Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Leveled up vs. "rare" BOs-- help me understand (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=119670)

Archived Post 02-16-2010 02:24 PM

Leveled up vs. "rare" BOs-- help me understand

All my current BOs are ones I got relatively early on. I've carefully used others I've bought or earned along the way to train my current ones up as I saw fit. One of my tacticals is actually STILL the original Andorian girl from the Tutorial, and I'm Commander 2 now. All my BOs are Lt. Commanders; I've had the entire crew basically since I was Lt 5ish. I'm basically happy with their current skills but always check every new acquisition or troll Exchange looking for good skills I may want. I've got a backlog of 2-3 officers at any time on Assignments where I'm waiting to do something with them.

So my question -- are the Blues or Purples any better than my crew that I've leveled up the long way? Are they still just Whites/Commons that become uber? Or are they somehow still substandard?

I mean literally--all of these guys just about are 9/9 for their Tier 1/2 abilities so far.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 03:04 PM

From what I understand the rare BO's will have a unique ability, that you wouldn't normally get in rewards or the power store, that cannot be "up trained" to any other BO. IF this is true, this is incredibly stupid. Please correct me if otherwise.

Other than that, Iíve done the exact same thing youíve done, I kept half my crew from level 1. I still have my Liberated Borg who is my chief engineer now. Iíd like to just hang on to her and well, the rest of them since I have all these points into them.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 03:08 PM

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=1881805

Archived Post 02-16-2010 03:18 PM

This is good news, according to that thread we can train up everything in skills. We just can't transfer traits and I'm cool with that.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdb2008 (Post 2116110)
This is good news, according to that thread we can train up everything in skills. We just can't transfer traits and I'm cool with that.

Yeah, so it appears that my theory was correct-- you can keep your same BO squad indefinitely, and keep training/cross training/retraining to get exactly the BO you want with luck and drops.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zilag
Yeah, so it appears that my theory was correct-- you can keep your same BO squad indefinitely, and keep training/cross training/retraining to get exactly the BO you want with luck and drops.

With the restrictions regarding unlocked/unlockable BO skills, yes.

The elements unique to rare/very rare BOs that cannot be transfered to an existing bridge crew are the special traits. For example rare BOs can have the ground attribute "superior creativity" whereas common BOs can only have normal "creativity", with the former being slightly better.
So there is a benefit to recruiting rare/very rare BOs over common/bought ones, but only a tiny one.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint (Post 2116851)
With the restrictions regarding unlocked/unlockable BO skills, yes.

The elements unique to rare/very rare BOs that cannot be transfered to an existing bridge crew are the special traits. For example rare BOs can have the ground attribute "superior creativity" whereas common BOs can only have normal "creativity", with the former being slightly better.
So there is a benefit to recruiting rare/very rare BOs over common/bought ones, but only a tiny one.

So, it's going to come down to the traits, i.e., the racial traits. Man, I'd be more happy with a level III ensign ability, if such a thing exists.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint (Post 2116851)

Based on this and the fact I really could care less anymore in gaming about min/maxing, I'm so happy I have no reason to ever dump my BO squad.

I still wish we could easily get more, so that I could have a separate ground crew vs. space crew, or at least split the teams a bit...

Archived Post 02-16-2010 07:53 PM

I still use my early bridge officers. No real point starting up later ones from scratch, since you can transfer their rare abilities to your existing officers.

Archived Post 02-16-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zilag
Based on this and the fact I really could care less anymore in gaming about min/maxing, I'm so happy I have no reason to ever dump my BO squad.

I still wish we could easily get more, so that I could have a separate ground crew vs. space crew, or at least split the teams a bit...

At RA5 I have 10 boff slots. My ship only needs 5, so you can have both ground and space boffs.