Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   The C-Store (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=141982)

Archived Post 03-22-2010 08:36 PM

The C-Store

hm ... i personally dislike the C-Store.

the game costs 3 euros more per month than any other mmo. it has less content than other mmos. and above all that i have to PAY for making twinks to get something done to fill the month i payed for. three char slots are far to less. it should be possible to have 3 kli and 3 fed chars, without paying extra money.

as far as the ships are concerned, isnt it unfair to make kli pay for having as much ship variants as federation?

in addition i really think, making people pay for something that took perhaps 1 day of designing work, is really stupid (you make ONE product selling it to endless amount of people!). i really understand paying for thing as long as a direct work in this case is visible. (eg changing a charname/race etc, which needs a person to open and work on the save.dat on the server) this seems to me like a money-well for cryptic. you pay for things that should be available in game. having only 1 base-ship class per tier isnt very much, and they are all restricted to their tier. and now i will have to pay AGAIN to make game fun.

its like selling a car only with its basics, and then make people pay for every single little tiny thing again, a you need to pay for tires, an engine and so on.

cryptic said in the beginning, that everything that will be in C-Store will be available through gaming too. that was a LIE. i cant get a ferengi-playable-char by doing a mission, nor can i get these ships by doing a mission. and the 2nd respecc will cost 20ooo !!! merits. i got 20k merits when not changing anything on my BOFF and heading to RA5, then i saved 20k merits. if you are RA5 and you need to respecc a third time again, it will take you 2 month to gain 20k merits again. thats WAY to much, so people are indirectly forced to pay for a standart function by using c-store.

as far as marketing is concerned this is someway logical, but its also some kind of robbing a person.

while some of these c-store things are just cosmetical, others are not. having a acceptable amount of charslots, having the possibility of respeccing (without 2 months of merit-farming!), which is needed in a game where abilities will be changed to fit balance. (as like in wow, there are changes very often, but then the respecc is free !!!)

the next thing coming up will probably be things like new missions through c-store and minigames through c-store and items through c-store. and all that will not be able by playing.

the game has to less for to much money to cost, and in addition everything that is neccessary to make the game long term playable is only available through C-Points.

imagine every respecc in wow would cost 10 euros or needs 10k gold or such. imagine every hairstyle change would cost 10 euros. imagine every new item-tier set in wow would cost extra money. there are reasons why this game is having 5+million players. its because you pay 13 euros and have a LOT to do and make, that you are NOT payed for AGAIN.
the only things that cost money in wow are things, that need direct work on servers (you know changing a name needs someone open you char-file and change it, someone that earns a loan, and such things, here its one time work, payed a thousand times ... )

with this c-store system you are about to create a devided gaming society. the ones that have money will have more respeccs, more chars, more ships, more and better items. simply: more fun.

i know its cryptic, but it has to be said

Archived Post 03-22-2010 08:59 PM

MMO Games with Microtransactions

Everquest -
Everquesty 2
Star Wars Galaxies
Sony uses Station Cash and also. Card games that allow users to buy items in game.

Star Wars: The Old Republic, will have microtrasactions.

Just to name a few of the Pay 14.99 games that have microtrasactions or Card Games. Its a trend that is comming to an MMO near you.

Heres a pretty good article:
http://www.massively.com/2009/09/11/...otransactions/

Also, You said that STO was 3 EU more than any other MMO? So are you telling me that WOW, EQ, EQ2, ****, Lord of the Rings Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Age of Conan, and the rest that charge 14.99 Dollars US, are cheaper per month in Europe? What a rip.... we should march

Mor

Archived Post 03-22-2010 09:01 PM

Don't forget WoW has micro-transactions too. Sadly, they're here to stay and are going to mainstream in all MMOs going forward.

It's there in pay to play and free to play MMOs.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeonJean
Don't forget WoW has micro-transactions too.

Ack, been awhile since I played, didnt know that.
Mor

Archived Post 03-22-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Don't forget WoW has micro-transactions too. Sadly, they're here to stay and are going to mainstream in all MMOs going forward.

It's there in pay to play and free to play MMOs.

Yea...but the MT's in WOW are high priced server transfer, transsexual toon type things. When I left the "pet" store had 2 pets where a portion went to charity. STO has more of a DnD online type of store.(or will when it finally has something).

Archived Post 03-22-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorBlade
Ack, been awhile since I played, didnt know that.
Mor

Yup, WoW has your standards like paid rename character & server transfers, but they also have at minimum two digital pets for sale in the Blizzard store.

Micro-transactions are here forever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planet03
Yea...but the MT's in WOW are high priced server transfer, transsexual toon type things. When I left the "pet" store had 2 pets where a portion went to charity. STO has more of a DnD online type of store.(or will when it finally has something).

I didn't know part of the funds went to charity. What a wonderful way to rationalize your purchase.

I'd be amazed if Cryptic/Atari did that. Buy the old Enterprise-NX ship from the C-Store and part of the proceeds goes to the Make-A-Wish foundation.

(I say part because companies rarely tell what percent is actually donated.)

Archived Post 03-22-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Yup, WoW has your standards like paid rename character & server transfers, but they also have at minimum two digital pets for sale in the Blizzard store.

I didn't know part of the funds went to charity. What a wonderful way to rationalize your purchase.

I'd be amazed if Cryptic/Atari did that. Buy the old Enterprise-NX ship from the C-Store and part of the proceeds goes to the Make-A-Wish foundation.

No but the government keeps a close eye on it to prevent fraudalent claims of charity.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

It was a minuscule amount from what I remember. Blizzard was no saint if I remember correctly.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planet03

Ummm, not really. There have been no announced plans of adding weapons, items or experience boosters to the C-store. All we're getting is new options for customization, more character slots and a respec option.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 10:01 PM

The C-Store is just here to let you get an alternative way to get stuff like respecs, character slots, etc
It's not like they're making you use it.