Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Good news for all you Star Trek fans that hope for manned space flight to mars (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=131406)

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:40 AM

Good news for all you Star Trek fans that hope for manned space flight to mars

Google variable specific impulse magnetoplasma rocket. Developed by M.I.T., this rocket is to be the centerpiece of NASA's rockets. It can take NASA astronauts to mars in 39 days as opposed to 6 months with chemical rockets. It's to be used by NASA on the international space station in 2011 to boost it into a more stable orbit. It will also be used to ferry cargo to the moon and mars more cheaply than current technology, and at a fraction of the cost. No more need to carry several tons of fuel to get from point A to B.

To me this opens space travel up for commercial use. Helium-3 used in fusion is abundant on the moon, and many asteroids are made of valuable iron and nickel. I am starting to feel Star Trek is here sooner than we think.

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:43 AM

Would be great when they fly to the mars in Star Trek uniforms. :D

Make it so!!

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirius89 (Post 2276643)

I want them to play one of the Star Trek series theme songs on arrival. I'm leaning towards Voyager, but I think the original would be more appropriate.

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zirius89 (Post 2276643)

Make it so!!

and Janice Rand beehive hairdoos.....

..... and the helmets that fit said doos.....

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:46 AM

By the time NASA gets to Mars, Richard Branson will be there sipping a cocktail at his Virgin Galactic Resort.

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:47 AM

sadly Obama is NASA's Atari

your scheduled return to the moon and voyage to mars will no longer be supported by NASA due to budget cuts.

the future of space exploration is now in the hands of that insane British nitwit what runs Virgin Atlantic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsxgcLf0TSY <- i vote for this one.

I think it would be an amazing feeling for the astronauts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokia
Google variable specific impulse magnetoplasma rocket. Developed by M.I.T., this rocket is to be the centerpiece of NASA's rockets. It can take NASA astronauts to mars in 39 days as opposed to 6 months with chemical rockets. It's to be used by NASA on the international space station in 2011 to boost it into a more stable orbit. It will also be used to ferry cargo to the moon and mars more cheaply than current technology, and at a fraction of the cost. No more need to carry several tons of fuel to get from point A to B.

To me this opens space travel up for commercial use. Helium-3 used in fusion is abundant on the moon, and many asteroids are made of valuable iron and nickel. I am starting to feel Star Trek is here sooner than we think.

This is all well and good except the current resident in the White House has cancelled the return to the Moon project and thus also killed the Mars program. It seems that the only thing they are interested in is for NASA to concentrate on Global Warming and nothing else. This is too bad and shows a tremendous amount of short sightness and too much political influence on what should be a purely scientific endeavour.

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruug (Post 2276687)
This is all well and good except the current resident in the White House has cancelled the return to the Moon project and thus also killed the Mars program. It seems that the only thing they are interested in is for NASA to concentrate on Global Warming and nothing else. This is too bad and shows a tremendous amount of short sightness and too much political influence on what should be a purely scientific endeavour.

He cancelled the return to trip to the moon with a program that used chemical rockets. This rocket can make the trip there and back at a lot less cost. It can even ferry cargo to lunar orbit before the astronauts get there.

Archived Post 03-02-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruug (Post 2276687)

All true, except the scientific endeavour needs to lead to commercial viability, otherwise there is no incentive to fund it.