Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Aceton Field isn't bugged anymore! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=114767)

Archived Post 02-12-2010 09:42 AM

Aceton Field isn't bugged anymore!

So, has anyone tried it out in PvP yet?

I have been playing around with Aceton Field II on my T5 Fed character, but queues are so long that I've only done a few games, and the maneuverability of the T5 Cruiser is not really conducive to getting a lot of use from a 90 degree arc ability.

I did notice that while the tooltip indicates it does damage to the target every time they attempt to fire energy weapons, the actual effect seems to be just a straight (very minor) DoT. Apparently my dream of watching a Bird-of-Prey melt itself with Cannon: Rapid Fire will not be coming true.

That being said, still, cutting the target's damage output by 50% for 25 seconds seems like it could be pretty useful. Although I have no idea where that -50% gets applied; it could be reducing just base damage, it could be factored in at the very end of damage calculations, or anywhere in between.

So, anyone else, thoughts as to its utility?

Archived Post 02-12-2010 10:23 AM

Underpowered for such an high tier ability and it's 90 degree arc.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 10:25 AM

ive had it used on me

i had all 6 beams of my carrier going and was taking 50 dmg per beam so other than the dmg reduction it gives it wasnt that impressive and there are better teir 4 bo ablitys

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:08 PM

It's really the best ability you can get for t4 easily.

For Klingon Cruisers you have to use it. There's simply no downside and it makes all heads up matches auto win. The opponent pretty much stops hurting you and it lasts for 25s! Combine that with 2 RSPs and people will very, VERY soon be crying about how this ability lasts too long.

For Fed characters it's still the best ability but not a 'must have' like for Klingons. The reason is the turn rate and playstyle. It's much tougher to spam this ability every 45s when compared to klingons, but it's still incredibly powerful to use on an off target.

By T4 I mean the highest rank BO eng slot. Your only options are aceton field, boarding party, and eject warp plasma. Real no brainer.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustTray (Post 2059006)
It's really the best ability you can get for t4 easily.

For Klingon Cruisers you have to use it. There's simply no downside and it makes all heads up matches auto win. The opponent pretty much stops hurting you and it lasts for 25s! Combine that with 2 RSPs and people will very, VERY soon be crying about how this ability lasts too long.

For Fed characters it's still the best ability but not a 'must have' like for Klingons. The reason is the turn rate and playstyle. It's much tougher to spam this ability every 45s when compared to klingons, but it's still incredibly powerful to use on an off target.

extend shields, checkmate

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithborn
extend shields, checkmate

DId you forget to include the part where there was a point or statement to be made?

EXTEND SHIELDS!

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:19 PM

Nobody is going to stop firing because of Aceton Field, the damage it does is a joke. Useless skill in its current form imo.

Extend Shields III ftw.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasmussen (Post 2059161)
Nobody is going to stop firing because of Aceton Field, the damage it does is a joke. Useless skill in its current form imo.

It's funny how wrong you are. I thought it was going to be useless too.

The reason it's so powerful - it stacks with everything because it's a debuff to the opponent's power. You literally make them do no damage for 25s. How is that NOT overpowered? It has nothing to do with the damage it does to them, it makes them stop hurting everyone.

Let me ask you this, what would you rather have? Any ability to boost your own shields is only going to be a marginal increase over the myriad of other shield/hull abilities cruisers already offer/provide. For the highest gain, you simply debuff the enemy instead of buffing yourself further.

Edit - how many extend shields do you need? I already have 2 and 2 RSPS on my negh var. If you're taking a third over aceton field you're simply a noob. Nothing more to be said. Actually, please take another ability over aceton field, you're just gimping yourself for pvp and making it easier for me.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustTray (Post 2059213)
It's funny how wrong you are. I thought it was going to be useless too.

The reason it's so powerful - it stacks with everything because it's a debuff to the opponent's power. You literally make them do no damage for 25s. How is that NOT overpowered? It has nothing to do with the damage it does to them, it makes them stop hurting everyone.

Let me ask you this, what would you rather have? Any ability to boost your own shields is only going to be a marginal increase over the myriad of other shield/hull abilities cruisers already offer/provide. For the highest gain, you simply debuff the enemy instead of buffing yourself further.

It hasn't hampered my dps, and its been used several times on me. Plasma's might be off by 5-10% at most, hardly noticable. Maybe its debuff is still broken.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasmussen (Post 2059268)
It hasn't hampered my dps, and its been used several times on me. Plasma's might be off by 5-10% at most, hardly noticable. Maybe its debuff is still broken.

You're confused then as to whats being used on you. Read what it does again. I promise you're not even scratching anyone with this ability on you. I say that from both experience and just common sense as to what -50% energy dmg mathmatically does to your dps, even in the most ideal possible situation.

There's just no arguing the numbers. Again, a THIRD extend shields? Nah, you definitely take aceton field.