Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Burning a Copy of the Digital Download? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=118497)

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:30 PM

Burning a Copy of the Digital Download?

I was wondering what folder I burn onto a disk for a setup file so I can test it on another machine? Thanks.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CptSparrow
I was wondering what folder I burn onto a disk for a setup file so I can test it on another machine? Thanks.

I am thinking the setup is too big for a normal DvD... you are probably going to need Blu-ray to keep it on one disk.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seljek (Post 2101367)
I am thinking the setup is too big for a normal DvD... you are probably going to need Blu-ray to keep it on one disk.

um the retail ships on 1 disc... if you can get that on one disc then you should be able to get the digital download on one disc...

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:39 PM

ok, but what folder? I know STO installed in the gaming folder like WoW and some other games....but that's after its installed so I'm just wondering what folder I put on a DVD for it to run setup..?

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkmaster (Post 2101391)
um the retail ships on 1 disc... if you can get that on one disc then you should be able to get the digital download on one disc...

I have the DDE also... so really I did not know that, they probably come on dual-layered DvDs which are harder to burn... as most games do.

Quote:

ok, but what folder? I know STO installed in the gaming folder like WoW and some other games....but that's after its installed so I'm just wondering what folder I put on a DVD for it to run setup..?

My beta downloader defaulted to making a desktop folder called "downloads/STO" the STO folder should have the setups... which equal about 7.35 Gigs.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:45 PM

Ok if I can't burn it what about the download file Gamestop.com gives you? Could I transfer it and re-download it since I purchased it?:confused:

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Ok if I can't burn it what about the download file Gamestop.com gives you? Could I transfer it and re-download it since I purchased it?:confused:

Yes, you could probably redownload it on another computer if thats what you are asking.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:50 PM

I shall try to redownload it on another PC then.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 01:56 PM

I am not 100% sure if this applies to the DDE version but with the Boxed version you can just burn the game folder (Wherever its installed) to a DVD. The install currently stands at about 8gb so it will easily fit on a Dual Layer DVD.

Then take the disc to another comp and simply copy the folder to your HD and run: Star Trek Online.exe from the folder.

Saves doing a full re-install on the other comp. Doing it this way ofc transfers a fully patched version too.

I moved STO to a recently bought Solid State Drive and I had no issues. Not sure if it uses any registry settings, Usually I find MMOs don't use any that wont be recreated when the launcher is run for the first time.

Archived Post 02-15-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loxanna
I am not 100% sure if this applies to the DDE version but with the Boxed version you can just burn the game folder (Wherever its installed) to a DVD. The install currently stands at about 8gb so it will easily fit on a Dual Layer DVD.

Then take the disc to another comp and simply copy the folder to your HD and run: Star Trek Online.exe from the folder.

Saves doing a full re-install on the other comp. Doing it this way ofc transfers a fully patched version too.

I moved STO to a recently bought Solid State Drive and I had no issues. Not sure if it uses any registry settings, Usually I find MMOs don't use any that wont be recreated when the launcher is run for the first time.

Thanks I logged onto Gamestop and I'm allowed 3 more (so total of 5) activations and downloads...that's crappy I paid 50bucks for something I can only reinstall 5 times...I should ordered it...thanks for the help I may try burning it...