Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Should I replace my BO's or keep them? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=118974)

Archived Post 02-15-2010 11:26 PM

Should I replace my BO's or keep them?

Seeing as you can get rare BO's from mission's as you advance, should I dismiss the ones I have had with me since the beginning (and lose all those BO points) or keep them and "Train up" with free skills I might want to replace on them? Just hate to see all those BO points lost and having to train up a new BO just because its "rare". Any thoughts?

Archived Post 02-15-2010 11:34 PM

same question here - are the blue bos really that much of a buff?
Has anyone any experience with this situation?

Archived Post 02-16-2010 12:41 AM

i have not bothered replacing the white ones from the start and have not had any probs all the way to 45, the skills mostly only seem to effect the ground and the bonuses are minimal.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 12:44 AM

Weeeeell....

You don't really lose out on too much when replacing BO's, since unlike player skill points, BO skill points are unlimited in supply. Unless you (naturally) play Klingon-side as the Honor system is stupid.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 09:22 AM

Ok good! I didn't like the idea of losing all those points that they just got for a small incentive. Though it would be interesting if your BO's have a chance they could be killed and you would have to replace them or if they seen another command and wanted to "move on" to their own ship, sorta thing.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davfor
Ok good! I didn't like the idea of losing all those points that they just got for a small incentive. Though it would be interesting if your BO's have a chance they could be killed and you would have to replace them or if they seen another command and wanted to "move on" to their own ship, sorta thing.

Just avoid giving them red uniforms and you don't have to worry about that.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 01:46 PM

Personally, I tend to swap out only at lower levels to avoid the BO point loss, although unlike your own skills, there doesn't seem to be a cap on BO skills and you max them out at their 'appropriate' levels (ie below you) pretty quickly. If one has two or more rare skills you've found or if you like the toon then by all means trade up. If its just a single rare skill, then its sometimes better just to use them for training.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nausicaan.Brute
Just avoid giving them red uniforms and you don't have to worry about that.

Lol I know you mean avoid the real "Redshirt" ones and not Tac uniforms which are usually red, but I found this funny. :D

Archived Post 02-16-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davfor
Seeing as you can get rare BO's from mission's as you advance, should I dismiss the ones I have had with me since the beginning (and lose all those BO points) or keep them and "Train up" with free skills I might want to replace on them? Just hate to see all those BO points lost and having to train up a new BO just because its "rare". Any thoughts?

The only inherent bonus rare BOs have over your stock BOs are their racial traits. Rare BOs typically have better versions of the stock racial traits, but it's generally not worth swapping out an entire officer for.

Rare BOs also sometimes you have skills you can't get anyway else (I saw Reverse Shield Polarity III as an example in another topic). If you see one you want then just have them train a current officer, but if there are several then I would consider a change.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 06:42 PM

Jeeze, all this talk about BO...just go take a dang shower then go for a long run, you will replace your BO fine.