Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Cryptic, two reasons why you should allow UI modding (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=121697)

Archived Post 02-18-2010 08:30 PM

Cryptic, two reasons why you should allow UI modding

1. You are apparently overextended from your success
2. All other big MMOGs have vital moddings communities too

In detail

1. seems so you "accidently" made a great MMOG, number 2 after WoW. And that's your problem. Your unexpected great success does simply overextend you. For e.g. the fact you still didn't change market sorting from date to price sorting although players desperatly begged for this shows clearly how overextended you are.
Same with all the other UI- and control-requests, you ignore them because too much other things to do and this will stay for months.
Simple solution: Let the community do the job, move the UI files from the server to the client and we will solve all problems and fulfil all wishes with our power.

2. WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, *** and all the other big MMOGs have great modding communities too, it's simply state of the art for a big MMOG like STO to have UI-modding. You can be sure that this demand will come over and over and over again so please don't block it. STO will be your Gold-Ass if you do it right and doing it right means allow UI-modding.

Archived Post 02-18-2010 09:54 PM

/ s i g n e d

Archived Post 02-18-2010 10:26 PM

agreed

easier to expose certain elements through an API than to try to satisfy everyone's personal preferences with your own code... not possible --- edit- not easy

Archived Post 02-19-2010 03:35 AM

Double agreed.

Archived Post 02-19-2010 04:46 AM

Signed.

Allowing UI mods helps to develop the community, as individuals feel a greater attachment and ownership of the game, especially after having invested time to get their UI just right.

Archived Post 02-19-2010 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seltona
Signed.

Allowing UI mods helps to develop the community, as individuals feel a greater attachment and ownership of the game, especially after having invested time to get their UI just right.

Agreed, it goes from me playing your game to playing our game.

Archived Post 02-19-2010 05:39 AM

Dear Cryptic --

The great/big/giant Star Trek + MMO fan/user base is sitting in your lap, teetering in your hands, whatever you want to call it.

It's all right here, man, and you've got it. If it feels like you're pinching off any part of that or those two universes together and the possibilities they contain, then you will pinch off your success -- as simple as that.

We, the Star Trek community, are giving you something -- and we're looking carefully to see if you're big enough to bear the weight. [Pardon to members of the community if I'm putting words in your mouth].

I imagine that you already know all this, but it is the number one thing -- that faith -- and it bears repeating.

So, yeah, open up the U.I.

You want to be the PC (and leverage all that fan power) or you want to be the Mac (and try to dictate to us what should be the Star Trek experience)?

Who has the bigger market share?

By the way, love you, total fanboi (just awed to be here) kiss-kiss.

Archived Post 02-19-2010 05:40 AM

/signed

i would like to see ui modding as im not keen on the current ui its a bit to bulkey for my taste and i would love to make a new UI one thing ive noticed in every interview cryptic has said they will listen to the comunitey and if the majoritey want something and its doabul and fun still they will get it done

I would estimate at least 80% of the comunitey want this by looking through other threads so please practice what your preeching and if its on the way let us know so we dont have to keep begging for it

Archived Post 02-19-2010 09:46 AM

/signed as well..

Archived Post 02-19-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Jones
/signed as well..

As an addon author for WOW, I also concur. Release a limited "UI sandbox" like WOW did, and release the hounds!