Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Since when do Hirogen cloak? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=118647)

Archived Post 02-15-2010 04:21 PM

Since when do Hirogen cloak?

I don't seem to remember Hirogen being able to cloak themselves. Memory Alpha doesn't mention it, either.

Is this something new, or a bug where Hirogen NPCs think they're Jem'Hadar?

Archived Post 02-15-2010 05:54 PM

Considering they're allied with the Romulans, I'd guess that they got cloaking devices from them.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor12345 (Post 2103952)
Considering they're allied with the Romulans, I'd guess that they got cloaking devices from them.

Romulans have personal cloaking devices?

I meant that on ground missions, Hirogen can cloak/shroud themselves, they look like Jem'Hadar when they do it.

Archived Post 03-16-2011 04:56 AM

Yes, I have been wondering about this too.

See screenshot for cloaked Hirogen:
Cloaked Hirogen

I tried to find some info on this power on any Star Trek site, but didn't find anything on personal cloaking devices.

It was mentioned that the Hirogen ships have a "stealth mode", whatever that means.
I'm assuming it's their version of a cloak, but it could also be a sensor masking unit making the ship undetectable, but still visible if you were to look out the window and see the Hirogen vessel directly.

That was the only information I was able to find on the Hirogen's cloaking technology.

And Romulans (as far as I know) have not developed personal cloaks, so they could not have supplied this technology to the Hirogen.

Has it ever been shown in a tv episode that the Hirogen have a personal cloaking device?
If so, can you cite the series and episode so I can see it for myself?

Archived Post 03-16-2011 05:22 AM

personal cloaks are not something we have ever really seen in star trek, outside of the jem'hadar shroud skill.

its probably something that was invented sometime between nemesis and now, maybe using the jem'hadar as a template.

coupled with the fact that they are hunters and a stealth field would be helpful and they are now allies of the romulans it makes sense.

Archived Post 03-16-2011 06:44 AM

I submit to you that the Hirogen are basically Yautja (Predator) expy's so it stands to reason they'd have a personal cloaking shield. Now if we can only convince the designers to give them those snazzy helmets...

Archived Post 03-16-2011 06:46 AM

"In game", I think that has been in for a long time. I think a barely used Tactical Kit power does this effect as well.

But on the show? I don't remember the Hirogen well enough. I remember that another "hunter race" in DS9 where their prey, "Tosk" was capable of cloaking. And the Jem'Hardar have a personal cloaking device.

it is possible the Hirogen developed them on their own? Maybe after they learned more about the holographic technology, they build a personal device to get a cloak-like effect?

Archived Post 03-17-2011 01:39 PM

Quite the contrary, personal cloaking is available to Feds, and is canon, (see act 1 ST: Insurrection)

Archived Post 03-17-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timotheus.d (Post 3437262)
Quite the contrary, personal cloaking is available to Feds, and is canon, (see act 1 ST: Insurrection)

I had completely forgotten that scene.

Archived Post 03-17-2011 11:33 PM

Is it an actual cloak though?

It could just be a holographic masking unit, with no sensor masking abilities whatsoever.
That would be good for observing non-advanced species, who did not have the capability to detect the "invisible" individual.

Of course, it could be Sona technology, which was being heavily used in the attempt to move the Ba'ku to another world.