Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Which era would you choose? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=129119)

Archived Post 02-27-2010 01:46 PM

Which era would you choose?

If you could be a starfleet captain which era in trek would you want to command a starship? I was just pondering this while waiting in a long line to get a haircut today.

ENTERPRISE: Yes, I know many hate the show, but its canon now. (I kinda liked it, but I hated the whole temporal cold war idea and the final episode was terrible). While it would be interesting to be the captain of one of the first true federation starships (if you assume that you come along on or around the final *awful* episode of ENT) I'd rather not be in that era myself. The only plus to me is that at least in that timeframe much of what we know in trek was undiscovered. So heck, you might be the captain of the ship that makes first contact with the Cardassians or Argelius.

The Original Series: I've got to admit, I like the time of the original series. Being the captain of one of the first 12 constitution calss starships would be so cool. I probably feel that way because I grew up watching TOS. But still, I'd like to be Captain of the USS Potemkin on a 5 year mission to explore strange new worlds. At least I wouldn't have the borg to worry about. ;).

The Next Generation: Too much magic technology for me, but I suppose if I actually lived in that world it'd be normal and I wouldn't complain. Since TNG's period is roughly the same as DS9 and VOY I'd have to admit that if I were a captain in that period I'd like to captain a defiant class ship. I honestly think that that galaxy lass ship is fugly. I could deal with the sovereign class, it looked cool, but the galaxy? A big freaking sauser with two grey ice cream sandwich looking nacelles. Besides, I would be worse than Picard about families aboard my ship with children. (Do soveriegns accomadate families? I don't think they do, but I am not sure.)

So I guess I'd be TOS era if I had to chose, with TNG as a 2nd choice. What would you decide if a Trek Genie gave you this choice?

Archived Post 02-27-2010 01:49 PM

DS9 era, STO era doesn't do it for me too much war. The war with the Klingons is just annoying and non-sensical (sorry Cryptic you lose points on plot) I could live with the threat of the Dominion better lol. Oh and everything else is too primitive. Go too far forward to like the 29th and 30th centuries we have seen and then you end up with ships that can bend space taking you anywhere (and anywhen) in an instant. I mean that is just cheating

Archived Post 02-27-2010 01:50 PM

I think I would choose the TOS era. It'd feel as if I went back in time and at the same time forward.

Archived Post 02-27-2010 01:50 PM

This era (Cryptic's).

More often than not I tend to be turned off by things like the prime directive and the Feds being so clean. This era gives me the neat cool new ships (Akira/Defiant/Sovereign/Luna) but it steps down a little from the "perfect" TNG era.

TOS era I'm not really into if only because I didn't see much of it and the themes didn't really interest me. The challenges are only Klingons and Romulans and what not. In more current eras you're talking timeline cold wars, undine, borg, etc.

Archived Post 02-27-2010 01:51 PM

Enterprise 1st, runner up TOS. TNG brings up the rear

Archived Post 02-27-2010 02:06 PM

I'd love to be in the TNG era. Nothing says WOOOO like the holodeck. :p Also the Galaxy class just had smexy lines and the oldies were still in service (Excelsior/Miranda/Stargazer/etc.). So it's like the best of two worlds (mid era and modern).

TOS would be the runner up, since it's the era most of the classic TNG ships still had the "new hull smell."

Enterprise era would be my last option, since I never watched the series. I dunno what they have to offer. :s

Archived Post 02-27-2010 02:16 PM

My favorite era is hands down TOS. Truly, it's the move TOS era, but I love the shows as well.

However...

For a game, I'd much prefer a post-Enterprise, pre-TOS era. So much to pull from.

THe big war could be the Earth Romulan War. Many of the now obvious species would be species we were just meeting for the first time. NPC's could be great. Maybe you could meet an older Archer. Or even go to the academy and meet a young Kirk, preparing for the Kobayashi Maru.

And the uniforms could be anything between Ent and TOS. The jumpsuits. The suits worn in the pilot with Pike. Kir's funky captain's outfit. I would have loved everything being recognizable because of the TOS transition, but still seem like it's all new because of the Enterprise era.

Archived Post 02-27-2010 02:16 PM

*I* would like to serve in Archer's time. It's a bridge between the familiar (modern astronautics) and the fantastic. It's also an Age of Exploration and great First Contact experiences.

My character, on the other hand, would feel right at home serving on a 29th/30th century timeship like Relativity, for the same reasons that I'd enjoy being in Archer's time.

Archived Post 02-27-2010 02:32 PM

TOS movie era for me, the uniforms are by far the best and the fledgeling federation / klingon truce/alience whatever you want to call it cuold be interresting!

Archived Post 02-27-2010 02:51 PM

I would like the TOS era, but from ST II - VI. I have always loved how the ships looked in those movies, the officer uniforms, etc.