical ("so the Klingons are making weapons? And you want me to beam down kill a company of Klingon warriors and plant charges to destroy the weapons? How about we just glass the site from orbit with our STARSHIP DEATH RAYS!")

Archived Post 02-06-2010 09:53 AM

Ground combat got a lot more interesting to me the moment I got Dual Pistols and started actually trying to go for flank damage.

That is not to say that I particularly like ground combat (50% more of 4 is just 6)....

Archived Post 02-06-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlieyto
At the moment I dread ground missions, they drag on and on for ages and now I am fighting Romulans they take even longer than before. THe Romulan Commanders are the msot annoying, taking around 5 minutes to kill just one of them since they keep recharging their shields every 8 seconds or so which is barely enough time to get any hits on them.

I also find that msot of them just involve killing legions of enemies to get to an objective, I find this very boring and just stray off the road and find my own way to the objectives, even with this work around I still spend just as long trying to get all my BOs successfully through all the plants and rocks without getting stuck.

Some of the non-combat ground missions can be quite interesting but they are very rare and instead I always end up with these missions where I have to go through so many groups of enemies that it just gets extremely boring and repetitive, espeically with these Romulan Commanders and such that appear and take forever to take down.

Sure you can say that some of these things are meant to add a challenge, but to be honest it's just the same challenge over and over again but with a few tiny differences.

This is just my personal view on Ground Combat at the moment. Improvements I, personally, would like to see is more non-combat missions that arn't just 5 minutes long and more ground combat missions that don't take me up to half an hour and beyond to complete.

I could not agree more.

When i do exploration missions, i leave unexplored systems if i even see a planet or a faraway base. I will not enter into ground combat voluntarily. It's boring. It's tedious. It doesn't require skill, it requires time.

i know it's impossible to change now, but i'd love to see a more FPS style ground combat system. have to use cover, everyone has very little health.

But this doesn't work when every attack hits. Feh! i hate ground combat. Worst part of the game by far, for me.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 10:00 AM

I think it could be more of quality then quantity.

More area to explore, not necessarily being able to always pick up contacts on the map. Surprise is a good thing sometimes.

Basically I just dance around in circles while my away team does most of the work with "Focus Fire" command.

Though since I got to commander and I can us more abilities with my BOs, they seem a little more interactive though still seem slow to react. Yes I know they are not human (well living players) so it is to be expected.

I have come across a couple of planets recently with really decent or eye catching terrain. It doesn't seem as cartoonish as some of the earlier planets and they often remind me of TOS away team encounters.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCorvus
My opinion is that this game has always had too many enemies. I would much prefer to be fighting harder and fewer enemies. Away missions feel like rambo because I have to slay dozens upon dozens to achieve my missions, and half the time the missions are non-sensical ("so the Klingons are making weapons? And you want me to beam down kill a company of Klingon warriors and plant charges to destroy the weapons? How about we just glass the site from orbit with our STARSHIP DEATH RAYS!")

Dude for serious we may as well as just do an orbital bombardment most times, we ****ing kill a 1000 guys per mission anyway, klingons called kirk a great warrior but he got's **** all on us, we're death incarnate, I've probably killed more people than have been killed in all the series put together.

I completely agree OP, I too dread ground it's out and out the worst part of the game, and then just to spite us, cryptic makes it take forever to get through those missions.

Please if we must kill so many cut their hp in half and double basic attack damage(don't bother saying that'd be too easy, I've died bloody twice to remans+server lag, and a perma hold in a group mission, I take on entire rooms at once sometimes), it's just so lame I've got phasers and disruptors yet it takes 198352 shots to kill someone without an expose.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mockeryangel
it's just so lame I've got phasers and disruptors yet it takes 198352 shots to kill someone without an expose.

Aye, as an Engineer it takes me ages to kill certain mobs, such as the Romulan Commander I mentioned above. Turrets I've given up on since they're pretty useless in PvP and PvE. PvE they become public enemy no. 1 to any bad guys around and in PvP they do too little damage to be of any use anyway.

I just hope we get a lot more variety in these content patches we'll get in the future and not end up with more extremely long ground missions.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlieyto
Aye, as an Engineer it takes me ages to kill certain mobs, such as the Romulan Commander I mentioned above. Turrets I've given up on since they're pretty useless in PvP and PvE. PvE they become public enemy no. 1 to any bad guys around and in PvP they do too little damage to be of any use anyway.

I just hope we get a lot more variety in these content patches we'll get in the future and not end up with more extremely long ground missions.

Yeah it's a little better with science tricorder scan but I don't put points into ground, not like I'd do a ton more damage anyway and I hate ground, going with engi and sci boffs seems to allow me to just let them do everything though and alt tab out, but playing thru is sooo boring and frustrating(from length and seeing an objective to kill even more enemies).

What I really hate is when you get a scan mission and then have to kill all the enemies too, just why? Is this the mirror universe starfleet? The only time ground is fun is when I can sneak around to activate objectives without fighting, as a sci officer it's not so easy as for tacs with stealth.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 11:51 AM

something that i would like to see changed is the range of attacks, you have your close range melee stuff, then you have long ranged attacks and grenades.

something that has irked me is the sniper shot on some weapons, why is that limited to the same range as the regular range shots. its a SNIPER shot, not a regular shot. and why is it that u can hurl a grenade 30 meters just as accuratly as 10 feet?

just somethings ive seen.

RedShirt.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 PM.