Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   DEVS: How about Bat'leth tournaments? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=135929)

Archived Post 03-09-2010 02:20 PM

DEVS: How about Bat'leth tournaments?
 
With the addition of new pvp maps and types incoming, I propose Klingons have an arena set aside for actual Bat'leth Tournaments, along with an actual game mechanic for managing the tournament.

For example:

The tournaments would run based on rank (not level).

Up to 32 combatants in a bracket tournament, double elimination, with awards for the top 4 finishers, or if a 64 man tournament, the top 8 get awards. The tournament could be adjusted based on the number of people who sign up.

I think the top awards should be nicely designed Bat'leths, different in appearance than the other run of the mill bat'leths but with additional buffs and usable in ground pvp of course, since we have no walls to hang them on or desks to put trophies on :) There wouldn't have to be a ton of designs, but just some different buffs on them.

In the actual combat, there would be NO weapons allowed other than a Bat'leth. There would be NO skills allowed that were not melee (meaning no Stasis Field, no Cover Shield or turrets, and no Stealth Module, just for a few examples). The point of the tournament is to fight with the Bat'leth, not anything else. It could be resolved to remove kits altogether for the combat so that even Lunge would not be able to be used either, since Engineer and Science officers can't get that skill either, or leg sweep. This is about combat with the Bat'leth, and nothing else.

Now, this idea is primarily for Bat'leths, or for other melee weapons when they finally come in to the game, but a tournament for 1 v 1 beams, 2 v 2, 5 v 5 could all be managed, but it would take the devs making the arena and the mechanic to run the bracket etc. If they do *not* do any of this for us, we could do it on our own but it would be a lot harder to implement. Hopefully the devs will take a look and see that this would be a good thing.

Archived Post 03-09-2010 02:45 PM

Meh. I don't think there would be much skill in a 1 on 1 "bat'leth only" fight. You'd have two players sitting at keyboards basically mashing "1", "2" and "3" and that would largely be the extent of available strategy and tactics.


A better tournament would be 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5 team play with full use of kits and captain abilities, but where the only weapon you can use is the bat'leth.

Then you have real skill coming into play -- teamwork, heals, holds, snares, buffs, debuffs, etc. Much of what makes ground combat interesting and skillful is teamwork and kit usage, not weapon selection.

Archived Post 03-09-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamz
Meh. I don't think there would be much skill in a 1 on 1 "bat'leth only" fight. You'd have two players sitting at keyboards basically mashing "1", "2" and "3" and that would largely be the extent of available strategy and tactics.


A better tournament would be 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5 team play with full use of kits and captain abilities, but where the only weapon you can use is the bat'leth.

Then you have real skill coming into play -- teamwork, heals, holds, snares, buffs, debuffs, etc. Much of what makes ground combat interesting and skillful is teamwork and kit usage, not weapon selection.

Putting the tournament mechanic in as a whole is part of the idea. For myself, talking about Bat'leth's only, is because I absolutely freaking loath that a sci officer can fart and put a root and stun on you in ground pvp. It's beyond ridiculous. For a team oriented tournament, I don't see a problem with it until there are teams with 5 sci officers on them, and that ain't makin' it. Put a team with a max of 1-2 sci officers (as they are now) and I can live with it.

And, whether you're hitting 1,2,1 with a bat'leth, you're doing the same thing with any of the other skills too bud, some of them are just grossly overpowered. You know, like VM and SNB in space.

Archived Post 03-09-2010 08:59 PM

I'm just sayin' there's interesting possibilities when you have 10 things you can do laid out in front of you. I can:
[my rules]
Buff my team with Overwatch
Buff my team with Rally Cry
Summon 2 NPC security escorts
Throw a smoke grenade
Throw a knockback grenade
Lower my target's resists
Buff my damage
Left strike bat'leth
Right strike bat'leth
Cross-strike bat'leth
Use a hypo
Use a shield regen

vs

[your rules]
Left strike bat'leth
Right strike bat'leth
Cross-strike bat'leth


Which set of skills is going to make for the more interesting, skillful tournament?

True, science teams can spam holds on you but, a) they're using bat'leths too so they still have to run up to you and some of their holds break on damage and b) if you're tactical you have a kit that gives you hold immunity part-time and if you're engineer you can drop phaser turrets, mines, etc and be able to basically attack the science guys even while held (fully skilled up phaser turrets do hurt).

So I think you're giving way too much credit to the ability of science officers to ruin a bat'leth battle.


Incidentally, I would bet that 5 Tacticals can beat 5 Science Officers in a contest using my rules. With skilled up ground combat skills they do a lot more DPS and if they all use the Squad Leader kits they'll have endless AE heals!

Archived Post 03-10-2010 08:08 PM

Don't see it needing to be Klingon only or bat'leth only. A melee only PVP match would be pretty awesome if it were technically possible to limit the players joining it. That gives people the option of martial arts, bat'leths, and any of the coming other melee weapons.

Also have to agree with Slamz, not just because he always seems to be right, but because he is right. What makes ground PVP fun is the potential synergies in your own skills/kits/weapons and also with your team. Granted, some of those abilities don't thematically mesh with a melee pvp match, but it'd be more fun including those that don't fit than it would be not having any of those extra abilities.

After all, the reason it's so much fun killing science officers is because they can so easily disable you. It's meaningful when you take one down 1v1, or sweet revenge when you unload on him after seeing him blow his heals on his teammates.

Archived Post 03-10-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slamz
I'm just sayin' there's interesting possibilities when you have 10 things you can do laid out in front of you. I can:
[my rules]
Buff my team with Overwatch
Buff my team with Rally Cry
Summon 2 NPC security escorts
Throw a smoke grenade
Throw a knockback grenade
Lower my target's resists
Buff my damage
Left strike bat'leth
Right strike bat'leth
Cross-strike bat'leth
Use a hypo
Use a shield regen

vs

[your rules]
Left strike bat'leth
Right strike bat'leth
Cross-strike bat'leth


Which set of skills is going to make for the more interesting, skillful tournament?

True, science teams can spam holds on you but, a) they're using bat'leths too so they still have to run up to you and some of their holds break on damage and b) if you're tactical you have a kit that gives you hold immunity part-time and if you're engineer you can drop phaser turrets, mines, etc and be able to basically attack the science guys even while held (fully skilled up phaser turrets do hurt).

So I think you're giving way too much credit to the ability of science officers to ruin a bat'leth battle.


Incidentally, I would bet that 5 Tacticals can beat 5 Science Officers in a contest using my rules. With skilled up ground combat skills they do a lot more DPS and if they all use the Squad Leader kits they'll have endless AE heals!

I'm just concerned, perhaps mortally so (/grin) about the fact that ground pvp may be even more of a CC-fest than it is in space. Whatever it might be called, a root, stun, hold, etc, they have the same effects, which is that you can't fight at all. Getting rooted in other games, I could still fight from that position, I just couldn't move. Mez and stun, well, that's really what we have here, it's all stun actually.

Anyway, the overall point is that we should have the mechanic put in because I think it would be enjoyable for a lot of people, and it should have everything from 1 v 1 to at least 5 v 5. There should be awards, like a nice Bat'leth for Bat'leth tournaments, new sash designs to that you can only get by doing these tournaments, new weapons (beam) and also new melee weapons like mek'leth, d'g tagh, tIk' leth, etc that all are obviously trophies from winning the tournaments. Make them no trade, worth the same EC value as normal weapons of their mark and tier, and give us all something to strive for :) More competition = always better.

EDIT: While I have an RA5 and a BG5, I'm a Klingon player most of the time. However, for these tournaments, I have no problem with them being mixed faction, unless the people holding the tournament *want* it to be Klingon only. We players should have some leeway in setting up the tournaments, and deciding the max number of players in it, for example: Fleet A wants to have an in-house martial arts tournament (no weapons at all in hand) and they can only produce 8 people, well, they should be able to do that. Cryptic has many strong points and weak points as devs, but one point that surely isn't weak is their ability to customize design. They could put in a feature that would allow the "Master at Arms" person running the tournament to design the prize themselves, whether is is a sash, a pistol, a bat'leth. All Cryptic would have to do is make sure they don't add in the ability to be stupid, like a pink sash or some such. By doing this, Fleets could have their own custom prizes. There could be a Grand Bat'leth Tournament that is designed to only take the WINNERS of previous Bat'leth tournies. And yep, Cryptic could do some official ones too. Anyway, I do think you guys get it :)

Archived Post 03-11-2010 10:52 AM

sounds misconceived if a sci officer can't use his/her abilities. Tactical would win 100% of the time

Archived Post 03-11-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIMadman (Post 2347252)
sounds misconceived if a sci officer can't use his/her abilities. Tactical would win 100% of the time

This is 100% true. A tactical spec officer with melee kit will do 2x the damage of other classes. Melee only tournaments can only work as RP events. As competitive events they are not feasible.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM.