Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Missions to Hard (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=116352)

Archived Post 02-13-2010 04:11 PM

Missions to Hard

Ok i know this may sound weird . But i am dropping a lot of missions as i cannot fight frigates in a science vessel. Most missions require this to be standard to fight frigates.

So how do i know before i select a mission on its difficulty? Not having a pre-order bonus ship it makes it things harder.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 04:26 PM

This game is easy. You might want to read the forums for Science vessel, your chosen profession, and Bridge Officers and Powers.

Hit J and the level of the missions shows right there

Lieutenant = Leverl 1 - 10
Lt. Commander = 11 - 20
Commander = 21 - 30 etc.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 04:27 PM

I suspect the problem is your energy settings. In general, going with the "offensive" (max power to weapons) preset should see you through just about all the PvE missions.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 04:28 PM

The pre-order bonus ship (original Constitution) is really no different in performance from the Miranda and it's kin...except for an additional Engineering console station.

When it comes to Frigates, the standard is in 3's. You being a Science officer bring a lot more skills to handle multiple enemies than the other classes. So, that leads to a couple things for you to check out:

- What's your power setting when you attack? Are you in balance, speed or attack? If you're in speed settings, change it, as your weapons are almost useless. Balanced is marginally better, as is Defense. But, being in Attack settings means your weapons are getting most of the power and will do more damage.

- In the Light Cruiser facing Frigates (Birds of Prey fit this category also), keep your focus on one ship at a time, drop your speed to 50% and keep turning and balancing your shields. When you get the word that "target's shields have failed", get your nose on the target and torpedo it. Frigate-type enemies don't have much for shields and paper for hulls, so you should be able to get one burned down in a matter of seconds. It's also why they come at you in three's...They know they can't take the punishment, so they overwhelm you with numbers.

- Use you Science skills. I know you don't start out with many (like the rest of us), but as a Science officer, you do get some good ones. Jam Targeting Sensors (Scramble sensors) is great against multiple enemies and is dang fun to watch what happens. :) You should get a placate pretty early (Jam Sensors, I think)...Pop this on one of the frigates and there's one you don't have to worry about for a few seconds.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 04:36 PM

Most of the times i move in at Defense setting to see how much punch they have ,then i start evasive actions while firing photons. Some ships are firing power drain things at me and i cannot escape them. Only way out is too exit game.

Seems like not enough general information is at hand . My rank is lvl3 and i just cannot generate enough income to do anything.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 04:42 PM

I use my power settings on shields when faced with some heavy hitters. Then I go in guns blazing and pound on one at a time until they pop. Use your sensors and any other tricks you have up your sleeve. :)

Archived Post 02-13-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacecode
Most of the times i move in at Defense setting to see how much punch they have ,then i start evasive actions while firing photons. Some ships are firing power drain things at me and i cannot escape them. Only way out is too exit game.

Seems like not enough general information is at hand . My rank is lvl3 and i just cannot generate enough income to do anything.

To be quite honest, I usually just stay in Attack setting, which has most of your power to your weapons, less to your shields and minimal to your engines and aux. In Defense, it's the other way around (more to shields, less to weapons), but you need the extra power to weapons to get through their shields. While my main is a Tactical officer (bonus to weapons), I do have a Science officer alt, and using most of the same tactics I've always used, I don't have a problem with any ship(s) I'm facing.

Another thing to mention is how to engage. With the Light Cruisers (and later, the Cruisers and Science vessels) is when you attack, attack with a side facing, AKA broadside. To maximise this, in your weapons panel, right-click on your arrays, front and back, and make sure they both have a green border. This sets those weapons into Auto-fire mode. Then make your approach and at around 10.5km, turn your side to your target. Once you're in range (9.9km), hit your spacebar. This will fire both array weapons at the same time and keep them firing until you lose line of sight on the target or it's destroyed.

In those ships, a front facing (head to head) attack is putting you at a disadvantage, as you're only bearing one weapon on your target. Putting two on the target with a broadside means your ship's attack is twice as powerful and will hurt a shield twice as bad.

So, basically, keep as much power to weapons as you can, attack with every weapon you can most of the time, and keep balancing your shields. It might take you a bit to get used to a different way of thinking, but you should see an improvement in your combat results.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Remember Photons won't do much damage when their shields are up. What kind of other weapons do you have. I'd recommend a beam array on the fore and aft. Turn your ship broadside to them, so both fore and aft beam arrays can hit the target. Put weapons power on maximum. Fire until their shields come down, then turn into them and fire your Photons.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 05:16 PM

Dont wanna sound dumb but what arrays? all i see on the Hud is 3 weapons skills to fire. I usually on click on the shields when to recharge them.

This why i am having trouble i have no idea on what i am doing in the game? Seems no one wants to help you in game.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Dont wanna sound dumb but what arrays? all i see on the Hud is 3 weapons skills to fire. I usually on click on the shields when to recharge them.

In a light cruiser, you've got forward two weapons slots and one rear weapon slot. It sounds like one of your forward weapon slots has a torpedo in it (that's pretty standard). If you haven't tried replacing either of the other two weapons, then they are phaser arrays. Phaser arrays have a 270 degree firing arc, which means that the forward and aft firing arcs overlap each other. If you get a target in the area where the two arcs overlap, then both phasers can hit it, allowing you to do twice as much damage as you would if, say the target was directly behind you and only the rear array could hit it.

There are other types of weapons which you could try experimenting with. For example the dual beam bank only has a 90 degree firing arc, the single cannon has a 180 degree firing arc, and dual cannons only have 45 degree firing arcs. A turret has a full 360 degree firing arc. Generally the more restricted the firing arc, the more damage the weapon does -- but of course the more work you'll need to do to get your enemy into your firing arc.

Put your mouse on top of the weapons skills in the HUD. You should see the type of weapon, and the amount of damage it does. If you leave the mouse on the weapon button, after a few seconds, you should also see the firing arc overlayed on top of your ship, so you can see exactly what the weapon covers.

For more info, check [url=http://sto-intel.org/wiki/Category:Starship_Weapons#Energy_Weapons]this page out at sto-intel.org[url]. There's also a weapons information thread floating around somewhere on these forums.