Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   The Tribble with Klingons (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=133935)

Archived Post 03-05-2010 11:04 PM

Worst mission Ever....The Tribble with Klingons

Ok.. I can get there's going to be bugs in a game.... I can get that there is not a 100% adherence to Star Trek Canon in this game.. but for the love of Gene Roddenberry...

WHY oh WHY in this Mission does the actual USS Defiant.. come in and start shooting BEAM.. yes..BEAM phasers out it's deflector dish???? and no Pulse Phaser Cannons to be seen, and PHOTON torpedoes??

Really Cryptic.. one of the most ICONIC and recognized ships in the history of the IP, and you do THIS to it? I love this game, but I'm really saddened by the total disrespect for canon and the slightest attention to Detail here. Dan Stahl, and Gozer out to have their HEADS examined after they roll for this.. it's extremely disappointing to see one of your favorite icons of star trek reduced to a visually bugged and totally incorrectly designed piece of trash like that.. it didn't even have the proper registry.. just giant red letters in Cryptic Font.. "USS DEFIANT" for it's registry.. come on... really??

if Cryptic continues to do things like this on ships that are a basis for the Shows, and this game period.. consider how much of the fan-base you might lose loyalty from because of it.

I've been a shill for this game up till this point, namely because of my love for the IP, and the game as a whole.. but it was really shaken tonight when I ran into this pathetic attempt to fool a "Gamer" and not a true respect for the IP that you've made a game from.

sincerely..

a VERY disappointed Fan.. :(

Archived Post 03-05-2010 11:11 PM

I lost hope for canon after I committed genocide completing Starfleets objectives.

Archived Post 03-05-2010 11:19 PM

If Gene whould be around DS9 neve rwould happend...

Archived Post 03-06-2010 01:02 AM

if Gene were still around (God rest his soul), a LOT of things would be different.

the world and time he lived in weren't so different from the present. terrorrism is the new cold war, we're not just fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, we're fighting an ideological war. it was a time of prosperty, with a long shadow cast over it, much like today.

Gene used Science Fiction as a means to escape from under the shadow, to see the world beyond it's veil and what it could be for all of us. few still use the genre to do so, and fewer use his IP to elevate a sense of global community and faith in what mankind can achieve if united as he did.

Star trek will never be the same.

Archived Post 03-06-2010 01:15 AM

wonder if we could get a lawsuit going against Cryptic/Atari for copy-write and trademark infringement? sure its called star trek, some sights and sounds may be from star trek, but at the end of the day this game is no star trek

Archived Post 03-06-2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoobiusMaximus (Post 2313735)
wonder if we could get a lawsuit going against Cryptic/Atari for copy-write and trademark infringement? sure its called star trek, some sights and sounds may be from star trek, but at the end of the day this game is no star trek

In short? No.

Archived Post 03-06-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecadet1138 (Post 2313675)
if Gene were still around (God rest his soul), a LOT of things would be different.

the world and time he lived in weren't so different from the present. terrorrism is the new cold war, we're not just fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, we're fighting an ideological war. it was a time of prosperty, with a long shadow cast over it, much like today.

Gene used Science Fiction as a means to escape from under the shadow, to see the world beyond it's veil and what it could be for all of us. few still use the genre to do so, and fewer use his IP to elevate a sense of global community and faith in what mankind can achieve if united as he did.

Star trek will never be the same.

Amen. And STO is still better than the last movies and Enterprise.

Concerning the Defiant: Is it really THE Defiant? Or is it a new one that's called Defiant out of tradition? I saw her firing cannons, I guess she has the same loadout a player captain get's with his Defiant, a mix of beam phasers, cannons and photon torpedoes. If it should be the original Defiant the canonical loadout would be two dual phaser cannons and two quantum torpedo launchers fore and one beam array and one quantum torpedo launcher aft. But there are thinks they should look at before that. Like the Prometheus and Nova firing dual phasers from the bussard collectors.

Archived Post 03-06-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbreez (Post 2313198)
words

tee-hee-hee

Archived Post 03-15-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Tar
Amen. And STO is still better than the last movies and Enterprise.

Concerning the Defiant: Is it really THE Defiant? Or is it a new one that's called Defiant out of tradition? I saw her firing cannons, I guess she has the same load-out a player captain get's with his Defiant, a mix of beam phasers, cannons and photon torpedoes. If it should be the original Defiant the canonical load-out would be two dual phaser cannons and two quantum torpedo launchers fore and one beam array and one quantum torpedo launcher aft. But there are thinks they should look at before that. Like the Prometheus and Nova firing dual phasers from the bussard collectors.

I'm not asking for the exact layout from DS9, but you'd think after being explained that when sisko made it what it was, it became viable to use starfleet-wide which is why it should reflect that in the game, it just looked silly, and plain wrong to have the "Defiant" in this mission firing beam phasers where cannons should be firing, and even at that firing out of the graphically wrong place on the hull to boot, to borrow some dramatic license here to illustrate why this is incredibly annoying to me... imagine this...

The Opening Borg battle scene in First contact.... we see the defiant swooping between large debris and firing cannons... hitting the cube several times... cooll got it...

Now enter the Cryptic-Prise... the Sovereign class ship flies in firing Phaser cannons from the tips of the Warp nacelles, and Quantum torpedoes from the Bridge Dome on top of the hull..

now if that had made it into the movie.. trek fans would have rioted.. I'm not advocating a doomsayer attitude here, just miffed that they chose to use an ACTUAL canon ship in a mission, then made it out to be completely NON-Cannon, and I agree with the Prometheus problems too.. it's just wrong, and a developer should have had the eyes to spot this before open-beta even...

Archived Post 03-15-2010 11:29 AM

I'm just upset that the mission doesn't "branch" giving you the choice to help the Klingons by glassing the planet in order to rid the Galaxy of that horrible pest species.

Glass Planet? Y/N/F*CK YEA!

Bridge Officer: "Captain, I recommend that we dust off and nuke the site from orbit... Just to be sure"
Captain: "Make it so, Number 1"