Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Ground: Why Are Feds So Awful (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=116420)

Archived Post 02-13-2010 05:58 PM

Ground: Why Are Feds So Awful

Granted I realize that sometimes Feds get shafted with people like this:
http://thepurge.net/public/goodjob.wmv (right click, save as)

But in general, you people are just awful at ground PvP. You're so awful, it's not even fun for me. I'm tired of games with 40 to 5 scores. It's been true T1 - T4 and on my alt it's still true T1 - T2 on the second pass.

You people are terrible.

Here's just a few pointers:

1) USE YOUR MINIMAP.

You have a map. It is mini. It shows you where your teammates are. You should try to find them. Finding your teammates takes priority over finding enemies unless you are winning by a lot, like me.

2) Get a split beam rifle. (and upgrade your outdated ground gear)

What weapon are you using right now? That weapons sucks. I don't care what you answered my question with. It sucks. Throw it into the dumpster. I don't care if it's a purple dual pistol drop that you paid 2 million credits for. It's trash. Get a split beam rifle. If you're tactical with a lot of ground combat training (T3+) get two.

The sniper rifle is superior in a 1v1 fight. Are you fighting 1v1? No. So get a split beam as your exploit weapon. For your second weapon either get a second split beam (guns do not share timers, even two identical guns) or a good expose weapon. I personally suggest a stun pistol (which has good range on the special attack) or a "full auto" weapon, which will have good range. The other pistols don't have enough range to do what you need them to do and the cylinder AE weapons don't hit enough targets. Get a good long range cone AE expose weapon to go with your good long range cone exploit weapon.

Or, as mentioned, just get two good exploit weapons, especially if you're Tactical (I do so much damage with full ground combat training that I don't need an expose to get a lot of kills).

Don't bother with melee unless you are winning by a lot, like me.

3) Get the proper kit.

Engineers! Listen up. DEPLOYABLES ARE WORTHLESS HUNKS OF CRAP. I'm sorry, but it's true. All of your deployables are stupid and worthless and awful. Throw your stupid deployable kits in the garbage immediately. If you want to whine to Cryptic, feel free to do so but in the meantime GET A BETTER KIT. Weapon malfunction is a great ability. Mines are pretty good. That shield thing that buffs your resists is good. Just stay away from deployables.

Scientists! Actually none of your kits are awful but I suggest you go for the kits that do the most number of AE exposes. Think of an expose attack as an ability that says, "10% chance to allow you one-shot your opponent". Get those. The heals can be helpful too but you're rarely going to have the reaction time to cure an expose so I think the usefulness is fairly limited. If people want heals they can carry hypos.

Tacticals! Most of your kits are good. I'd stay away from Close Combat kits because melee is mostly just silly but cloaking can be a good way of dashing behind an enemy group and getting some great flanking shots. I personally like the Security kits because of the resist buffs and the "fake expose" which causes enemies to waste their special attacks (and also further buffs your allies' resists) but the Fire Team and Operative and Squad Leader kits are all handy too. Just make sure you keep your buffs up all the time.

4) Medium/Large Hypos. Stock up.

Find the vendor that sells T1 ground equipment for cash. He'll sell small, medium and large hypos. T2 and beyond you'll have plenty of money to blow on these things. Every slot on your character and in your backpack should be filled with these things. They cycle fast, they're big heals, they're cheap, there's no reason not to carry a hundred of them. There are also +damage expendables you can use that are on a separate timer from the hypos. There are also shield heal expendables but I don't find them that useful because shields heal so fast anyway.

I would probably never kill anyone with my bat'leth if you idiots would just use hypos.

5) Rolling ups your defense. Sprinting ups your defense. Roll and sprint more.

6) Are you taking fire? Get behind cover, you incompetent toh-pah!

7) Deal with melee spam.

If someone gets in your face, either get away from them or spam your rifle melee attack until they get exposed, then disintegrate them. If you don't do it to them, they'll certainly do it to you. (I usually sprint backwards away from these people because I'd rather bet that I can kill them with gunfire than take the 50/50 chance on melee spam to see who can expose who first).

8) Learn what the "expose" symbol looks like.

It's a red rotating circle type thing. If you see it on yourself then you're probably dead. In the unlikely event you can actually move, hide behind cover until it goes away.

Being exposed by most sources will cause a 10 second hold which means you won't be able to do anything except wait to die. It sucks. I agree. You'll just have to deal with it like everyone else.

9) Target Next Exposed

There is a keybinding for this. By default I believe it's bound to "G". It targets the next exposed person. This is very handy. Although your split beam rifle will tend to guarantee that you can hit exposed people without aiming at them, targeting them first will guarantee the hit.

10) Adjust your controls.

Did you know you can turn off that "zoom" feature when you go into aim mode? Makes ground combat soo much more enjoyable, in my opinion.

I also personally have my ground controls set up so that I never "automatically face off screen targets" (which will get you killed) and so that nothing I do will cause me to select a target unless I actually hit TAB. Normally I just hit "fire" and let it shoot whatever is in front of me. With my awesome split beam it really doesn't matter that much what I'm targeting anyway because I'm going to hit everything in a cone in front of me. Sometimes I will target someone to make sure I can chase them down and finish them off but I rarely find this to be necessary.

It's rarely necessary because most of you are idiots who will stand there behind your worthless deployables, firing your stupid worthless pistol and not healing yourself with hypos because you didn't bring any and not taking cover, so I can kill you without actually needing to target you anyway.

Now, heed this message and go forth and suck no more. You're boring me to death with your horrible, incompetent gameplay. It's like you're trying to grief me out of the game by just sucking as badly as you all do.

By the way, Jackelope, thanks a lot for rewarding the losers so richly that most of them don't even care enough to try.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:06 PM

I vote for changing the title so more people will read it, then sticky for truth.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:07 PM

I stopped caring about ground based pvp tbh.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:11 PM

Every time I'm in a match with my fellows feds, I find that they don't do **** to hold up the team (I'm in the commander PvP tier). It's getting tiresome. I frequently dish out 3000 - 10,000 damage in one match, and my team has like 5 - 350. Every match I've played in the past few weeks has been my team getting *****, me getting all the kills, and the other team laughing at us.

I agree with this thread.

Either figure out how to fire your gun, or unsubscribe, because we don't want you taking up valuable space for people who actually know how to play.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:13 PM

In related news, I don't think it's fair that Feds get to complete their "die 25 times" quest so easily in PvP. I haven't completed that quest in like a week.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:17 PM

I'm pretty sure we don't have that quest, lol.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRicky (Post 2076665)
I vote for changing the title so more people will read it, then sticky for truth.

I agree. Titles that dig at anyone end up not providing the help they offer due to folks automatically avoiding such threads.

Ground Combat tips & Tricks would be been a much better title

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamz
In related news, I don't think it's fair that Feds get to complete their "die 25 times" quest so easily in PvP. I haven't completed that quest in like a week.

Feds don't get that quest.

Thanks for the G key, I hadn't realized that one was there.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:32 PM

One of the biggest issues I have seen are all the level 11's running into PvP with their tier 1 equipment and then wondering why the people with the big guns and big health walk all over them.

Archived Post 02-13-2010 06:36 PM

I think it's because the pve is so easy and also boring, dulls people's wits. On hypos- even thought I don't do ground pvp about a 3rd of my inventory is hypos and powercells, others may carry a lot less as pve doesn't need them and they might carry a lot of items or crafting stuff on them.

I'm thinking engineer deployables are probably the best thing they have for pve too since surviving isn't exactly difficult, so the best kits they have are probably deployables.

Also for the rare times I enter ground pvp I love the medic kit, it's too much fun running about being invincible(sprint and roll dudes).

Archived Post 02-13-2010 07:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing today when I was playing. I don't even know how it is possible to have such low damage numbers as most of the Fed players I run across have. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some good Fed players, but the majority of them I run into anymore are just sad, which sucks, because I know they are trying.

Was actually in a match earlier today where our team of 4 Klingons was under constant assault from all sides for the last half of the match. When the game ended, I noticed we had only died five times. It was literally 4 against 5 and we kept on so well...

I do think a majority of it has to do with the fact that most Feds are used to solo play with Bridge Officers and when they keep losing in ground PvP, they just shrug and go do more PvE stuff.

I have gotten to a point where I give advice to the Feds in zone chat during a match. One person exposed me five different times during a match and never exploited, I thought for sure I was dead every time till I realized she didn't have another weapon...

I still enjoy a good slaughter, but I can see it getting a little ridiculous later on.