Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   BOFF Death Idea (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=112278)

Archived Post 02-10-2010 07:53 AM

BOFF Death Idea

While I dont suggest any sort of perma-death for the player character, what do people think of a game dynamic where the BOFF's could die and need to be replaced ?

I think it could be interesting in that you would think twice about bringing a red-shirt or one of your team down for a mission. Would also make you think more about your tactics in ground combat and of course cherish your high level BOFFs more.

Since BOFF sp's are not limited, this would make it so you could always retrain new ones if they died. Could also make a combination of ground pvp and space pvp more interesting if you can kill off a ships BOFF you significantly weaken them in space combat.

Maybe a toggleable thing if they do difficulty sliders ?

Archived Post 02-10-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanid
While I dont suggest any sort of perma-death for the player character, what do people think of a game dynamic where the BOFF's could die and need to be replaced ?

I think it could be interesting in that you would think twice about bringing a red-shirt or one of your team down for a mission. Would also make you think more about your tactics in ground combat and of course cherish your high level BOFFs more.

Since BOFF sp's are not limited, this would make it so you could always retrain new ones if they died. Could also make a combination of ground pvp and space pvp more interesting if you can kill off a ships BOFF you significantly weaken them in space combat.

Maybe a toggleable thing if they do difficulty sliders ?

THis would only lead to people not bringing their BOFs with them ever. Anyone remember those "great" days of Ultima Online, where everybode went to pvp naked, cause no one wanted to lose their gear?

Archived Post 02-10-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guggnichso (Post 2026758)
THis would only lead to people not bringing their BOFs with them ever. Anyone remember those "great" days of Ultima Online, where everybode went to pvp naked, cause no one wanted to lose their gear?

Actually yes I do. I miss old-school UO very much. I miss the danger, the risks, the excitement of the unknown adventure.

However I dont think people would straight out avoid taking their BOFF's. They may just not spend as much skill points into the ones they buy.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 08:04 AM

I think you shouldn't take away stuff from people that takes longer than a PVP match to regain as a penalty. Why?

1.) Gamers got older. Not everyone is a student today or goes to school, so time is limited. When I want to pvp, and the consequence of loosing is that I need to farm mindlessly for hours to regain full strenght for my next pvp-match, I just don't pvp.

2.) Giving players the chance to take away worthy stuff from other players or force them to do things that they normally don't want to do (ie farming or grinding) will only result in an increase of griefers. People will gang up against one target in pvp to f*** it up as much as they can while ignoring any pvp targets or caring about winning the fight at all.

Harsh penalties will make a game fail faster than you can blink.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 08:09 AM

Then make it a toggleable option and make it so that if you have this option toggled then you also stand a chance to get improved loot, sp, etc but you are right you cant force people to do it.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 08:15 AM

Another un-fun option you can self inflict if you want.