Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Tholions? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=142012)

Archived Post 03-22-2010 11:07 PM

Tholions?

Hey Guys

Has there been any mention of the Tholions being in STO, I know that they aren't a major Empire,
but they would be an interesting faction to go up against.

I think Captain Kirks skirmish with them was the only appearance on screen, But , they have been mentioned in TNG a few times.

Anyone remember the board game Starfleet Battles which Interplay tried to translate into Starfleet Command?

I still play Starfleet Command I wish Tholions were in it as well.

I would like to see an appearance by the Tholions oneday in the future

Archived Post 03-22-2010 11:13 PM

They actually appeared in the Enterprise mirror universe episode In a Mirror Darkly. The more modern special effects let you see more than their crystal head too. They're sort of a crystalline insectoid race.

I'd love to see the Tholians make an appearance in STO. I doubt the game engine could support a Tholian Web, though.

Archived Post 03-22-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelPaladin
They actually appeared in the Enterprise mirror universe episode In a Mirror Darkly. The more modern special effects let you see more than their crystal head too. They're sort of a crystalline insectoid race.

I'd love to see the Tholians make an appearance in STO. I doubt the game engine could support a Tholian Web, though.

I think the game could manage a Tholian Web. It'd probably have to be scripted though.

I also look forward to seeing Tholians ingame... Eventually as a playable race :D

Archived Post 03-22-2010 11:25 PM

You're right. It could probably be done as a scripted event. I was thinking more along the lines of a normal ability they used against you in combat, though.

Archived Post 03-23-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelPaladin
You're right. It could probably be done as a scripted event. I was thinking more along the lines of a normal ability they used against you in combat, though.

it would be possible, they can make it a "debuff" and when applied to you your ship stops dead and a web graphic appears around your ship or something

Archived Post 03-23-2010 12:28 AM

The Tholian web has always been hard to do. In SFB the pen paper version of SFC you still had to have two ships to use it, till they came out with web casters.

Still the Tholians would be a cool race for them to add. Make a nice neutral race in the galactic war

Archived Post 03-23-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicFB
The Tholian web has always been hard to do. In SFB the pen paper version of SFC you still had to have two ships to use it, till they came out with web casters.

Still the Tholians would be a cool race for them to add. Make a nice neutral race in the galactic war

Considering the Timeline for STO Webcasters would most likely be standard equipment for Tholion ships or even a more advanced version of the Tholion Web would be in service. lol

If they could get the licence from Interplay maybe we could see the Hydrans , Lyrans etc make an appearance as well. Maybe the makers of SFB still hold the licence for those ?

Since the Tholions were Hated by the Klingons and vice versa, according to SFB lol, that could make some great PvE missions for the Klingons:cool:

Archived Post 03-23-2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedbackJedi (Post 2418962)
Considering the Timeline for STO Webcasters would most likely be standard equipment for Tholion ships or even a more advanced version of the Tholion Web would be in service. lol

If they could get the licence from Interplay maybe we could see the Hydrans , Lyrans etc make an appearance as well. Maybe the makers of SFB still hold the licence for those ?

Since the Tholions were Hated by the Klingons and vice versa, according to SFB lol, that could make some great PvE missions for the Klingons:cool:

ADB holds the license for SFB so they would be the ones to talk to ;)

Archived Post 03-23-2010 03:36 AM

Bring on the Tholians and their webcasters!

Archived Post 03-23-2010 06:35 AM

The Tholians are highly xenophobic and do not have contact with other races except on extremely rare occasions.

It would not be good for immersion to have them a major element in the game, but to hear about them occasionally, or briefly glimpse their ships at one point, would be ok.