Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Gameplay Bug Reports (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Bad framerate and missing sounds (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=135077)

Archived Post 03-08-2010 03:54 AM

Bad framerate and missing sounds

When I first started playing 3 weeks ago, everything was fine. All sound effects were playing ok and the game was generally smooth playing at full resolution with graphics set at recommended.
Things have nnow changed and its got nothing to do with my computer as i've changed nothing.

First, the sound effects started acting up. Whenever I go to full impulse it used to make a sound effect as you heard the engines power up. Now there's nothing, and the graphic for the warp nacelle trails has also disappeared.

Then, the graphics started acting up too. Star systems that were fine to play in before suddenly had dreadful framerates (Deepspace K7 for one). I tried dropping the graphics from recommended to setting them all the way towards speed preference but it didnt fix anything. Now I spend most of my time in space missions playing at the half resolution setting just to get things to play smoothly. If it helps to diagnose the issue, i've noticed it mostly happens on missions where i'm going to be very close to a planet or if there are a lot of small bodies (asteroids etc) in the area of the mission.

Its not just me experiencing these issues, my wife has also now started to see these symptoms after only playing for 1 week, as have many of the people in my fleet.

Archived Post 03-08-2010 04:08 AM

Strange. I have an older computer but nothing changed for me so I think it must have something to do with your computers. btw as a small help: You can use the /renderscale command to set other gameworld resolutions than only half resolution. Depending on the lag I use 3 keybindings for me on F9, F10, F11

/bind F9 "renderscale 0.5" <-- that's the same as "half-resolution" from the graphics menue
/bind F10 "renderscale 0.75"
/bind F11 "renderscale 1"

In most cases 75 % rendering helps enough for me so that it runs smooth

Archived Post 03-08-2010 04:22 AM

Oh excellent, thanks for the tip. Does 0.75 look reasonably ok? Just wondering cause I hate using half res unless i really really have to, as it makes the game all pixelated and i kinda enjoy playing in 3d from time to time.
As for how things changed so suddenly for us, i doubt its our computers simply for two reasons. Nothing has been changed on either system since we started playing (no hardware/software/drivers changes made at all) and the fact that a lot of the people in my fleet are telling me they're having the same issues, and im sure all these people arent playing on the same type of computer i am.

Archived Post 03-08-2010 05:21 AM

Yeah 0.75 looks much better and gives a good boost too.

I believe you that some of your fleet have the same problem but could have something to do with graphic card type, autoupdate for windows or whatever. Try updating your drivers, maybe helps.

Archived Post 03-08-2010 06:03 AM

Thanks again for the tip, changed my setting to 0.75 and everything runs fine with a minimum of graphics reduction now. Only one or two systems are still showing bad framerates, and the main thing i've noticed about those issues is that it only seems to happen when my camera is pointed at the nearby planet. Point the camera into empty space opposite the planet and everything runs smooth as butter.

Archived Post 03-08-2010 08:43 AM

I haven't had framerate issues, but I did notice that sound has been acting up since the last patch or two. It seems fine, but then during a ground battle, many sound effects are missing, and sometimes graphics are missing too. I've had room contents not appear until I actually pass the threshold. That is, standing outside the room, all I see is a black wall in front of me. I can see NOTHING in the room until I actually start entering, at which point the graphics are displayed.

It clears up eventually for me, but is a bit annoying.