Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   A few thoughts about bridge officers (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=117835)

Archived Post 02-14-2010 09:29 PM

A few thoughts about bridge officers

Tonight it struck me that in addition to my six active bridge officers, I have another five simply waiting for slots to open for my crew. And this is on my highest character who is currently LTC 10.

When I look at them, most seem to be almost clones of each other - sure, I might be able to find one whose skill I want to swap to one of my active officers, but the others are currently just dead weight.

I might be wierd, but I tend to think of my officers as actual characters, rather than just an extension of my own character. I haven't gone so far as to write biographies for them (yet), but in my head, each one of my officers has a distinct personality and role on my crew. No matter how hard I try, I simply can't see myself ever "firing" one of them. But I'm going to have to, because otherwise I will eventually run out of space for new officer candidates.

So, I have some thoughts I wanted to throw out and see how everyone else feels about this.

1. Do we really need to get a new bridge officer candidate every few levels? It seems a bit redundant. I might appreciate it more if I had a choice of several candidates each time the lady popped up in the comm window, so that I could choose who might best fit my crew (or who might best train my crew).

2. What if we occasionally lost officers to heroic/tragic events? I'm thinking of those "ship....out of danger?" moments that would happen every so often in the various series and the movies. Obviously, this sort of thing would be painful for the player, but in a roleplay sense it appeals to me to think that one of my officers might sacrifice themselves to save my ship and crew (and me!). Plus, in gameplay terms it would give us a reason to constantly have all these new candidates showing up.

3. I have to echo what people have been saying since beta - I'd like my officers to occasionally be the lead-in for some unique events. Like my andorian tactical officer is challenged to a Ushaan back on Andoria. Or my vulcan science officer goes through Pon'Far. Or my chief medical officer is abducted by unknown assailants and the rest of the crew has to rescue him.

4. I'd like to be able to designate a first officer, and have that officer get some sort of bonus ability or something because of the status. I just think it would be neat, and a good roleplay mechanism.

5. I would like to see missions where all of my army of bridge officers participate - not just the four that happen to be in my away team. For example, a mission map with multiple "take and hold" style objectives. When you reach a location and take it, you leave an officer there with a security team to hold the position (or repair it, or man that station, or etc.)

Anyway those are my thoughts. I guess the main thing is that I feel like the bridge officers are our Scotties, Spocks, Bones's, Uhuras, Chekhovs, and Sulus. They're the Rikers and Crushers and Datas and La Forges. I'd like to see them get the chance to really develop throughout the game as supporting characters, and be less like a commodity than they are now.

Archived Post 02-14-2010 09:44 PM

I second exactly everything you have said and authough I have posted what im about to say on another forum I think your post is a better conduit for my lill tid-bit. I had an itch today to rename my engineering officer's short name to Chief.... then I had a though.. what if at some point I want to call my first officer by his first name? like say to star off I want to call him "Number 1" but later want to change it to Will. Just a though. I guess my suggestion is to make names unchangeable,, but to beable to change the short name.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Picklez (Post 2093311)
I second exactly everything you have said and authough I have posted what im about to say on another forum I think your post is a better conduit for my lill tid-bit. I had an itch today to rename my engineering officer's short name to Chief.... then I had a though.. what if at some point I want to call my first officer by his first name? like say to star off I want to call him "Number 1" but later want to change it to Will. Just a though. I guess my suggestion is to make names unchangeable,, but to beable to change the short name.

Maybe if you could give your bridge officers a title, like you can with your own character? And maybe if one of the options was a custom title? Dunno, just thinking.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 07:58 AM

I would like to designate First Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Tactical, Chief Science and Chief Medical. This title make those characthers come up during dialogs so isnt some random BO

Archived Post 02-15-2010 08:09 AM

I have posted about a first officer many times, here is a link to one of them: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=112764

What I said was this:

My idea is a bit different. T4 and T5 ships should have an extra "utility" console. This would be in addition to all those already in place. (Think about how riker had his own console next to his char on the Enterprise)

This console however, would be special in that it would only allow 1 space skill. This space skill, however, could be any skill across the entire game. The limitations would be that your player would have to be taught the lvl III aspect of the skill by your captain, or bridge officer canditate or already posses it.

But this would allow a Cruiser for example to get a high tired Tact skill such as Attk Omega, or high tired science skill such as VM II.

This 1st officer would vacate any console he was previously using, and that would be filled by another officer in your crew. Your "number one" would keep all his previously trained skills, and ground skills.
---

I also think at the T5 ship level you should be able to get a LT Commander skill from one of the BOFF station that adds the 2nd console of your ship. Each T5 ship tier has 2 ships for its class, each adds a 2nd console to a specific profession. Whichever one you choose should also give you a additional ability to that 1st console.

For example, Assault Cruiers get a LTC skill from their Tact officer. Star Cruisers get it from their Science officer.

I think this would benifit the game as a whole, because everyone would have the same ability to promote and gain the extra skill.

This would fit with everything cannon bout trek. Riker got his own console, Chakotay got one. Its fairly straight forward. They would be command division so any skill would be open to them. There would be alot of variety out there with different ships and captains picking different skills.

If you wanted to take it further with other "positions" that would be tougher to do. But I think if you geared it more toward ground combat, it would work. A chief Med Officer would get a 5th ground skill, the same thing for a Chief Sec officer.

But with the 1st officer, it would add an interesting dynaic to the game.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 09:57 AM

I like the concept of a first officer getting their own console on bigger/more advanced ships. Neat idea!

Archived Post 02-15-2010 12:14 PM

I think all of the ideas are great. And as long as we are adding things... how about the ability to hide your away team's weapons on missions? More of a "we come in peace" idea, rather than a "shoot first, ask questions later".

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Picklez (Post 2099928)
I think all of the ideas are great. And as long as we are adding things... how about the ability to hide your away team's weapons on missions? More of a "we come in peace" idea, rather than a "shoot first, ask questions later".

Auto-holstering for players and bridge officers is something that's been asked for repeatedly by players - hopefully they get that in soon!

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bebbe (Post 2097210)
I would like to designate First Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Tactical, Chief Science and Chief Medical. This title make those characthers come up during dialogs so isnt some random BO

You hit the nail on the head with that one. Designating those departments to certain officers and that officers style affect the inner workings

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bebbe (Post 2097210)

That would be great. As you can see from my signature, I already did all that's up to me, I even leave my Number one on the ship when I go on an away mission, so it would be great if Cryptic added actual bridge mechanics similar to ones we see on the shows.