Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   STO PvP = Not Roddenberry's Star Trek Anymore (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=132527)

Archived Post 03-04-2010 12:20 AM

STO PvP = Not Roddenberry's Star Trek Anymore

What happened to the Star Trek we saw on TV and in the Movies? Seems STO has strayed greatly from the Universe Gene Roddenberry created for us over 40 years ago.

Ground Battles: Spam Expose Abilities until Exploits and Vaporize the enemy in a quick kill.

Lets see some classic MMO class difference, not all them lumped up together doing the same fighting. After all, clerics were never on the front lines, they were in the back as support. Wizards favored magic over meleeing. STO should be the same.

Tactical Officers: They supposed to be the Ground Forces / Security. They are trained for fighting. Let them handle it.

Science Officers: They supposed to be the Healers, not fighters.

Engineers: Sure we saw Data, Geordi, and O'Brian fight, but they weren't the mainstay fighters. And they surely didn't spam a bunch of different constructions in combat either, either. :p

Space Battles: Spam Science Abilities to overwhelm your opponent, so they lose control of their ship for an easy kill.

This isn't Star Trek, even in the 25th Century. I for one would love to return to the simple Trek Battles of Phasers, Disruptors, Torpedoes, and Tractor Beams; Not the Abuse Trek that STO has become.

Archived Post 03-04-2010 01:10 AM

You're to heavily comparing the TV shows to a computer game. You have to make allowances for the fact it's a game and not everything is possible or viable to do.

Can you imagine Science officers just having to heal everyone? I can't see that going down well. Your argument that "clerics" stay back and provide support is outdated and most MMO games over the recent years feature healers who are more than capable of killing things, just the other damage orientated classes could do it better.

Archived Post 03-04-2010 01:24 AM

maybe he is focusing too much on what the TV characters did, but he's right that we need combat to get back to basics and away from lockdowns

Archived Post 03-04-2010 06:08 AM

So.. you basically want Cryptic to re-release the only Star Trek: The Next Generation game that came out on Super Nintendo?

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1...past_super.jpg

Somehow I don't think that is going to fly in a corporate meeting. And anyone who has actually played the game will probably agree that what you have just described is fun for maybe 10 minutes.

Sorry, I don't mean to flame, but its one of those ideas that sounds good in theory but fails in practice.

Archived Post 03-04-2010 06:18 AM

This is not Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek Online.

This is simply Star Trek Online. :rolleyes:

Archived Post 03-04-2010 06:20 AM

This isent star trek, this is TerriBad Online

Fix the OP Science vessels before all else, and then add FvF or else balance stealth

Archived Post 03-04-2010 07:22 AM

You do realize that STO takes place during a time of declared war, not just distrust and hostility, like the series, right? During war, everyone does their part. Hell, combat medics nowadays still carry sidearms (or sub-machineguns) for defense (though they aren't supposed to use them offensively), and combat engineers do everything that a normal infantryman would do, but also plant and disarm explosives or maintain equipment on the battlefield. Furthermore, it hasn't been Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek for a LONG time. Part of TNG and ALL of DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise were AFTER HE DIED. And as I understand it, he didn't even have much to do with TNG. If you look at what Roddenberry was aiming for in TOS, you'll note that he was trying to do a Western in Space -- this is most apparent in Kirk's preference for a ripped shirt and phaser to the face over a diplomatic dinner.

Archived Post 03-04-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian (Post 2294109)
What happened to the Star Trek we saw on TV and in the Movies? Seems STO has strayed greatly from the Universe Gene Roddenberry created for us over 40 years ago.

Ground Battles: Spam Expose Abilities until Exploits and Vaporize the enemy in a quick kill.

Lets see some classic MMO class difference, not all them lumped up together doing the same fighting. After all, clerics were never on the front lines, they were in the back as support. Wizards favored magic over meleeing. STO should be the same.

Tactical Officers: They supposed to be the Ground Forces / Security. They are trained for fighting. Let them handle it.

Engineers: Sure we saw Data, Geordi, and O'Brian fight, but they weren't the mainstay fighters. And they surely didn't spam a bunch of different constructions in combat either, either. :p

I do not agree with this, this is not Fantasy, you are making a mistake with the analogy.

It would be more accurate to compare the team to a modern Field medic, and Field Engineer part of the Armed forces rather than Wizzards and Clerics of the Fantasy World (of which we assume they fight like that because they never existed to begin with).

In my opinion the roles in ground combat are well defined, if you watch some DS-9 during the dominion Wars you will see Bashir and O'brian as well as Dax in numerous battles on the ground.

All star Fleet personnel receive combat Training.

Quote:

Space Battles: Spam Science Abilities to overwhelm your opponent, so they lose control of their ship for an easy kill.

This isn't Star Trek, even in the 25th Century. I for one would love to return to the simple Trek Battles of Phasers, Disruptors, Torpedoes, and Tractor Beams; Not the Abuse Trek that STO has become.
This one I actually agree with, shift it to more tactics invloving maneuvers (formations?), and power management and direct damage rather than stacking of Abilities and CC mechanics like a fantasy game.

Archived Post 03-04-2010 12:12 PM

You guys bring up Post-Roddenberry, but yet you forget that Rick Berman and dozens of others worked with Roddenberry. DS9 was about mysticism and warfare and Voyager was more of the return to mainstay Trek with the Unknown with the twist of being lost in space.

But yet, STO's warfare isn't Trek, it's more about spamming abilities. What happened to Federation Ships trying to go for the weak aft shields of Klingon warships? What about Klingon warships front shields supposed to be stronger for frontal assaults?

And the Klingons arent their own faction, they are just a mirror image of the Federation. The only thing Unique about Klingons is their ship skin and their racial character abilities.

Archived Post 03-04-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian (Post 2294109)

I remember countless episodes where someone got vaporized in a single shot. What show did you watch? In fact, I seem to remember that phasers had multiple settings...one of those being PWNURFACEVAPORIZEWTFNOOB. Realistic Star Trek combat would be very boring, imho.

Space combat: Did you see The Wrath of Khan? They dropped their shields WITHOUT firing! What about the magic torpedo in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. What about....let's just say that the science teams and engineering teams did a great deal of hacking and inventing crud to solve the shows problem. I suppose, if you wanted it to be like the show, we could shoot at each other for 40 minutes, then one of our BO's would pop up and say "Click here for really cool trick that will own the noobs!!"

But what fun would that be?

It is an MMO, and therefore there is a genre factor to be taken into consideration.