Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Romulan Flotilla (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=381)
-   -   Scimitar too brittle!! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1072391)

adorenko 04-03-2014 07:33 AM

Scimitar too brittle!!
 
I've been flying a Scimitar now for a little over a month and can't help but come to conclusion of three possible things. This ship is awful as Tactical, I have a bad build or I suck at Tactical or maybe just maybe there is something else someone could shine some light on.

To start I have a MK XI Jem'Hadar build, all polaron weapons in keeping with the Jem'Hadar, I ditched the 3 piece consoles that came with the bundle pack for more tac console space. My tac consoles are basic MK XI polaron buffed and couple cannon buffed, wasn't sure how bad 5 polaron consoles would be with diminishing returns. The other consoles are just filled in by what I found that would either buff shields a add defense or resist. What other viable space sets are out there? All the builds I came across seemed to point to the Jem'Hadar and to me it seemed to be the best for tactical, maybe it isn't the best for such a barge of a tactical ship?

One mistake I may be making is that this is my first ship at tier 5 in Tactical so I don't have a good frame of reference for other tactical ships. I know that this ship is not the norm when it comes to tactical ships either, one thing that kills me is that the inertia is the same here as it is on my Obelisk, that's messed up. The turn rate for Scimitar is pretty good for its size though but I'm constantly sliding all over the place with such a high inertia(which is weird on the stats it shows a lower number than ships with low inertia). I have to figure with a smaller ship my defense bonus(This is like avoidance correct?) would be higher, is it the goal of most Tac ships to avoid damage rather than resist it? Because I gotta tell you it seems like the attacks against me are like they're throwing beach balls against the side of a Barn. I'm driving a Barn, Great!!

Perhaps I have something wrong in my Boff abilities, I can't think of them all off the top of my head but I'll try and list them out: cannon rapid fire, cannon scatter fire, alpha pattern, beta pattern, omega pattern, hazard emitters, engineering team, tac team, torp spread, torp high yield, emg power to shields and feedback pulse. I think that's all of them, I am not overly attached to any one of these skills. I feel like I need more to repairs with the damage I'm taking all the time but I know this is wrong because I shouldn't be hanging out in fire fights long enough to take this much damage.

This leads into the part about me sucking at Tactical. Should my strategy be to perform hit and run attacks. If so that poses some problems for me as this ship doesn't seem to want to cooperate with me, as it is not as agile as most tac ships. What is the best tactics to run on this type of ship or does this ship just go against everything that a tactical ship is supposed to be?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

dragonsbite 04-03-2014 08:03 AM

I had the same problem with my 1st tac toon. You're using cannons and torps as I was and this requires stopping. And because you're stopped you're a sitting duck with low defense. It's very frustrating trying to survive. I went aux2bat beam boat well over a year ago and survival quadrupled. Not that you can't do cannons/torps but it takes more skill then I have it seems. So either learn to fly better or go the beam boat route so defense is always at max.

fyi there is no diminishing returns to tac consoles. Get the Valdore console. I get 2,400 heals per second using it. Use redistribute power to shields. I have this mapped to my Q key. This is the most important factor when it comes to survivability imo. Do all this right and you should not need any resist consoles now shield regen or shield increase consoles. And you shouldn't need any hull resist passives as well. It become more skill and how quickly you can hit that Q key or TT and other bof abilities and your flying ability. Oh and use the Dill Mine elite singularity core.

I've no idea what Boff abilities you use and how your skill points are spent. But there are plenty of posts on layouts just for the scimitars. Check them out as needed.

revandarklighter 04-03-2014 08:10 AM

Well the Scimitar is an entire world of its own.
Its widely considered the strongest ship in the game... can't judge that since i don't own all ships in the game... but most of my other ships feel like a bad joke in comparison (especially by beloved Hegh'ta^^).
So it certainly doesnt need any buffs.

My problem with it is still is blowing up too often. But the strange thing is its not "taking damage" its the "Blowing up part".
Even the glass canon Hegh'ta mentioned above takes damage before exploding, means I get hit to 70%, 40%, 10 % .. boom.
My Scimitar seems to be perfectly fine... until it suddenly explodes. Which is why (outside of the healing powers I constantly circle) I have all healing left... can't react quick enough.. Most times I don't know what hit me.

Also it pilots very odd. For someone being used to fast turning escorts... the turn rate is still ok... but I underestimate how far it slides every time... thats something to get used to.
Still I think they should have made a "reman warbird" with the same stats (even sliding that far) but much smaller, that size simply doesnt fit its survivability.. Also the tone of em around are kind of annoying. Cant complain while flying one myself.... but thats simply.. off.

But to the OP... seeing the number of tac skills you use I have to conclude you are using the universal slot as tac slot. Thats obviously practical for more damage, but it hurts the survivability a lot.
I use it as a sci slot, with an additional Hazard emitter and TSS. Both constantly spawning. Helps a lot. Probably an eng can be used to similar effect. That monstrosity has enough damage with the commander slot.

Also: You have the best battle cloak, use it.
If you use a cannon setup only be decloaked while firing, start considering "being cloaked" your standard. (and no, you do not have to "Stop and sit ducks" to use cannons and torps if you are doing it right.

spacebaronline 04-03-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revandarklighter (Post 16124031)
Well the Scimitar is an entire world of its own.
Its widely considered the strongest ship in the game... can't judge that since i don't own all ships in the game... but most of my other ships feel like a bad joke in comparison (especially by beloved Hegh'ta^^).
So it certainly doesnt need any buffs.

My problem with it is still is blowing up too often. But the strange thing is its not "taking damage" its the "Blowing up part".
Even the glass canon Hegh'ta mentioned above takes damage before exploding, means I get hit to 70%, 40%, 10 % .. boom.
My Scimitar seems to be perfectly fine... until it suddenly explodes. Which is why (outside of the healing powers I constantly circle) I have all healing left... can't react quick enough.. Most times I don't know what hit me.

Also it pilots very odd. For someone being used to fast turning escorts... the turn rate is still ok... but I underestimate how far it slides every time... thats something to get used to.
Still I think they should have made a "reman warbird" with the same stats (even sliding that far) but much smaller, that size simply doesnt fit its survivability.. Also the tone of em around are kind of annoying. Cant complain while flying one myself.... but thats simply.. off.

But to the OP... seeing the number of tac skills you use I have to conclude you are using the universal slot as tac slot. Thats obviously practical for more damage, but it hurts the survivability a lot.
I use it as a sci slot, with an additional Hazard emitter and TSS. Both constantly spawning. Helps a lot. Probably an eng can be used to similar effect. That monstrosity has enough damage with the commander slot.

You guys know that due to the Scimitars size that you think you could be clear of a Cube or Gate or NPC`s warp core explosion - BUT - in fact just a wing tip could be inside the danger zone even though the bulk of the ship shows as outside the blast radius. Just because the center of your ship is showing 2km away from the target - don`t assume the computer is counting that as clear - you could take a lot of hull damage and go BOOM!

adorenko 04-03-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revandarklighter (Post 16124031)
Also: You have the best battle cloak, use it.
If you use a cannon setup only be decloaked while firing, start considering "being cloaked" your standard. (and no, you do not have to "Stop and sit ducks" to use cannons and torps if you are doing it right.

I try to use the cloak when appropriate, I've probably been using it less since I removed the shields up while cloaked console though. I try to keep moving too, usually at quarter or half impulse toward my target, what I try to do is once I am at the point I need to break off my current attack I will switch to another target further away and begin an assault on that one. The problem of just going boom still persist though. Even with full shields if a high yield Plasma Torpedo hits me I'm dead(obliviously kill these but sometimes BOOM).

What of the Jem'Hadar set though, any ideas out there about this set or a better one that exists?

fakefive 04-03-2014 08:32 AM

You realize that the Scimitar is hands down the single highest dps potential ship in the game right? It sacrifices defence for offence. 'n not as much as you think.

Scimitar blow up alot because they're targeted alot. Because they draw aggro, pve and pvp agro. lol. because they hit too damn hard not to kill or chase off.

moosooman 04-03-2014 08:38 AM

I agree Just have to change your tactics to suit the battle cloak is great for getting you into position before pvp and BANG trac beem and go... only problem is youre vulnerable till you cloak again if you can lol tbh the other comments are bang on it does tend to blow up like wot :S

decronia 04-03-2014 08:43 AM

The thing is with any new ship you have to get used to it and play around to find what fits for you. You have to do this while working with the ship not against it. It was the same for me when I moved from beam boat cruisers to the Vesta. While I got used to it my ship would go bang a lot. As I got used to it and changed things about my survival rate shot up.

fakefive 04-03-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adorenko (Post 16124631)
I try to use the cloak when appropriate, I've probably been using it less since I removed the shields up while cloaked console though. I try to keep moving too, usually at quarter or half impulse toward my target, what I try to do is once I am at the point I need to break off my current attack I will switch to another target further away and begin an assault on that one. The problem of just going boom still persist though. Even with full shields if a high yield Plasma Torpedo hits me I'm dead(obliviously kill these but sometimes BOOM).

What of the Jem'Hadar set though, any ideas out there about this set or a better one that exists?


There are alot of things you can do too boost your survivability aside from just the engine/shield/etc set you use. In your skill tree maybe yyou can fit some more hull or shield resistance, in a scim i would assume hull. but of course thats dependantt on everything else as well. Maybe you need to try more 'n better resistance consoles in your engineering slots. Fleet mk xii neutroniums plus hull maybe, Its nice to have multiple options for those slots you can interchange depending on whatever situation you're in also.

For instance if you're going stfing vs borg, use electro ceramic instead of neutronium, maybe a monotanium for more specialized kinetic res.

People always advocate neutroniums but imho, thats just lazy. yes there are situations where you're facing many differant damage types, but there will also be instances in an arena where you notice that three of your five attackers are using polaron, so you slot the ,, i forget which one, but the console that specializes in polaron res.

Or you can try to just go with major bonus defence using engineering spire consoles. Being romulan, using the correct boffs you'll already have an elevated % of bonus defence 'n each of those spire consoles add another 2.5% bonus def. throw on two piece aegis for 10% more bonus def, although i dont think thats the best for a scim, works on some other ships pretty well. Sit still 'n stuff still misses you.

What i'm saying though is that you've got options.
Try joining the chat channels OrganizedPVP or TheTradingChannel 'n make some friends. I'm sure you'll find someone who'd be willing to talk you through a new build.

dunmovyn 04-03-2014 08:48 AM

Pew _ Boom
 
Most people seem to overlook one item on the scmi, that is unimportant on other ships - crews.

The scmi does not take kinetic damage well. You lose crew real quick in this boat, and that is what is causing you to pop so easily. Crew is critical to surviving in this boat. Not to ignore shields, but the bleed thrus, and kinetics really deplete your crew. Your crew is the number one resource in this boat to keeping hull up. So, you rock along a bit, til your crew dies, then you have to rely on only sci skills, etc., to keep up your hull, and you go PEW - BOOM.

There are ways to fix this, and not give up your punch.

But that's another story.

Oh, and I rarely cloak. I have found there are some players out there I have to work hard to defeat, but most just stay out of my way.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.