Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Why you should never laugh at people.... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=137401)

Archived Post 03-12-2010 08:02 PM

Why you should never laugh at people....

A few weeks ago some poor guy posted that he'd accidentally deleted a high level character. I read it and laughed.."that's crazy, how could anyone do anything that stupid". Tonight I logged on to what I thought was the "Holodeck". Eager to test some of the new shineys. I logged on and saw that all three characters I transferred over were there. Deciding it might be fun to check out the Klingon missions on a lowbie (and to see if new race options were there), I deleted my highest level toon.

"Hey where's all the new stuff", I said, surprised I couldn't find anything. It was only after asking this very stupid question in Zone chat did I realize what I'd done. I clicked on "Holodeck" but was somehow logged onto live. I had deleted my toon. All her gear and three rare Tribblles I bred...gone. I couldn't even get angry as it was 100% my own fault.

I guess it's a good thing the leveling is easy in this game. I get to see all the content over again!

Archived Post 03-12-2010 08:04 PM

Holodeck is the main server.
Tribble is the test server.
Even says so on the launcher. (well... says Tribble is the test shard)

Archived Post 03-12-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chat
Holodeck is the main server.
Tribble is the test server.
Even says so on the launcher. (well... says Tribble is the test shard)

Yup..as I finished typing this. I realized the pure stupidity of what I'd done..was even worse. I think in my head I was thinking.."Holodeck = Simulation = Test". Even though I've logged into Tribble to test before. Shows what a very long day and being a hurry will do to you... :rolleyes:

Archived Post 03-12-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstahr (Post 2357315)
Yup..as I finished typing this. I realized the pure stupidity of what I'd done..was even worse. I think in my head I was thinking.."Holodeck = Simulation = Test". Even though I've logged into Tribble to test before. Shows what a very long day and being a hurry will do to you... :rolleyes:

it is rather confusing yes.
The names really should be reversed.

And just in case you felt it was missing from the thread... *points and laughs and goes and gets another cup of tea... maybe a sammich*
What? Chat has a hunger.

Archived Post 03-12-2010 08:25 PM

I love laughing at stupid people.

I am laughing at you right now.

Archived Post 03-12-2010 08:26 PM

Ouch! sad bit of cherry topping is some dev probably brought up the confusing names in a meeting but it never went anywhere.

Archived Post 03-12-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capulet (Post 2357371)
Ouch! sad bit of cherry topping is some dev probably brought up the confusing names in a meeting but it never went anywhere.

i imagine that that meeting went something like this

Archived Post 03-12-2010 09:07 PM

I too think naming the live server holodeck was kinda wtf-stupid... that would be the perfect name for the test server. The live server should be called Prime or Reality or something along those lines... or even Tribble.

Archived Post 03-12-2010 09:22 PM

Nope, cant post it ill get in trouble.
Ill post the opposite instead.

What a very smart thing to do. I cant completely understand how easy it is to make such a mistake.

Palm... his face in it

Archived Post 03-13-2010 03:48 AM

What's really funny is: I just log into the game... I have no idea what this tribble / holodeck jazz is all about. I enter my PW, press <enter>, wait a few seconds, click Enter, and play.

Where is the test server? hehehehe