Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Attn: Those with tinfoil hats (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=125284)

Archived Post 02-23-2010 09:39 AM

Attn: Those with tinfoil hats

The reason Star Trek Online is a mediocre game is because it's a mediocre game.

It's not because Cryptic is out to get your 15 dollars a month and then trying their damnedest to screw you over again.

Cryptic employees are not evil.

They're not trying to subvert the MMO industry.

The Cryptic CEO is not sitting in his office, reading your 10 page complaint about TOS SKIRTS, twirling his mustache, and going "Haw Haw, I shall NEVER implement such skirts! Now, watch me kill this kitten. "

The reason STO is a mediocre game is because of a tight deadline and the rash, hasty decisions that the design team is forced to make under such circumstances.

It's a bad situation, and both Cryptic and the player base are trying to deal with it, because neither wants the product to fail.

It's fine to criticize the game, but every single time I read a post with the word "Apologist" or "fanboi" slung around, it really grates my nerves.

Even worse - when the criticism strays far from the product - developer boundary and straight out goes for the developers' throats. Hell, I've seen death threats against Cryptic employees being thrown around (by that self-proclaimed army-dude, no less) and it just boggles my mind that you people have the time and energy do to this.

Please, stop the conspiracies.

Cryptic is an average development studio dealing with an unreasonable set of constraints from the Publisher. It has limited resources, limited personel, and limited time. The reason Cryptic hasn't addressed your complaint yet is NOT because they're out to get you and the free world with their fascist ideologies, it's because their fuzzy prioritization logic placed said issue in the back of their queue.

There's no conspiracy here. Just a bunch of average Joes like you and like me stuck with a bad situation under constraints they cannot control.

If you disapprove, then I encourage you to vote with your money and cancel your subscription. But personally attacking Cryptic employees is probably not something you'd look back with approval years down the road.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 09:40 AM

Mediocre? I wish it were.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 09:42 AM

You apparently missed the staff meeting where this topic was re-assigned to mikey5time.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=125219

Please try to arrive on time in the future to prevent these mistakes.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseOfWoe (Post 2186843)
Mediocre? I wish it were.

It's mediocre.

It's not bad, because I can name quite many MMOs which had far worse launches.

It's not good, because I can name more MMOs which had far better launches.

So it's mediocre.

On a scale of 1 - 10, 5.5-6.5 (range of most reviews who gave a score) is pretty much the definition of mediocre.

Quote:

You apparently missed the staff meeting where this topic was re-assigned to mikey5time.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=125219

Please try to arrive on time in the future to prevent these mistakes.
Hi. My name is parody. You can find me here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

Archived Post 02-23-2010 09:48 AM

Not mediocre? Its much better than mediocre.

It's reasonably stable and mostly bug free (now). Can't say that for most of the mmos out there, especially a month after launch. If you're an MMO the bar is pretty low to begin with, this isn't mass effect for frack's sake.

Sure, they could use more content. But the potential this game has right now is huge. I don't know about you, but I'm having the most fun I've ever had in any MMO.

Or any Trek game.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithie
Cryptic is an average development studio dealing with an unreasonable set of constraints from the Publisher.

This is an important point many people fail to take into account. This is a business just like the contractor who is hired to build an office. He has a contract in place with time constraints and penalties if he does not finish on time. I am quite sure a similar process was put into place for this game.

For those who feel the game is lacking in content, then simply wait to purchase it or cancel your subscription until such time as you think the content is up to your standards.

the only other choice would have been to delay the launch of the game, in which case nobody would get to play and the company loses money.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithie
The reason Star Trek Online is a mediocre game is because it's a mediocre game.

It's not because Cryptic is out to get your 15 dollars a month and then trying their damnedest to screw you over again.

Cryptic employees are not evil.

They're not trying to subvert the MMO industry.

The Cryptic CEO is not sitting in his office, reading your 10 page complaint about TOS SKIRTS, twirling his mustache, and going "Haw Haw, I shall NEVER implement such skirts! Now, watch me kill this kitten. "

The reason STO is a mediocre game is because of a tight deadline and the rash, hasty decisions that the design team is forced to make under such circumstances.

It's a bad situation, and both Cryptic and the player base are trying to deal with it, because neither wants the product to fail.

It's fine to criticize the game, but every single time I read a post with the word "Apologist" or "fanboi" slung around, it really grates my nerves.

Even worse - when the criticism strays far from the product - developer boundary and straight out goes for the developers' throats. Hell, I've seen death threats against Cryptic employees being thrown around (by that self-proclaimed army-dude, no less) and it just boggles my mind that you people have the time and energy do to this.

Please, stop the conspiracies.

Cryptic is an average development studio dealing with an unreasonable set of constraints from the Publisher. It has limited resources, limited personel, and limited time. The reason Cryptic hasn't addressed your complaint yet is NOT because they're out to get you and the free world with their fascist ideologies, it's because their fuzzy prioritization logic placed said issue in the back of their queue.

There's no conspiracy here. Just a bunch of average Joes like you and like me stuck with a bad situation under constraints they cannot control.

If you disapprove, then I encourage you to vote with your money and cancel your subscription. But personally attacking Cryptic employees is probably not something you'd look back with approval years down the road.

You're a Cryptic fanboy...LOL...sorry, I just couldn resist.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

the only other choice would have been to delay the launch of the game, in which case nobody would get to play and the company loses money.
That was probably the better avenue of action, in retrospect, but once again, developers don't get to set release dates; the publisher has the final say.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 10:13 AM

I'd blame Atari more anyways. Given what I've seen them put out in the MMO world and the fact that they are crumbling financially.

Archived Post 02-23-2010 10:15 AM

yea I agree the game is mediocre, damn useless average joes