Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   question (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=109592)

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:22 AM

question
 
If I spam back a gold seller on STO and cuss'm out for spamming me I bet I can get reported and banned right? Just wondering :innocent grin:

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seawulf (Post 1994524)
If I spam back a gold seller on STO and cuss'm out for spamming me I bet I can get reported and banned right? Just wondering :innocent grin:

That same assumption is the only reason I haven't done it yet :D

Although, thinking about it, it'll probably only earn a couple of infraction points, depending upon the level of profanity in the message. You have to earn about 20 or so to get banned, iirc... ;)

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:28 AM

The chances that anyone is actually reading anything you post back to a gold spammer is incredibly remote. And while theroetically you could get reported they aren't likely to be bringing their account to the attention of the GMs I would say your overall chances of having action taken against you is low, however I have to say that it seems entirely counterproductive to return spam mails and tells with anything other than the report button. Why talk to them at all? There is no upside to it.

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocSavag (Post 1994588)
Why talk to them at all? There is no upside to it.

For the same reason that some people, in a crisis, cuss out god; noone's listening, the chance of a response is nonexistent, but it makes you feel better ;)

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:42 AM

Just sending a blank one back. If we all did that and filled there mailboxs they might just get the message or at least cross us off their lists.

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:45 AM

They are bots dont matter what you do they will keep spamming till blocked. And Yes you could get banned part of the report system is auto after so many reports And I have seen some bot programs with a report line in the code if they get sopammed back they report.... :::looks around all innocent like cause he had a bot program in another game that did:: Not for spamming mind you just farming else where ..

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karv
For the same reason that some people, in a crisis, cuss out god; noone's listening, the chance of a response is nonexistent, but it makes you feel better ;)

I never reply to a spammer (chat or mail) as I think it a possibility that it will get you on their list as an affirmed player (or worse, someone interested in their spam), and thus a target for even more spam. Currently I get maybe 1 or 2 tells and mails per day, which I find quite manageable.

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevscar (Post 1994735)
Just sending a blank one back. If we all did that and filled there mailboxs they might just get the message or at least cross us off their lists.

Spam the spammers? Interesting thought! Darling, take a note: heavy machine guns for full-backs... erm, sorry.

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:48 AM

good advice here thanks

Archived Post 02-08-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghundi
I never reply to a spammer (chat or mail) as I think it a possibility that it will get you on their list as an affirmed player (or worse, someone interested in their spam), and thus a target for even more spam. Currently I get maybe 1 or 2 tells and mails per day, which I find quite manageable.

Same here. Every time I get one, though, I'm tempted to reply with a flame, but the point you mention above, and the concern that seawulf mentioned, always stay my hand. I guess it's just a desire to pass on, in some small way, the annoyance they cause me every time I have to "Report Spam"... :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 AM.