Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Can only create two seperate characters? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=117895)

Archived Post 02-14-2010 10:34 PM

Can only create two seperate characters?

I understand the game is new and partially incomplete because of deadlines and all. That being said, all the other online games I have played including city of heros/villians, has allowed for multiple characters to be made and not been limited to just two. It may be just because of it being so new and lack of server space etc. But I would like to know if that is the case. If not why is it and will cryptic open up more slots for character creation. With all the aliens and spec choices on both factions it is rather limited to be only two. I like the game but not sure only being able to max out two characters is worth the 15 dollars plus tax a month. Will be grateful for any info on this. ty

Archived Post 02-14-2010 10:39 PM

once you have a L6 character you get a least 1 additional character slot and the ability to roll a Klingon faction character

Archived Post 02-14-2010 10:40 PM

It is actualy 3. the other one unlocks at level 6 when you can play klingons

Archived Post 02-14-2010 11:42 PM

still limits to three, slim pickens as they say down south. Hope they up the stakes or a lot of people will say there is not enough options and leave. thank you all by the way for your replies. It is helpful.

Archived Post 02-14-2010 11:56 PM

Not that I'm against having more char slots but right now as i have reached com 5 i have 3 slots for fed and 1 for Klingon. That's one for science, engineer and tactical. not sure why you need 2 of any of those. you can make your char pretty much look like any alien race you can think of.

In most the games I've played the only reason you get multi char slots is so you can try out each race in those games or start out in different areas or zones. or maybe you have alts setup for crafting or different professions, that doesn't really apply to sto. once again ill say I'm not against it but sto is one game I've played that i didn't feel the need for an alt. just saying

Archived Post 02-15-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flox (Post 2094542)

In most the games I've played the only reason you get multi char slots is so you can try out each race in those games or start out in different areas or zones. or maybe you have alts setup for crafting or different professions, that doesn't really apply to sto. once again ill say I'm not against it but sto is one game I've played that i didn't feel the need for an alt. just saying

1st slot: the character you do everything first with - isnt built very well - experimenting on tactics and equipment
2nd slot: the refined character using the knowledge and mistakes of first to do better - twinked out by first character
3rd slot: the fun/joke character - weird build and ship configs, etc

Archived Post 02-15-2010 12:24 AM

Dunno about what Flox has.. maybe his game is corrupt stating he has 4 slots.. wierd.

but anyhow, the game initially has 2 character slots.

Once you have 1 character reach lvl 6, a 3rd slot unlocks as well as the Klingon faction.

If you had pre-ordered the game, you had an option to purchase the 1 yr or Lifetime subscription which gave an additional 2 character slots for a total of 5 slots. This required a pre-order key on your account and the subscription purchase before Feb. 1, 2010.

Cryptic has stated that they will add additional character slots to the C-Store in the future, however the cost of the slots and when they become available hasn't been stated as of yet.

so depending on when you purchased and what subacription type you have, you will either be limited to 3 character slots or 5 character slots.

the 3rd slot that opens when you reach lvl 6 isn't limited to a Klingon Only character, you can play Fed or Klingon with it.. It is just another option.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:10 AM

They also said that there are only 2 character slots (3 with Klingon) because the information they need to save for each character is so complex (ship data, stuff you put into the ships, all the bridge officers skills and equipment etc.)

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:58 AM

Some more slots would be nice . Perhaps more will become available in the future ?

Archived Post 02-15-2010 03:00 AM

ty for the reply. I will say this. I pay 15 dollars a month plus tax. I paid 50 dollars to get the game and have had to deal with pathces downloads and a day or three worth of having to wait for access to it all. the last think I want to hear is I may be charged for more slots and I should have pre-ordered. If it turns out I need to purchace more slots they can take their game and shove it. I like star trek a lot and I like what I played so far but paying to play and then paying to play more on top of that is not good business. tharts called screwing the customer to make a buck. They need to make the game sesireable for people without a ton of money or they will fail.