Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Skill for BO Training is missing (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=120135)

Archived Post 02-17-2010 03:12 AM

Skill for BO Training is missing

Hi,

I am Commander actually. I trained the "Shield Efficiency" skill up the whole 9 points. As the description of the skill - in english - I understood that you will be able to train "Emergency to Shield III" to your Brdige Officers.

But in my list of the skills that I can train I do not have this skill right now.

After the last updates my description is in german right now and there is no information about the skill "Emergency to Shield III" anymore.

Is this a bug or changed the skill box right now? Does anyone got the same problem?

Greetings
Chaise

Archived Post 02-17-2010 05:49 AM

As far as I know you can only train it if you are an engineer. Whats you character class?

Archived Post 02-18-2010 06:47 AM

Hm ... maybe that is the problem. I am a tactical officer. Thanks for the info.

Archived Post 02-18-2010 09:24 AM

I have the exact same issue being an Engineer and training Science skills. The problem is that there isn't any indication anywhere that tells you that these BO skills are class specific. The skill description text is extremely misleading.

Archived Post 02-19-2010 12:11 AM

Yes unfortunately, and I don't understand why this things have not been fixed in beta. I mean its not a complicated bug, its just a text. And they have already applyed 4-5? live patches without fixing the skill descriptions.

Archived Post 02-19-2010 03:26 AM

The problem is this restriction, along with the inability to trade already comissioned BOs to other players (thus completely preventing access to unlocked rank III abilities outside of one's own class), is intentional and not a bug.

There has been an extensive discussion about this issue in this topic,
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=107698
including other possible/impossible ways to attain desired BO abilities.

Somewhere down the line in that thread somebody mentions an early mission dialogue.
Shortly after completing the tutorial and arriving on starbase 1 you are sent to (LT ?)Cmdr. Bolt, on the starbase, who talks to you about skills and BOs etc. Apparently that dialogue includes a notion that as a player you will only be able to teach your BOs abilities that correspond to your own class.
This info could be considered somewhat hidden. Despite normally reading all mission dialogues I originally missed this part as well (think I did skip this dialogue, thinking it was only about BO basics that I already knew).

So far there has been no official statement on this issue and considering what we do know the currently implemented restrictions are unlikely to change.

Archived Post 02-20-2010 02:51 AM

I have this problem as well but the class specific limitation is not true in my case.

-I am a Science Officer, Commander.

-I have 9 ranks in “Scientist” which “unlocks the skill to train officer’s ‘Science Team III’”.

-I have a Science officer at Lt Commander.

-I have found multiple pages saying that Science Team III is a Lt Commander skill.

-The “Train Officer” button on my status screen is grayed out.

-The “Train” button on the status screen of my Lt Commander Science officer is also grayed out. If I hover over it, I see the message, “You do not know any skills that can be trained to a bridge officer.”

-I have confirmed for the hundredth time that I have 9 ranks in “Scientist”.

So... what am I missing? Is the game lying to me... ... again? Any suggestions for a solution would be appreciated. Thank you.

Archived Post 02-20-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barthius (Post 2156332)
I have this problem as well but the class specific limitation is not true in my case.

-I am a Science Officer, Commander.

-I have 9 ranks in “Scientist” which “unlocks the skill to train officer’s ‘Science Team III’”.

-I have a Science officer at Lt Commander.

-I have found multiple pages saying that Science Team III is a Lt Commander skill.

-The “Train Officer” button on my status screen is grayed out.

-The “Train” button on the status screen of my Lt Commander Science officer is also grayed out. If I hover over it, I see the message, “You do not know any skills that can be trained to a bridge officer.”

-I have confirmed for the hundredth time that I have 9 ranks in “Scientist”.

So... what am I missing? Is the game lying to me... ... again? Any suggestions for a solution would be appreciated. Thank you.

There is a bug where you need Doctor 9 to unlock Science Team III. It will be corrected to Scientist 9 but it hasn't been yet.

Archived Post 02-20-2010 11:06 AM

That is unfortunate. It does seriously mitigate the usefulness of having a cross-class ship (engineering officer in a science vessel, as in my case). Since you cannot even have a commander slot of a type that is different from the class of the vessel, most of those skills are not useful in my case. I really hope they change that.

Archived Post 02-20-2010 11:04 PM

Thank you Dakirn. Apparently that is my problem then. I’m impressed with how easily you came up with this information seeing as I had spent so much time myself trying to figure it out. Well done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint (Post 2144239)
The problem is this restriction, along with the inability to trade already comissioned BOs to other players (thus completely preventing access to unlocked rank III abilities outside of one's own class), is intentional and not a bug.

I would say that despite this being intentional, there is indeed a bug. If I am only able to train skills to officers that are the same career path as myself, then why does it still say that I am able to train ANY of the trainable skills in my skill list? For instance... if I am an science officer, then why does Starship Torpedo Weapons still say “Learning all nine ranks unlocks the skill to train officers Torpedo: High Yield III.”? I mean... if that is something that only tactical officers can do, it should not show up for engineers and science officers.

What game has anyone played where the skill descriptions were the same for every class? Doesn’t that seem elementary to anyone?

...unless I am just misunderstanding something? But if I am... then that means that the game design is not intuitive and therefore of poor quality. (In this situation and in so many others.)

Even as a super Star Trek fan, my patience with this game is wearing thin.