Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   A Suggestion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=111073)

Archived Post 02-09-2010 09:19 AM

A Suggestion

I don't know if this was suggested or not, but its an idea and I hope that some day it'll be in the game.

Now the suggestion is that, Why not let the Fleets have their own personal Starbase?

It would be like obtaining a ship, except Starbases can only be obtained by Admirals and if those Admirals are in a Fleet and purchase only One starbase per fleet so it doesn't get overloaded, and they can be placed almost in any system. (Or unless Cryptic makes another sector block specifically for Starbases)

And the Fleet would have to save up on Energy Credits in purchasing/upgrading Starbase weaponry, purchasing Shipyard crew (those that let you select a ship, customize a ship, buy a ship, etc.), Club, Exchange, etc.

And over time from these upgrades, the Station slowly gets bigger. There could be several different types of different starbases for purchase prices.

Regula Station Could be the first starbase to purchase, it's small and less in defenses.

Anything in between here to the Jupiter Station,

Up to the Immense Class starbase (info here: http://bfinfobase.org/index.php?title=Immense_Class )

Up to...anything here (info: http://bfinfobase.org/index.php?titl...arbase_classes )

There are more starbase classes around, I am just using Bravo Fleet as an reference for a few.

And of course Earth Spacedock, one of those old, HUGE Starbases you see in TNG.

The purchase prices, I can see, would be rather large, but it would give the fleet a chance to meet somewhere in the comfort in their Home Base, and can do anything, discuss mission ideas, find out who needs help on what and join together as a team, or if you put your mind to it, Fleet promotions, like from Recruit to member, or how I have it set up in my fleet, Fleet Ensigns to Fleet Junior Lieutenants, or Fleet Commanders to Fleet Captains, etc.

Just any creative thing can be done on a Fleet home base. And most fleets have a HQ, either its on a planet or a starbase. And these bases can be attacked from time to time, depending on their location, by a specific race. Either its an attack that happens every 5 hours or 10 hours, and if the base is destroyed, it is respawned in 24 hours, depending on how Cryptic wants to set it up.

Though One good question...Why so many asteroid systems in the first place? Until I can save up to buy me a laptop so I can go around, use it in class to collect notes, and play STO in my bedroom (live in a basement/appartment so I sleep in a 2 bed bedroom, one bed my brother sleeps in, or sometimes his girlfriend sleeps in as well......and one bed i sleep in. Bu the place is small, my bro has a computer in there, plus TV, Dressers, 360, PS2, Wii, etc. My computer is in the living room where the old man sleeps, but the game does not work on that computer cause it sucks and I'm tired of upgrading it, and it works on my old man's computer but it still lags when ever I go into a system SO FRIGGEN CROWDED WITH ASTEROIDS..*cough* or like Memory Alpha, where I lag every second which is horrible.)

So until I get a laptop for myself, why so many asteroids? Some people still have to suffer with their crappy systems for a while till they have the chance to upgrade. I myself still in class for Ford Asset, which would greatly help me, but at the moment, finding a job in that position will be difficult, because theres a lot of students in this class, and most of them have a job while some don't, like me.

Maybe make a setting that the player can clear out most of the asteroids they see, but leave in the key asteroids that have to be scanned, etc? Reason why I know its the asteroids is because, one mission, when I turned my ship where the entire planet was on my screen, the lag dropped by a lot, but when I turned back to the asteroids, I was lagging like hell.

Just a suggestion really, I can live with it, it just means my missions would take longer to complete =\.

But yeah, leave any suggestions, feedback, or recommend the idea of the Starbases for Fleets.

Plus another question, when will Fleet Logos be in place?

-James (Aka Phoenix of the USS Phoenix)

Archived Post 02-09-2010 09:35 AM

Good suggestion, but NEVER admit you live in a basement, especially on a Star Trek forum :p

Archived Post 02-09-2010 11:34 AM

LOL :) People will tease you about it :P

Archived Post 02-09-2010 11:36 AM

I bought a whole house all to myself...just so I could live in the basement...

I'm hardcore...

Neat idea btw...

Archived Post 02-10-2010 06:56 AM

Hey some people are taking it hard due to the economy, so I ain't afraid or worried of where I live. As long as I have a place to live =\, otherwise I won't be here, or on STO =P.

but back to the Starbases.

1: K Class (which should be rare, its friggen old man!!)
2: Regula type 1
3: Regula type 2
4: Regula type 3
5: Jupiter Class
6: Troy Class
7: Ilius Class
8: Immense Class
9: Earth Spacedock (one you currently see in game, unless its the one and only.)
10-A: Stardock Class (Final Class, huuuuge and well defended.)

OR

10-B: NOR Class (But since its Cardassian structure and DS9 is typically the only one being controlled by Starfleet, probably scratch this one out, but its up to Cryptic =P)

Then theres defenses, Phaser turrets, Phaser Cannon Turrets, Photon Torpedo Turrets, Quantum Torpedo turrets, etc etc.

I would suggest that, the deployable, orbital turrets should be cheaper, due to the fact they have no shields and they can be deployed, while Mounted weapons, weapons mounted onto the station at certain key points for ARC, should be more costly, due to the fact they are attached to the station and protected by the station's shields.

You would have to buy stronger orbital turrets from a factory or shop, most likely from Earth Spacedock until you are able to upgrade your station to fabricate its own orbital turrets.

And you would have to spend more in order to upgrade the station's mounted weapons. Like from Phaser Array Mark III to a Mark IV, or a Quantum torpedo launcher from a Mark IV to a Mark V, etc.

Heck, if people are creative, they could have Dual Phaser arrays, Dual Distruptor Beams, Dual Phaser Cannons, Dual Disruptor Cannons, Photon and Quantum torpedoes and Mine launchers (for incase fighters and other ships get too close to the station ;) ) then that would most definitely be a well defended starbase, no matter what class it is.

So all it takes is some ideas, creativity and lots of Energy Credits in order to get your base all built, upgraded, and well defended ;). While the Fleet has a place to go in private, set up this and that, heck maybe Fleet Starbases can also be a way to set up fun games, like a fun war game with another fleet, ya know? Basically send a priority message from your starbase to the other fleet's starbase where they will pick it up later when they get to it. And then let the Fleet Battles begin!!

Like I said, all it takes is some imagination and creativity to make these Fleet Starbases very useful =].

I personally like the Immense Class ^^

Archived Post 02-10-2010 07:03 AM

:cool:This is a good idea.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 08:01 AM

Keep on with the good/recommendations =D Cause this would be a kick arse thing to have in the game.