Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   are the misfires intentional? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=112387)

Archived Post 02-10-2010 10:20 AM

are the misfires intentional?

it seems that about 25% of the time i try to click on a skill, fire a torpedo or release some mines there is some error. The most common one is when i press ctrl+spacebar to fire all weapons my torpedo will fire, but the mine launcher will just start its full cooldown with no mines released. Other times neither the torpedo launcher nor the mine launcher will successfully fire, but both will start their cooldowns.

These same problems occur with both keyboard commands and with clicking on the icons(both fire all and individual weapons/powers) with the mouse.

is this intentional? Is starfleet engineering that bad?

In a game you should be fighting npc's and other players, not the controls.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 10:47 AM

I doubt it.. I think it is due to the same latency that causes Rubberbanding and Missions not completing.

I just watch my skills carefully if it doesnt fire I just hit it again.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 10:55 AM

Yes the second cooldown is annoying. Something that also happens to me on ground missions is when I have to click a skill many times until it works.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 11:16 AM

Every once in a great while, I get a double fire out of a torpedo (it fires, cool down resets immediately, i can fire again). At first I thought the weapon wasn't firing, similar to how sometimes skills don't go off and you have to re-click. But in these cases I did damage with the torp that fired first.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 11:19 AM

from what I've seen in my personal experience, having graphics set to "low", especially having number of particles limited, makes it so that only a certain number of torpedoes can be fired at a time... I've tried playing on lowest settings, firing a spread of torpedoes, and nothing comes out... maybe one... it just starts the cooldown without giving me the desired buff... doesn't even show damage done, just doesn't do anything.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 11:23 AM

Been seeing the same thing allot. You have the perfect shot, you overload the torpedo, and hit the button and it does not fire. I either get a miss fire and a cool down or it just fades out for a second and comes back and I end up mashing the buttons and even try the mouse to get it to shoot. My Torpedo launcher will fire only about 50% of the time on first press if I use any of the overload skills.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 02:41 PM

Ive noticed this with mines, i driop my mines and POW! NOTHING!! only 16 second cooldown after which i missed my chance to dump mines inot a enemys face.. also is it me or is the lag getting unbearably bad?

Archived Post 02-11-2010 08:30 AM

Oh it's bad...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynabal (Post 2031852)
Ive noticed this with mines, i driop my mines and POW! NOTHING!! only 16 second cooldown after which i missed my chance to dump mines inot a enemys face.. also is it me or is the lag getting unbearably bad?

It's not just you. I think it's ridiculous that you can't depend on your controls in-game. We know it's not our keyboards/keypads because of the in-game effects (such as a cooldown for nothing, as well as the icon blinking like it was activated, then nothing happens). This is one of my major peeves with this game. If this were a first person shooter, this would sink the game. As it is now, it's pretty freaking annoying, and detracts greatly from the game, that in the middle of battle, I have to check my little weapon/skills icons to see if something has fired, and if not, if I can fire it again or have to wait for the cooldown when nothing happened. :mad:

Archived Post 02-11-2010 09:53 AM

addendum

Something that might confuse the issue could be when people's weapons are offline due to damage or outside influence. If this is the case devs probably want to make an icon color change or some way to notify the player that their weapons are offline due to other players' influence. But this isn't what I'm talking about in the previous post.

Archived Post 02-11-2010 10:56 AM

I believe it's due to input overload, at least in some cases. I have noticed that the game can't handle when I have too many things going on. Like firing my weapons and using my skills at the same time. So if you have one of your weapons on autofire (like your beams for instance) and they fire at the same time you go to use a skill or fire your torps something doesn't work. I think it's due to simplistic coding that doesn't allow for more than one fire/skill command input to be read at one time. I could be mistaken, but that's what it seems like to me.