Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Interesting Warcraft-related tidbit. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=126476)

Archived Post 02-24-2010 02:07 PM

Interesting Warcraft-related tidbit.

So, they're discussing the ******** movie, once again. Who knows if this will ever actually happen, but G4TV interviewed some of the folks at Blizzard about their expectations for the movie.

What are they looking for? "Just a good movie"

While I hope this doesn't crush the directors monstrous ego (I like Sam Raimy, but most directors have monstrous egos), I feel that this is a smart move on their part. Video game movies are, by and large, atrocities in the face of humanity. Blizzard, hoping for their movie to be "watchable" is a reasonable expectation and, like the article says, demonstrates the fact that they can be reasonably well-grounded at times about things.

The flip side of this, and how I'm justifying posting it on the STO forums, is how opposite WoW is when compared to Star Trek. When you think of MMOs, you think of WoW. When you think of SCI-Fi TV (and to a certain extent movies) you think of Star Trek.

I'm personally hoping that a ******** movie makes as big of an impact on the VG movie market as I hope STO will make on the MMO market.

Here's the article.

Archived Post 02-24-2010 02:07 PM

what's a ********

Archived Post 02-24-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gungin_garbonzo
what's a ********

Making bombs and stuff.

Ask Bush Jr. or Rumsfeld.

Archived Post 02-24-2010 02:48 PM

Any guesses on what they would make a WoW movie about?

Watch as three brave companions try to pick up two more members for their team...
Be Amazed as a raid falls apart after four hours of spamming the same buttons over and over because a pink haired gnome went AFK...
You will be drawn into one cliche after another...
And featuring the same Jamaican guy as every troll.

See World of ********: l4t this summer!

Archived Post 02-24-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenstein (Post 2203017)

Watch as three brave companions try to pick up two more members for their team...
Be Amazed as a raid falls apart after four hours of spamming the same buttons over and over because a pink haired gnome went AFK...

Hey, I never went afk... except that one time, and that other time... oh, and this one time I, well... lies and slander I say! :cool:

Archived Post 02-24-2010 03:52 PM

You know, I had an idea for a WoW movie once... I don't think it would do so well, though, because while it would be really dramatic, it would cast the forsaken as the super ultimate badguys... Also, anybody who watched the movie would probably feel really pointless going back to the game (assuming it was sufficiently well done)...

Archived Post 02-24-2010 03:54 PM

starring leeroy jenkins

yay

Archived Post 02-24-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenstein (Post 2203017)

Awesome. I would totally watch that movie, but only in 3D

Archived Post 02-24-2010 05:39 PM

Who would play Leroy?

He would be the only character is the whole movie with any depth at all.

I guess it couldn't be worse than the Dungeons and Dragons movie they did awhile back with one of the Waynes brothers as the rouge.

Archived Post 02-24-2010 06:29 PM

I believe the reviewer on escapist said it best. He said that video games were usually already a rip-off on some already existing awesome movie, like how a Halo movie would just be an inferior Starship Troopers, or how a ******** movie would be an inferior Lord of The Rings.

So to make a good video game movie one should adapt a video game that for once is not a rip-off of a movie. Assassin's Creed comes to my mind. I have never ever seen a story quite like that. Would also make an excellent TV show with a nice Lost structure to it.

I'm also curious about the Prince of Persia movie, however, I fear it might be ruined because it's one of those Jerry Bruckheimer productions that inexplicably are always shot in permanent evening sun light conditions.

One basic rule for a decent video game movie: Don't let Uwe Boll do it.