Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Summarized List of Missing Key-Bindings (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=111280)

Archived Post 02-09-2010 11:43 AM

Summarized List of Missing Key-Bindings

I want to help the devs with this summarized list of missing key-bindings players have asked for.

Feel free to add more useful bindings I missed.

- target self
- strafing ship
- energy presets (weapon, shields, engines, aux)
- 2 keys for dynamic increase/decrease throttle
- team (BOs) follow me (btw: selecting BOs with F keys don't work)
- set rally point
- hiding the UI
- keys for hiding several expendable UI-windows (e.g. quest-helper, mini-map, holster/change weapon window, XP-bar)

Archived Post 02-09-2010 02:11 PM

Target self is F1 by default, unless you bound it to somebody else. Clear anything bound to F1 and it will function as target self.

I'd love to see strafing ship but they can't justify a ship moving sideways in ST I think.

Energy presets can be changed to whatever you want, and saved. I use the following to access them:
Shift+1 "genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_0"
Shift+2 "genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_1"
Shift+3 "genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_2"
Shift+4 "genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_3"
Change to whatever you want and put it in a file, then load it and it will work. I found this on the forums.

Increase/decrease speed is taught to you in the tutorial, its E and Q respectively, which are normally the strafing keys in other MMOs. Press Q again when you're stopped and you hit reverse, Q again stops reverse. Or the other way. I forgot because I'm not ingame right now.

BOs follow you by default, like pets, but you can't select them with keys currently. You can also drag their ground skills to your tray, hit the key, and they will use it on your target. With no target selected you are the default target (Friendly skills only). But it's not really needed since they use their skills without being told.

Set rally point is a click command on the BOs portraits. No idea how to bind a universal one, but it works per BO.

The UI is hidden by default when you press Printscreen. No way to permanently hide it I think.

You can press F12 to move UI elements where ever you want and shrink them out of existence, too, effectively hiding them. The F12 key needs to have nothing else bound to it for this to work. I don't know why you'd want to hide these, though. Immersion? Immersion doesn't justify giving up knowing what's going on in the game though.

As for stuff I'd like to see added:
A working manual Assist command (F does NOT work by default) like Champions, nor does it let you bind one with the options. A bind command could probably do it but I'm lazy.
A bindable manual follow command for both ship and ground in the Options (Not right click follow). I had it working for both ship and player but it stopped working for some reason.
And that's all I got for now.

Archived Post 02-09-2010 03:40 PM

Thx :) but some words ...

What you said about F1/self-targeting does not work in space. It's even not possible to select my ship as target by klicking it.

Strafing is implemented by holding both mouse buttons. But I think that's unpratical, therefore key-bindings would be good.

Problem with increase/decrease throttle is that it's not dynamic but in steps of a quarter. I would like to see dynamic keys.

It's true that BOs follow by default but the problem is here that, after they were fixed at a rallypoint, I have to rightklick a small symbol so that they follow me again. Would be better to have a key for this.

Some UI elements can be shrinked, some not. But that's not a solution because would be good if I can e.g. toggle the quest helper on and off. In beta there was a button for minimize the minimap, that's also a solution but they removed that.
I want to see as amuch from the gameworld as possible, therefore I want to hide all expendable ui-windows. It would be really great if I could toggle on/off any UI window individual.

Archived Post 02-09-2010 04:02 PM

I can definitely self target myself in space. Make sure you go to Options and clear the key bind for F1 and this will work. Either that or it's a client side bug for you.....

That's not really strafing though, more like making the ship turn with the camera direction, and should really be default. An always face forward option for space is missing.

Define dynamic. You mean the longer you hold it down the more it goes up or down? That amount of finetuning is limited to mouse only so far.

If they would fix pathing for pets for both STO and CO, rally points would not really be needed, but that is a valid point.

They removed a bunch of sttuff, actually, like the choose instance when zoning option. The down arrow on the minimap is a copout to somebody not having time to make buttons for each of these functions (Like CO has). Lack of a close quest tracker button is a step backward from CO, too. As for making a toggle for anything to not be shown, that would require completely reworking the UI rearrange mode to allow you to tell the stuff to not show (Like a "is visible" checkbox on each element). Also expendable is in the eye of the beholder. I personally cannot go without the minimap, exp bar, current equipped weapon, or the quest tracker.

Good ideas overall, but unfortunately they have a ton of gameplay bugs to work on before focus gets funneled more to "quality of life" stuff like this. Sad, but true. I seem to recall they did say there would be "quality of life" changes coming soon in a State of the Game post, though.