Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Most of the Negativity - Misguided (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=118063)

Archived Post 02-15-2010 05:55 AM

Most of the Negativity - Misguided

Looking at the timeline on MMOs, reading the posts of a great many folks whining on these boards, and understanding the lure of the Star Trek license, it's pretty obvious where a lot of the negativity comes from in this game. We've got a few groups of people here:

a) MMO Veterans from years back, who've been through the betas and the bugs and the updates and the "updates," and who understand that MMOs are vastly different from other types of games in that they aren't released as complete, self-contained gaming experiences. They understand that MMO companies all make the choice of exactly WHAT gets left out at release, and no one is 100% happy.

b) MMO Veterans who have allowed their years of playing one particular game spoil them, and cause them to forget the buggy, empty, boring opening periods... which weren't quite as boring to them back then, simply because it was their first time going through it. Now these folks expect every game to release at the level of an older, more developed game which they see through rose-colored glasses.

c) People who are not new to MMOs, but rather have only played MMOs AFTER release... so this is their first RELEASE MMO. As a result, they've never had to see the "sausage factory" before, so to speak. They're used to coming in after the work is done, and they mistakenly believe that's how it was from day one.

d) People who are brand new to MMOs, who will eventually be shuffled into one of the three categories above--not based on the game, but based on how the COMMUNITY makes them feel. Think back to your first game, especially those that played pre-Vent or TeamSpeak. It was that in-game guild chat that defined your feelings as a player.

So, let's not waste any further time attempting to reason with Category B or C people, while they focus on trying to poison Category D. Find those Category D people, help them out, and you'll find there are plenty of them to replace any of the B/C people still haunting these halls. Offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism--which means criticize it, but also provide an alternative or potential fix, not just some self-important ultimatum or "prophecy" of doom.

Signed,

Not a ST or Cryptic Fanboy, but an MMO Fanboy.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:01 AM

At least Cryptic isn't dropping me into the middle of the ocean to drown to death and not able to retrive my corpse ala WOW

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:02 AM

I agree completely - those that got in at day one and were expecting STO to rival more established MMOs in content or stability are incredibly naive.

To those that have never played an MMO before and signed up because it's Star Trek - things will improve - if it's not your cup of tea right now then come back in a while when the Devs have had a chance to build on the framework the game is at the moment.

I'm perfectly happy with what STO is right now and I'm looking forward to it getting better and better.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AegisPrime (Post 2096344)
I agree completely - those that got in at day one and were expecting STO to rival more established MMOs in content or stability are incredibly naive.

To those that have never played an MMO before and signed up because it's Star Trek - things will improve - if it's not your cup of tea right now then come back in a while when the Devs have had a chance to build on the framework the game is at the moment.

I'm perfectly happy with what STO is right now and I'm looking forward to it getting better and better.

Yeah I agree that it is naive. But on the other hand I can see what all those people think. You know, in nearly every other business new product will be better then already established products, or it wont be successful. Only in MMOs new products are worse (I honestly think so) then established. It is just a nature of the beast. But it is difficult to really understand.
In the end I dont blame that people are canceling if they feel that the game is half assed.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:11 AM

Im from group A. Server crashes and bugs dont bother me its to be expected, its just the game isnt anything like Star Trek.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:12 AM

i hope more people quit.
The whinning gets to me.
Still, after they get everything stable, there is alot they can do with this game.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staran (Post 2096402)
The whinning gets to me.

This.

Loving the game, hating the whiners.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:15 AM

Yeah, how dare people expect some quality and a finished project.

How negative....

We are all Star Trek fanboys/girls. That's why we are here. We like Star Trek.

But you OP are a fanboi. Not to mention a whiny one whining about customers with issues, whom you've taken upon yourself to label them as whiners. I can see why others are so negative when it is you yourself that is just as negative if not moreso. That is too sad, but that has come to be expected of fanbois who are easily impressed by devs releasing content that should have been in the game from the start. Of course people like you applaud the way Cryptic has handled the Klingon faction(sic joke) as an example and think they can do no wrong with there being no room for improvement. You can applaud them for rushing the game before completion, just don't be so butt hurt when others think differently.

Honestly if you don't like discussions, you don't belong on discussion forums. Or if you want to pay everybodys sub that you want to shut up and be quiet, I would have no problem with your draconian views then. Otherwise, stick to the trolling and flamebait threads, you are doing a fine job of it.

Fanobys hate on the game and want to see changes.
Fanbois hate on those people over a video game.

There is only one negative group here.

You might want to start rethinking what you people are all about, it sure as hell isn't Star Trek.

*edited before the dumb mod can* I'm surprised the idiots mods haven't swooped into this one to cater to and defend their whiney baby patrol who spam the report button on peolple they hate.....

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:19 AM

It's an ok game. Problem is after 7-8 levels of playing each mission started to feel like a chore. The gameplay isn't reall yfun anymore and I only play to reach the next rank, when all inbetween leveling feels like work it's not a game anymore, but a second job.

It's simply not interesting enough. I'll play out my "free" month and then I'm out of here. Will come back and check progress after a few months though. You basicly have 5 mission types you do over and over and over again.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStreaker
Yeah, how dare people expect some quality and a finished project.

How negative....

Never happened. Never will in an MMO.
You will never understand that. The concept it too difficult. No point on discussing it.