Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Is STO part of star trek cannon? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=141613)

Archived Post 03-21-2010 09:28 PM

Is STO part of star trek cannon?

Sorry to post here not sure where eles to ask. After talking about the game to a few of my friends there telling me that the game's timeline events and people that cryptic are not really part of the star trek cannon and should be use to talk about ST lore. Are they right or just upset that having a borg tribble or klinkgon empire at war with the starfleet should not happen?

Archived Post 03-21-2010 09:35 PM

They are approved by CBS, so yes STO is considered canon by CBS at this time.

CBS is currently the franchise decision council for Star Trek.

Archived Post 03-21-2010 09:36 PM

We wanted to know this aswell.

Cool.

Archived Post 03-21-2010 11:17 PM

According to Paramount, Star Trek is only considered canon if it is on TV or in theaters.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 12:25 AM

I have recently deemed it canon.

I'm also grumpy because I'm out of coffee and I've done my upgrades for this week...I still have 5 hours left on my shift. :(

Archived Post 03-22-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanMax
According to Paramount, Star Trek is only considered canon if it is on TV or in theaters.

This is the rule. If its not on TV or in a Movie. It didnt happen. STO is not canon, like ST: Armada I & II are not canon, like ST: New Worlds is not canon, like SFC I II & III are not canon, like every Star Trek book is not canon.

This leaves room for everyone to have their cake and eat it too, reduces Retcons and defines a core story that can not be disputed, it happened on TV or the silver screen therefore it is. Otherwise it is not. So as Walter Cronkite said, and that's the way it is.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 01:56 AM

i will never call it canon. the only thing that is canon is the tv shows and films

comics, games, books etc are not and never will be canon, until a film or tv confirms it.

it is a sort of expanded universe canon as a lot of what happened in the books and comics tie into this game and if you want to believe its canon then thats your choice but is it canon. no

Archived Post 03-22-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenstein (Post 2412666)
They are approved by CBS, so yes STO is considered canon by CBS at this time.

CBS is currently the franchise decision council for Star Trek.

Star Trek Canon is defined as anything that appeared in the Live Action tv series, movies and recently The Animated Series (but given this was a marketing stunt, dont expect it to last).

STO, like every Star Trek game before it, is not canon in any way shape or form, it merely follows it.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 04:25 AM

Not a good idea

It should be treated a alternate timeline. It would fix tons if issues. TV shows new one was rumored to be in the works CBS has a bad habit of changing what many people to consider as fact with each new TV show. After all WWIII toke place in the 1990s if you are up on ST:TOS. Movies story lines. Plus gives them more freedom in the story line. It would not be that hard to say each show is a alternate timeline.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 04:26 AM

Probably is.

End of the days its irrelevant mind. Canon changes every few days