Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Can we get mission content sliders? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=114874)

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:02 PM

Can we get mission content sliders?

BUMP this if you like the idea!!

Real simple:
  • For patrol and exploration missions.
  • Two sliders: Type and Location.
  • Percentage sliders, from 1%-100%, but only let us range it from 15%-85% to keep some random luck in there.
  • Type: the odds of a random mission being combat or science/exploraiton.
  • Location: the odds of a random mission being space or ground based.
  • That's it.

I bet this would make the appeal of exploration missions MUCH stronger, and put the Trek more into this game. If someone wants to play a crazy Section 31 commando squad, they can do 85% ground and 85% combat, and kick arse all day. If someone wants to be a science officer exploring, go 85% non-combat and mix up the space/ground 50/50.

Like for me, I actually prefer ground missions. I'd probably do something like 75% ground for Location, 50/50 split on combat vs non-combat under Type, on my main character. On my other characters, I'd go differently.

Good idea or bad?

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zilag
Real simple:
  • For patrol and exploration missions.
  • Two sliders: Type and Location.
  • Percentage sliders, from 1%-100%, but only let us range it from 15%-85% to keep some random luck in there.
  • Type: the odds of a random mission being combat or science/exploraiton.
  • Location: the odds of a random mission being space or ground based.
  • That's it.

I bet this would make the appeal of exploration missions MUCH stronger, and put the Trek more into this game. If someone wants to play a crazy Section 31 commando squad, they can do 85% ground and 85% combat, and kick arse all day. If someone wants to be a science officer exploring, go 85% non-combat and mix up the space/ground 50/50.

Like for me, I actually prefer ground missions. I'd probably do something like 75% ground for Location, 50/50 split on combat vs non-combat under Type, on my main character. On my other characters, I'd go differently.

Good idea or bad?

Interesting, i like the idea, and don't know how feasible it may be. Would be nice to have that kind of control over the content.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:05 PM

Anarchy Online had a functionality like this. It also controlled difficulty and loot, I believe.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayrune
Interesting, i like the idea, and don't know how feasible it may be. Would be nice to have that kind of control over the content.

Assuming that the Genesis system is playing random odds, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to expose those controls, and to make them easy to change.

It would also extend play of this game DRAMATICALLY, in theory. If I'm feeling like not fighting one night but just want to chat with people and "immerse", I could toss everything over to one end of the spectrum. If I want to work on gearing up my ground combat on BOFFs the next few days after I can spend all my time beaming down and saving colonists or stopping Orion looters. And so on...

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilnik
Anarchy Online had a functionality like this. It also controlled difficulty and loot, I believe.

Content Sliders + Difficulty Sliders + eventually having something like a "Holodeck" to design our own Episodes or multi-episode Arcs = pretty much a long-term Win for this game's longevity and playability.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:28 PM

I agree highly with this post.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planet03
I agree highly with this post.

Thanks! The more that do...

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:41 PM

It is definitely an interesting idea, I'll bump it.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:46 PM

I like the idea but I don't think the Genesis Engine works like that. From what I understand it just creates random locations like a planet/ground location and adds a few random mobs but then the Devs have to go in and add all the guts. Its not a random mission generator or anything,

This is one of the major things that disappointed me about STO. I wish they had added several fleshed out missions and then had randomly generated missions in-between like: Rescue such a body from planet X and kills so many on planet X and so on.

When you go into clusters, Those missions are not random. They have made several and its just random chance which of those 7 come up. I have played the same mission several times.

The crafted one may as well of been random generated because 90% of them are poor to say the least.

Shame really. large opportunity missed. Like a poster said before. Anarchy Online rocked at the time because of this little feature.

Archived Post 02-12-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loxanna
I like the idea but I don't think the Genesis Engine works like that. From what I understand it just creates random locations like a planet/ground location and adds a few random mobs but then the Devs have to go in and add all the guts. Its not a random mission generator or anything,

This is one of the major things that disappointed me about STO. I wish they had added several fleshed out missions and then had randomly generated missions in-between like: Rescue such a body from planet X and kills so many on planet X and so on.

When you go into clusters, Those missions are not random. They have made several and its just random chance which of those 7 come up. I have played the same mission several times.

The crafted one may as well of been random generated because 90% of them are poor to say the least.

Shame really. large opportunity missed. Like a poster said before. Anarchy Online rocked at the time because of this little feature.

In the first release/iteration of the game, it's not an opportunity missed. In my opinion pre-original Naxxaramas World of ******** was crappy compared to the Burning Crusade era, which I think was half-arsed compared to the final Lich King era with the introduction of their Dungeon Finder tool, which was massively fundamental change to the game mechanics and dynamics. Everyone I know said that the Dungeon Finder would drive off some of the Uber L33t Hardcore players as it devalues them, but would add years of fun and life to the game for other 95% of the player base.

I think everyone is giving up on STO too early--it's not even two weeks in.