Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Graphical and Sound Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   NVidia Drivers (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=117542)

Archived Post 02-14-2010 02:18 PM

NVidia Drivers

What drivers seem to work the best with STO ?
I've used the 2 latest,one of which is a beta,but i'm still getting alot of graphics bugs,tears,missing textures etc.I'm using XP 32 Bit,7800GS 512 mb ( I know its an old card but its still got life in it yet :D )

Any help much appreciated

Archived Post 02-14-2010 02:54 PM

196.21 works best so far. Haven't tested the new beta drivers since these run so well. On my laptop I use the laptop build for 195.86.

Archived Post 02-14-2010 10:09 PM

Nvidia Drivers

Im using the latest drivers and it makes my game run good , but when i close the program the screen goes completely black and I can,t do anything except wait for about 5 min for it to come back. Some times i have to reset.

XFX 9800 GTX
6 Gig DDRII
AMD Phenom Quad Core 9550
Win 7 64bit ultimate

Its really frustrating, also happens alot in **** when I alt tab, which you have to do alot in that game

I am running two monitors that are not the same size, could this be contributing to the problem ?

any input is appriciated

Archived Post 02-14-2010 10:34 PM

I use the 196.34 (beta) drivers since the 196.21 crashed almost non-stop on my desktop.
Got an ASUS ENGTX275

Archived Post 02-15-2010 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymartin
Im using the latest drivers and it makes my game run good , but when i close the program the screen goes completely black and I can,t do anything except wait for about 5 min for it to come back. Some times i have to reset.

XFX 9800 GTX
6 Gig DDRII
AMD Phenom Quad Core 9550
Win 7 64bit ultimate

Its really frustrating, also happens alot in **** when I alt tab, which you have to do alot in that game

I am running two monitors that are not the same size, could this be contributing to the problem ?

any input is appriciated

The black screen issue may be due to resolution/rendering changes. I have experienced a similiar issue in another game.. When it would crash the screen would go black (like the monitor lost the signal) and all I could do was ctrl-alt-del, S, enter (to reboot) as I could not see the screen any more.

Sadly I never found a solution. :(

On topic, I have an 8800 GT (overclocked) using the 195.62 drivers and have had no issues.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 04:17 AM

196.34 (the Beta) for me. The 195 drivers caused so many problems but 196.21 fixed all those (including overheating) but had no options to overclock the card in the control panel so I updated to the Beta where the bug is fixed.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 04:24 AM

EVGA Precision had a fix for the OC bug two days after it came out (3 numbers in a reg entry, that requires a beta? lolz). 195's failed all around for me, turn on shadows and dropped to 2 fps. 196's worked aside from the cursor bug, all max settings never dipping below 55fps. It only took me about 8 hours and a few attempts to hack the pentagon before I got the cursor fixed though. Installed the 195's and did a dirty install of the 196's on top of it.

Figures, the crap I ***** at people for actually fixed mine this time.

SLI GTX 260

Archived Post 02-15-2010 10:05 AM

overheating nVidia 295 BFG

I bet his game would have melted my nVidia 295 BFG if I didnít catch it in time. I turned the graphics res up to full in game, after all, the cards designed for heavy graphics, after a while, I could smell what smelt like burning rubber, I went to check the gpu and it was running at about 80 degreeís, possible more while i was in melee, the cpuís are running at 50 degreeís. No other game causes my gpu to go berserk. Iím now running this game at the 1st lowest setting for high fps. The graphics do look really cool in max, but not much chance of me seeing them again without melting my gpu

Archived Post 02-15-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordzog
I bet his game would have melted my nVidia 295 BFG if I didnít catch it in time. I turned the graphics res up to full in game, after all, the cards designed for heavy graphics, after a while, I could smell what smelt like burning rubber, I went to check the gpu and it was running at about 80 degreeís, possible more while i was in melee, the cpuís are running at 50 degreeís. No other game causes my gpu to go berserk. Iím now running this game at the 1st lowest setting for high fps. The graphics do look really cool in max, but not much chance of me seeing them again without melting my gpu

my 275 gets up to 75-85 while playing and it has no problems at all at those temperatures...sounds like bad components in your GPU.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 10:38 AM

I have a stock EVGA GTX 285/Win7 64t/E8500 processor and all good quality parts. I'm using the latest NVIDIA release drivers from their site. I've also gone to microsofts site and downloanded the latest's release of the directx redistributable. 9.0C dated 2/5/2010 and installed that (there is another thread on that topic)

I've also loaded the game up in an XP 32 bit partition same hardware... same result so we can't blame this one on Windows 7.

I put the switch into the advanced setitngs of the launcher /perframesleep 10 In the game I set everythign to max then turned on vertical sync turned shadows off and dynamic lighting off and play in a maximized window.

Runs cool, decent quality, crashed maybe once every 4-5 hours of play.

When I was using the older Nvidia drivers I was crashing once or twice per hour.

Now between everything I have done and the things Cryptic has done with all their updates I am not really sure what made it better. The fact I have to do all this to play without burning up my card and locking up several times per hour is pretty bad. You folks are onto something good here, get better before you mess up this game please. I really mean that in a more positive way than I know it sounds.