Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   There are more unknown aliens than Klingons in the KDF (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=112992)

Archived Post 02-10-2010 08:43 PM

There are more unknown aliens than Klingons in the KDF
 
Does this seem like an issue to anyone else?

Archived Post 02-10-2010 08:50 PM

It's the KDF.

The way I see it, is the KDF is a seedy mishmash of conquered races, mercenaries, opportunists and forced labor in the Klingons desperately outgunned and outmatched fight against the rest of the known universe.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 09:13 PM

alien gives the best choice of traits, so in a way it's the best pick if your looking for a tactical advantage.

and that guy that looked like a 3 foot tall martian was pretty awesome.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 10:30 PM

I do wish Cryptic's random NPC generator was a little less random.

I'm also not amused at the surprising number of Klingons in the Federation. It's like there's a Worf around every corner. Their random NPC generator should probably be weighted to produce more traditional Federation races for the Feds (humans 80%, Vulcans 10%, basically-humans 8%, really messed up looking weirdos and Worf 2%) and the KDF should be weighted towards being Klingon, with the other official races being well represented and "aliens" being a small minority.


Not a big deal, but it would make the game look more like Star Trek and less like Champions Online -- basically just full of weird random looking humanoids.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamz
I do wish Cryptic's random NPC generator was a little less random.

I'm also not amused at the surprising number of Klingons in the Federation. It's like there's a Worf around every corner. Their random NPC generator should probably be weighted to produce more traditional Federation races for the Feds (humans 80%, Vulcans 10%, basically-humans 8%, really messed up looking weirdos and Worf 2%) and the KDF should be weighted towards being Klingon, with the other official races being well represented and "aliens" being a small minority.


Not a big deal, but it would make the game look more like Star Trek and less like Champions Online -- basically just full of weird random looking humanoids.

Klingons were up until recently allied and had officers serving in the federation. It's not that much of a stretch.

Look at it this way - the players in the game are supposed to represent exceptional captains - so maybe there's a correlation there. People want to have an interesting story, at least I hope that is why.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 10:49 PM

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...s/surgery1.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...surgery2-1.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...s/surgery3.jpg

My not so Klingon-looking Klingon warrior girl.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Klingons were up until recently allied and had officers serving in the federation. It's not that much of a stretch.

Even Worf apparently went back to the KDF though. Any who stuck with the Feds would officially be traitors to their people at this point.

But I'm not talking about the player-characters, I mean the random NPCs that spawn, for example in the Ice Mining battle. There's a relatively large number of Klingon-looking NPCs that show up there on the Federation side. IMO, Klingon NPCs working for the Federation should be extremely rare.

Archived Post 02-10-2010 11:46 PM

I suppose I should have been more clear - I was talking about player characters, rather than NPCs.

Just by my rough estimate, I'd guess more than 50% of KDF players are using alien for their characters. This is not just visually jarring - it's indicating what I see as a real problem with the character creation. Traits have an admittedly minor impact on your character's overall performance, but it would be really nice if they would do something to make the premade races a bit better so people would have an incentive to pick them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithborn
and that guy that looked like a 3 foot tall martian was pretty awesome.

I thought that was novel the first time I saw one run by. The appeal wore off quickly after the first dozen or so.

Archived Post 02-11-2010 12:31 AM

I completely agree about the Klingons in the Federation, I swear, between player characters, bridge officers and npcs, there are more Klingons in the Federation than there are in the entire Klingon Empire! Frankly, I can see allowing Klingon PCs, but I don't feel that Klingon BOs and NPCs should be an option for the Feds, I mean, we are at war, aren't we?

Archived Post 02-11-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithborn
alien gives the best choice of traits, so in a way it's the best pick if your looking for a tactical advantage.

and that guy that looked like a 3 foot tall martian was pretty awesome.

I agree the Gorn forced traits are crap no wonder everyone rolls a human looking alien. Same goes for the Feds I bet just not as obvious.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 PM.