Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   rare/epic ships please (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=114461)

Archived Post 02-12-2010 01:50 AM

rare/epic ships please

Would anyone else like to see the introduction of rare/epic ships? I know rare/epic items don't stay rare for long as most people end up with them in the end but surely there is some way to keep them rare? Not only would this give Admiral's something to aim for but it would increase the variety of ships available at the capped level. Also it would be something 'shiny' to spot in space now and again :)

Or how about fleet Flagships which could be bought, limited to 1 per fleet, by paying an enourmous amount of energy credits or by some other means. Perhaps this fleet flagship could be permenantly lost once it is destroyed in an engagement, meanig the fleet has to work hard to protect it and/or choose when to deploy it. Fleet would have to save heard for another one and this would be a limited introduction to an STO death penalty.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 01:54 AM

Only way to keep rare things rare is to have a limited number which would result is epic carebear tears of unfairness or have them be destroyed which would result in epic tears from carebears because its unfair that their pixxels went poof because they were stupid.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 02:44 AM

Carebears?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltec
Only way to keep rare things rare is to have a limited number which would result is epic carebear tears of unfairness or have them be destroyed which would result in epic tears from carebears because its unfair that their pixxels went poof because they were stupid.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 03:07 AM

Quick bumps as i'd really like a few opinions on this even if it is just to shoot it down. Thanks.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wd_harding
Quick bumps as i'd really like a few opinions on this even if it is just to shoot it down. Thanks.

Im all for it. Risk and having something rare that requires balls to fly.

Just saying what is going to get in the way:(

Archived Post 02-12-2010 03:58 AM

Hell, I'd say why not, if they look star trek-ish enough and are not UBER, or else everyone else will have them or cry that they can't get them.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltec

This.

So, no.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Securion (Post 2054183)
This.

So, no.

Because having huge chunks of time to dedicate (translation: No life, no responsibilites) means you should get better stuff.

No.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strombonni
Because having huge chunks of time to dedicate (translation: No life, no responsibilites) means you should get better stuff.

No.

Why did you quote me?

I agree with you, ****head. :D

Archived Post 02-12-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wd_harding
Would anyone else like to see the introduction of rare/epic ships? I know rare/epic items don't stay rare for long as most people end up with them in the end but surely there is some way to keep them rare? Not only would this give Admiral's something to aim for but it would increase the variety of ships available at the capped level. Also it would be something 'shiny' to spot in space now and again :)

Or how about fleet Flagships which could be bought, limited to 1 per fleet, by paying an enourmous amount of energy credits or by some other means. Perhaps this fleet flagship could be permenantly lost once it is destroyed in an engagement, meanig the fleet has to work hard to protect it and/or choose when to deploy it. Fleet would have to save heard for another one and this would be a limited introduction to an STO death penalty.

The things you're describing would turn the game into a hardcore game, personally I prefer to keep it casual the way it is. STO in a hardcore setting just doesn't really work, you'll exclude a major part of the population from items just so some people can show off and feel cool. All behaviour for which the principles of 25th century humanity doesn't stand for.

Stuff like perminent destruction a la EVE is something I don't want to see at all. Besides with a fleet ship who decides that he earns the right to fly such a ship?
A much cooler idea is to have fleet stations (that the entire fleet can use) instead of flag ships or more customizing options for the current ships. That way you keep things accessable for everybody but people do get to define their ships and looks more.