Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Romulan Flotilla (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=381)
-   -   Protonic Arsenal: Fire at Will III or Torp Spread III? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1077891)

stongbads 04-09-2014 05:56 AM

Protonic Arsenal: Fire at Will III or Torp Spread III?
 
I'm looking for some advice if I should upgrade my Torp Spread from II to III while downgrading my FAW to II. I'm currently using Protonic Polaron beam arrays and a full Protonic Arsenal. Calculating my crits, my Gravimetric Photon Torpedo has a 41% crit while the rest of my beams arrays has a 22% and my experimental weapon has a 28% crit. Do you think it's worth upgrading my Torp Spread to III?

ryakidrys 04-09-2014 07:04 AM

Depending on the ship you are using, and what you are trying to do with it, one might be more beneficial or it could be something else entirely. With beam arrays, I expect you are looking for PvE advice? What ship are you using, what is the current equipment loadout and BOFF setup?

warmaker001b 04-09-2014 04:22 PM

FAW3 or TS3 with the Grav Torpedo?

One would think FAW3 would win out anytime, esp. if trying to fit a torpedo into the build.

However, you're talking about the Grav Torp, which changes the game quite a bit in PVE.

For general purposes, esp. with your beam + grav torp build, I would go with FAW3.

But... if you have Grav Well and you have the Dyson Grav Torp, you need to have Torp Spread 3. Most esp. so if you have good Particle Generators Skill (determines the "rift" damage). With Grav Well to bunch up your targets, firing Dyson Grav Torp with Torp Sprd 3 into that blob is devastating. If the rifts occur, you don't even need Energy Weapons. For PVE, a Torp Boat with Grav Well can literally wipe out waves of NPCs by itself in a few seconds and not require Energy Weapons fire.

ursusmorologus 04-09-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stongbads (Post 16244111)
I'm looking for some advice if I should upgrade my Torp Spread from II to III while downgrading my FAW to II. I'm currently using Protonic Polaron beam arrays and a full Protonic Arsenal. Calculating my crits, my Gravimetric Photon Torpedo has a 41% crit while the rest of my beams arrays has a 22% and my experimental weapon has a 28% crit. Do you think it's worth upgrading my Torp Spread to III?

TS only fires one time, FAW fires all the time (for the duration)

noblet 04-09-2014 05:40 PM

faw will outdps ts by far. Exception being Romulan plasma torp firing ts3 into grav well. Grav photon torp with ts3 firing into grav well, even assuming 100% chance of rift, will not produce anywhere close to the dps of either romulan torp or faw from 6 beams arrays.

overlapo 04-09-2014 07:35 PM

I would suggest getting THY3 with the Gravimetric Torp. It does a massive amount of area damage and mixes quite well with GW3.

noblet 04-09-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlapo (Post 16259351)
I would suggest getting THY3 with the Gravimetric Torp. It does a massive amount of area damage and mixes quite well with GW3.

That's wrong, the single large rift's dmg is far lower compared to potentially many rift stacked on top of each other, which is in turn far lower compared to romulan torp spread splash.

overlapo 04-09-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noblet (Post 16260551)
That's wrong, the single large rift's dmg is far lower compared to potentially many rift stacked on top of each other, which is in turn far lower compared to romulan torp spread splash.

I am not talking about the gravimetric rift, I am talking about the massive damage variance the HY version has. In my case non-critical damage goes from 25k to 100k, and the explosion covers the GW3 area of effect quite nicely.

silverwidow2 04-10-2014 12:19 AM

I would go with FAW 3 but the grav torps with at TS2 id devastating to see and more so if you have a high crit rate the 2 combined can desamate the area in one use.

reginamala78 04-10-2014 12:24 AM

Depends on what ship you're using and the rest of your setup. D'deridex with grav well and grav torps can make a big shield-bypassing mess. Scimitar full of DBBs and Beta3 is probably more for sticking with FAW or possibly Rom torps (assuming they get to the target in time and don't get shot down along the way). More info is needed.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 PM.